My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swedish Rite

SimonM

Dear Bro. SimonM!

Could you tell me please on what level in the official Swedish conversion charts are the Knight Templar / Knight of Malta degrees?

Fraternal regards from Poland!

KT and the Knights of Malta can visit up to VIII. Please note that we dont have established relations and visitation rights with every Grand Encampment/Commandery so check before you plan your trip.

Kalip78

Yes, of course, Bro. SimonM!

I'm going to get the degrees from the Great Priory of Germany and as far as I know they do have official relations with the Order of Swedish Freemasons.

S&F from Poland!

Last edited:

Kalip78

Brother, tell me please, does SFMO practice the intervisitaion in the IXth and Xth degree (I think I heard it doesn't)? And if yes, what degree you should have?

S&F from Poland!

SimonM

Brother, tell me please, does SFMO practice the intervisitaion in the IXth and Xth degree? And if yes, what degree you should have?

S&F from Poland!

The only intervisitation on those degrees that I have seen are for the Scottish Rite.
IX - 31
X - 32
R&C - 33
These are the most common conversions, but I have seen som minor differences to that.

Kalip78

Dear Bro. Simon,

I'm just looking at the Swiss AASR - got it from GPIH - conversion chart and it says:

• IV-XVIII (AASR) = Royal Arch Chapter (York Rite) = Scottish Master of St Andrew (GPIH) = IV-VI (Swedish Rite)
  • XIX-XXX (AASR) = Royal & Selct Masters (York Rite) = Squire Novice (GPIH) = VII-VIII (Swedish Rite)
  • XXXI-XXXII (AASR) = Knight Templar / Knight of Malta (York Rite) = CBCS (GPIH) = IX-X (Swedish Rite)

• XXXII (AASR) = administration or Knight Commander of the Red Cross in Swedish Rite
I think in every country it looks a bit different.

S&F from frozen Warsaw! :)

Last edited:

SimonM

Dear Bro. Simon,

I'm just looking at the Swiss AASR - got it from GPIH - conversion chart and it says:

• IV-XVIII (AASR) = Royal Arch Chapter (York Rite) = Scottish Master of St Andrew (GPIH) = IV-VI (Swedish Rite)
  • XIX-XXX (AASR) = Royal & Selct Masters (York Rite) = Squire Novice (GPIH) = VII-VIII (Swedish Rite)
  • XXXI-XXXII (AASR) = Knight Templar / Knight of Malta (York Rite) = CBCS (GPIH) = IX-X (Swedish Rite)

• XXXII (AASR) = administration or Knight Commander of the Red Cross in Swedish Rite
I think in every country it looks a bit different.

S&F from frozen Warsaw! :)

Yes, every country is a bit different, and it can differ from which side you come from. If you have VIII in Sweden you can visit the CBCS in GPIH, but they on the other hand can apparently visit the IX degree in Sweden.

Kalip78

Well, I must figure out what exactly says the agreement between SFMO and Grand Priory of Germany as my mother-Lodge and I personally have very good relations with a group of Swedish Brethren from Stockholm and Scania region and we visit eachother. Maybe the day will come to visit degrees higher than MM. ;-)

Bloke

Premium Member
Well, I must figure out what exactly says the agreement between SFMO and Grand Priory of Germany as my mother-Lodge and I personally have very good relations with a group of Swedish Brethren from Stockholm and Scania region and we visit eachother. Maybe the day will come to visit degrees higher than MM. ;-)

Bro Simon, are you aware if the 10th degree worked or simply conferred? Do you know if the 10th degree has specific "secrets" that 10th Degree holders can use to identify each other ?

Elexir

Bro Simon, are you aware if the 10th degree worked or simply conferred? Do you know if the 10th degree has specific "secrets" that 10th Degree holders can use to identify each other ?

The X degree is given once a year and neither SimonM or me would really know everything about the degree since neither of us have it (in the Swedish rite the degrees above you are secret) but from what Ive heard its a full degree.
R&K or XI on the other hand is given on the "feast" of our GL wich is held at the VIII degree.

Bloke

Premium Member
The X degree is given once a year and neither SimonM or me would really know everything about the degree since neither of us have it (in the Swedish rite the degrees above you are secret) but from what Ive heard its a full degree.
R&K or XI on the other hand is given on the "feast" of our GL wich is held at the VIII degree.
Many thanks !

Bloke

Premium Member
On visitation.
Up to VI are allowed for non-christians
And from VII you have to confirm that you are christian.
Love to visit but I doubt I will be lucky enough to get there :)

(and thanks to Elexir & Simon for their patience and help in this thread)

SimonM

Thats not entierly correct. The XI do have a 'public' part during the VIII once per year, but the actuall degree is given separately and have ist own content just like any other degree.

Both the X and the XI where very restricted before so during a large part of the 20th century they were just given as an award once per year held at the VIII degree. However, the GL of Sweden have revised the degrees and for the last 10- 20 years they are now both worked in full form.

SimonM

I would assume that degree have its own "secrets" just like any other degree since it is worked in full, but as Elexir said I dont know since I dont have that degree yet.

SimonM

Love to visit but I doubt I will be lucky enough to get there :)

(and thanks to Elexir & Simon for their patience and help in this thread)

Of course you should visit! When you have a vacation in europe next time you make a brief detour to scandinavia for a weekend, see some of the sights and visit lodge! :)

SimonM

Am I missing it or is the US Grand Encampment KT not in amity with GL of Sweden?

Thats strange, I have to check and see if that really correct. It says on the bottom of the page that the information was last updated 2009 so it might be just lack of updates.

However, what I've heard is that there are a few GLs and other governing bodies (grand priories etc) that we consider to be perfectly regular but we still haven't established relations with. The protocoll between these organizations is that the younger aproaches the elder so for all the more recently established bodies they have to contact us first if they want recognition.

This is not my area of expertise so @Glen Cook might want to correct me here. :)

Elexir

Thats strange, I have to check and see if that really correct. It says on the bottom of the page that the information was last updated 2009 so it might be just lack of updates.

However, what I've heard is that there are a few GLs and other governing bodies (grand priories etc) that we consider to be perfectly regular but we still haven't established relations with. The protocoll between these organizations is that the younger aproaches the elder so for all the more recently established bodies they have to contact us first if they want recognition.

This is not my area of expertise so @Glen Cook might want to correct me here. :)

I looked in the martikle for last year and Grand encampment for the US is not there. I also noticed that we are recognizing the PHGL of NC so the list online need to be updated.

Last edited: