My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Warden's Requirements

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
I was asked to be the JW for next year, and if everything goes right will be installed this next coming installation, I was told that I had to open/close in the 4 lodges and finish up the JW LIFE portion to be installed. Still practicing the (the first three are G to G) 4th Lodge and I need to finish up the LIFE program. I will be going to the Wardens Retreat this year just not sure with one yet, the one in Waco I will be home for my brothers wedding so looking at Corpus or Houston.

Please encourage your Lodges to participate in the Warden’s
Retreats. Per Article 276a, your Lodge nominations for the Worshipful
Master position must have completed a Grand Lodge approved course in the
administration of his duties which are Warden’s Retreats or the Lodge
Instruction For Effectiveness (L.I.F.E.) program. In addition, your
nominations to the Wardens’ position should have completed their training
in this matter. Wardens’ Retreats are the preferred training mode for
this requirement but none are scheduled in 2012 before the Lodge elections.
Prepare now for 2013! Any Master Mason may enroll and attend. See the
Application form that is available on the Grand Lodge Website or by your
Secretary through the Texas Lodge Secretary’s Database for the nearest
Wardens’ Retreat in your area.

Last edited:

dreamer

Where I am at in Arizona as JW I needed to be able to confer either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree to be JW. As JW I will need to confer another degree to advance to SW. When I move to the SW station I will need to confer the next degree completing all 3 degrees and all done before the DDGM to be certified. In addition, I will need to memorize either the 1st,2nd or 3rd degree lecture before I can move to the East. At my Lodge it would be expected that each officer should know the part for each chair. I should have included that means open, confer and close therefore could fill in as Master if needed.

Mac

Premium Member
I will be going to the Wardens Retreat this year just not sure with one yet, the one in Waco I will be home for my brothers wedding so looking at Corpus or Houston.
Brother, I would recommend coming to the Corpus one, though I might be a bit biased. ;)

During the Warden's Retreat in September, we will be conferring the Master Mason degree on a brother onboard the aircraft carrier USS Lexington. Exact details are still being determined, but it's something to look forward to.

Timothy Fleischer

This is from the Grand Secretary's monthly communication for March 2012:

2012 Warden’s Retreat Reminder:
Please encourage your Lodges to participate in the Warden’s
Retreats. Per Article 276a, your Lodge nominations for the Worshipful
Master position must have completed a Grand Lodge approved course in the
administration of his duties which are Warden’s Retreats or the Lodge
Instruction For Effectiveness (L.I.F.E.) program. In addition, your
nominations to the Wardens’ position should have completed their training
in this matter. Wardens’ Retreats are the preferred training mode for
this requirement but none are scheduled in 2012 before the Lodge elections.
Prepare now for 2013! Any Master Mason may enroll and attend. See the
Application form that is available on the Grand Lodge Website or by your
Secretary through the Texas Lodge Secretary’s Database for the nearest
Wardens’ Retreat in your area.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
I will most likely be going to the one in Corpus, as it's not that far from San Antonio. :)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Timothy Fleischer

I am the Education Counselor in my Lodge. The LIFE program is three parts, each to be completed before one can move into the office. There is a card for each of the three spots, to be completed and sent in to Grand Lodge and checked and signed to be given to the member for each section completed.

The esoteric requirement is for the opening and closing in all positions for all four lodges, EA, FC, MM and MM Lodge of Sorrow. This must be done to the "satisfaction" of the Lodge before election. A C Certificate from the Committee on Work will meet this requirement.

Here is a link to the Committee on Work calendar: Commiteee on Work Calendar | The Grand Lodge of Texas A.F. & A.M.

Attached is the Calendar in a .doc format.

Attachments

• cow2012.doc
    178.5 KB · Views: 701

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The esoteric requirement is for the opening and closing in all positions for all four lodges, EA, FC, MM and MM Lodge of Sorrow.

Where did you find that the Wardens, particularly the JW, must know all positions? It is my understanding that each prospective officer only needs to know the parts for the office to which he aspires. That's the difference between the officer's proficiency requirement and the requirement for a certificate.

Timothy Fleischer

Where did you find that the Wardens, particularly the JW, must know all positions? It is my understanding that each prospective officer only needs to know the parts for the office to which he aspires. That's the difference between the officer's proficiency requirement and the requirement for a certificate.

Brother Lins (and others),

The first time that I went through the chairs, to be elected as Junior Warden (96-97), I had to show proficiency in opening and closing the Master's Lodge and in calling from Labor to Refreshment and from Refreshment to Labor and in the opening and closing of the FC and EA Lodges.

The reason for the proficiency in the esoteric opening and closings is this: In the absence of the Worshipful Master AND the Senior Warden, the Junior Warden moves to the East (Art 285). The JW should be proficient in opening and closing as the Master, if he moves to the East.

The LIFE requirement is this: Must complete each section before installation in that office.

This was reinforced by Grand Master Brumit at the Grand Master's Conferences this weekend in Waco and in Austin.

The proficiency requirements for the certificates are this:
C Certificate: Open and Close all Lodges, Esoteric Question and Answers

B Certificate: C requirements plus conferring all degrees, all positions.

A Certificate: B requirements plus conferring lectures in all three degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My Brother, as a District Instructor I am quite familiar with the requirements for esoteric certificates. The point I was making is that we have been told that, to comply with the requirements of Art. 276a as it currently stands, the prospective officer needs to know only the parts of the position to which he desires to be elected. While I agree with your reasoning and would personally like to see all WMs & Wardens be required to hold, at a minimum, a "C" certificate, the Law does not currently require such.

Timothy Fleischer

Brother Bill,
I apologize for the "tone" of my post. After re-reading it, I realize that it came across as "know-it-all" instead of helpful.My apology to you for that.
Tim

Tx4ever

I thought i had this all down then today i recieved "Form No. 101" from our secretary. This form requires #
1.An approval {from who it does not say] for opening an closing cermonies of the lodge, or be a certificate holder,and include lodge secretary signature. #2. And L.I.F.E. Program or Wardens Retreat . States it is due to your DDGM 5 days prior to Installation. Anyone know who's suppose to sign this form?

TexasMason73

I have a hypothetical question. Let's say the time to install a new JW, SW or WM has arrived but there is no one among the Brothern that has completed any part of a Warden's Retreat or the L.I.F.E. Program. What then? Could it be so severe as to prompt the GL to pull the charter?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I thought i had this all down then today i recieved "Form No. 101" from our secretary. This form requires #
1.An approval {from who it does not say] for opening an closing cermonies of the lodge, or be a certificate holder,and include lodge secretary signature. #2. And L.I.F.E. Program or Wardens Retreat . States it is due to your DDGM 5 days prior to Installation. Anyone know who's suppose to sign this form?

If you'll look at the fine print below the first signature line, it says "Lodge Secretary". As for the second signature line, if the prospective officer has completed the applicable section(s) of the LIFE program, the form states that the Lodge LIFE Counselor is to sign it. If the prospective officer completed a Wardens' Retreat, a copy of his certificate is to be attached to Form 101 and no signature is necessary on the second line.

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I have a hypothetical question. Let's say the time to install a new JW, SW or WM has arrived but there is no one among the Brothern that has completed any part of a Warden's Retreat or the L.I.F.E. Program. What then? Could it be so severe as to prompt the GL to pull the charter?

If, for any reason, no one is qualified to assume an office, the current officer holds over.

Art. 293. (328). Old Officers Hold Over: When.
When a Lodge fails to elect officers at the annual stated meeting as prescribed in Arts. 290 and 292, or opens said meeting before the time prescribed in the by-laws; or continues a special meeting without closing the Lodge in order to open a stated meeting at the proper hour or continues the meeting after midnight on Saturday or June 23; or elects officers when the Lodge is at refreshment or other than labor; in any such event the election is void, and the officers for the previous year, both elective and appointive, shall hold over for another year without further installation.

If a Lodge refused to follow the above or any other section of the Grand Lodge Law, then that could prompt the Grand Master to pull their Charter.