My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unsolicited Appointment to JW.

JeffKeith

I happened to be at our nominations meeting and informed all that due to my new job I was not interested in taking a chair. First off I recieven my MM in March 2021, of the "new Guys" I'm the Senior. I happened to be working the night of the election, FYI. I Am an Office manager for a major Auto Dealership and had a delivery to make that night. I happened to run into our Lodge Secretary at the quick lube he asked if I had been contacted by the SW which threw up RED FLAGS, I told him I had not! Why I asked I searched e!mails text messages etc. Nothing. He then told me that I had been APPOINTED to JW and the same for two others who did not wish seats Treasuer, and JD, were assigned without us being there. I attempted to go through the chain of command for answers without any response, so after 3 days I reached out to GL who and the State GM. who promptly returned a personal call to me, told me that all I needed to do was fill out the resignation letter that I do not accept the appointment and send that to the lodge Secretary and that that entire election is now null and void and will need to be held again. The MM who did this is playing games and will be extremly destructive to our Lodge if not completely cause it to implode from within. Our meetings are on Thursday Nights I usually always work Tuesdays and Thursdays nights late The Lodge in my hometown meets on Monday nights. My home Lodge has multiple building maintaince issues where this MM does is talk about them instead of putting hands into action and setting a work day. I can take time off anytime I'm the boss. He stopped by my work on Friday and sat in my office and tried to chew me out fir over 2 hours and I wasn't having it. I countered everything he said. By the 2nd sentence he could not even look me in the eyes. I'm trying to de-stress my life and yet do Good for my Fellow man through my Masonic interests.
A few last questions;
1: Our Lodge Roof leaked a lot causing damage inside and mold developed on the wall and also got into the bell tower, also duct work.
Is it safe to still meet there?
2; We have a significant BAT infestation in our bell tower which presents an additional issue with
( BAT BUGS ) these are small and can bite humans. This WM refuses to have an exterminator come and handle the bats and BAT bugs.
3: He wishes to Eat and have "Refreshments " downstairs in the dining area where the mold is at its worst. I refuse to eat down there.

Is there any thoughts on this matter PLEASE HELP GUYS!

Winter

Premium Member
If you want to effect real change in your Lodge the best route would have been to accept the JW appointment. (Which seems odd to me as every jurisdiction I have been in the Master and Wardens are elected) You really only have two options here, take a leadership role and be the change you want to see or go to another Lodge. Whatever you decide I hope it works out.

JeffKeith

If you want to effect real change in your Lodge the best route would have been to accept the JW appointment. (Which seems odd to me as every jurisdiction I have been in the Master and Wardens are elected) You really only have two options here, take a leadership role and be the change you want to see or go to another Lodge. Whatever you decide I hope it works out.
I was not even asked and with my new job and the schedule I must keep I am not able to fulfill my duties of that position, it's a 30-min drive besides to Lodge after putting in a 12-hour day, crunching stats all day. Had the meetings been on a different night, I would take the seat.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I'm a member of Pleasant view #782, located in Bismark Illinois
That appears to be a Recognized GL. This is very unusual behavior (appointing the SW & JW) for a Mainstream lodge.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
That appears to be a Recognized GL. This is very unusual behavior (appointing the SW & JW) for a Mainstream lodge.
In a US regular lodge it is unusual, and I suspect there is a misunderstanding in the process.

In UGLE and many European jurisdictions the wardens are appointed.

A warden must be installed. I would send an email to the WM, WM elect, and the secretary very simply explaining I do not except the office. Nothing else.

I didn’t understand rest of the comment.

Keith C

This is VERY strange to me. Here in PA immediately after an election each individual is asked "You have been elected (office) for the Ensuing Masonic Year, Beginning St. John's Day Next, do you accept?" You have to say "YES" to complete the election. A similar question is asked before Installation. Additionally, the slate of Brethren running for Office must be approved by our DDGM to assure they are qualified (JW must know Business of the Lodge as well as EA Degree, SW must also know FC Degree, WM must also know MM Degree.) The only time anyone is appointed to a Warden's Chair is if no one runs or is qualified for the Chair, at that point for Stated Meetings a PM must be appointed to fill the chair to assure they know the work. We do appoint Wardens for Extra Meetings for Degrees but only after the WM and sitting Wardens assure they know their role as these appointments are normally Deacons learning the work.

Winter

Premium Member
Let me say to tru Square Men I never had to take an oath of.any lodge tru Mason know this one has to carry their Own Cross I'm sorry I will.contest of go against any master Mason or grand Master Mason. I MEAN THIS IS NT A BOYSCOUT ITS FOR US TRU white light let me ask anyone who wish to contest what does Freemqsonry stand for don't get it wrong GM
So many questions about this post. But most importantly, how does it relate to the discussion at hand.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Winter

Premium Member
I feel that we have Tyler's on here meant to discouraged and rebuke ones on personal knowledge let's be clear why do you think freemasonry comes in all shapes sizes and religion once u understand how this work you understand the birds the bees and the seven seas can any of these so called men speaking on every quote with a million likes which means nothing the man they called Jesus was considered a Franciscan might I say but he still carried the aura and presence of any king in king Solomon the wisest of the wise now again all Grand Master specially the two with smiling faces on my page I challenge you
So by your own admission you are not a Freemason, raised in a Regular, or even Regular but Unrecognized, Grand Lodge. Then how are you going to lecture us on how we are doing Freemasonry incorrectly from the outside? Maybe if you provided the texts you're quoting from so we can understand better.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
So by your own admission you are not a Freemason, raised in a Regular, or even Regular but Unrecognized, Grand Lodge. Then how are you going to lecture us on how we are doing Freemasonry incorrectly from the outside? Maybe if you provided the texts you're quoting from so we can understand better.

You understood that?

Winter

Premium Member
You understood that?
Not really! I'm not sure if maybe English isn't his first language or what, but his syntax, or lack thereof, is hard to follow. I was going by some of his other posts saying something about how no man can make someone a Mason or something in assuming he might not be from mainstream Masonry or something. His rambling run on sentence above makes it seem like he maybe wrote something previously that other Masons are supposed to read and respond a certain way like some of the catechism we see a lot of our PHA Brothers use when challenging out in public but I have no idea what he's talking about.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I really didn’t understand most of that.

What Grand Lodge are you a member of? Just the name, please.
All I know is I got faces from two top dogs i.dont know to answer the question with enlightenment from what the gentleman is say is that lodge is I dyfunc and it seems as if this which from what he is saying. He doesn't honor or respect the morality as well as.leadership due to that fact alodge with that much hardships shows that lodge members aren't do.there just due listen to what he said he works at a autoparts and he been offered it shows some what a desperately on that lodge

I still haven't heard none of the so call good Ole boys respond with the right post I could give knowledge and wisdom that I notice none don't see case and point this conversation started over conversation with 2 Square men that went totally wrong now we have a forum in which.square Man questioning another intuition and understanding so I ask no one seem to understand ok in a question is a question but a answer and resolution send the answer please and I came up in a lodge I learned in my own travels who were put at the forefront to do just this talk about nothing of Merit I'm looking for that answer

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
We need a “scratching the head” emoji.
Not really! I'm not sure if maybe English isn't his first language or what, but his syntax, or lack thereof, is hard to follow. I was going by some of his other posts saying something about how no man can make someone a Mason or something in assuming he might not be from mainstream Masonry or something. His rambling run on sentence above makes it seem like he maybe wrote something previously that other Masons are supposed to read and respond a certain way like some of the catechism we see a lot of our PHA Brothers use when challenging out in public but I have no idea what he's talking about.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
We need a “scratching the head” emoji.
1638386213798.png

Number4

Back to the OP for a moment, do you have to be qualified to even be considered for JW? In my jurisdiction it is legal requirement to have the Past Masters Degree before taking a Warden's chair.

As to the WM visiting your workplace to 'chew you out', that is a big no-no and I would consider it a violation of his obligation. Definitely cause to demit. Good luck in your new lodge

Winter

Premium Member
Back to the OP for a moment, do you have to be qualified to even be considered for JW? In my jurisdiction it is legal requirement to have the Past Masters Degree before taking a Warden's chair.

As to the WM visiting your workplace to 'chew you out', that is a big no-no and I would consider it a violation of his obligation. Definitely cause to demit. Good luck in your new lodge
Some jurisdictions only have the foggy mirror test to become a Warden or Master.

Question, do you confer the PM degree on non WMs or can only PMs be a Warden? I haven't heard of that requirement before.