My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unsolicited Appointment to JW.

Number4

I guess it's a Virginia thang.......the PM Degree is conferred by a Royal Arch chapter on MM's as part of the preparation for advancing in line. It confers no title or status and is basically a short course of instruction.
SW's have to obtain a Warden's Certificate in order advance to the East: that is a whole lot more complex and you have to know how to confer all 3 degrees as well as conduct other business. Again, that's not done in other jurisdictions

Winter

Premium Member
So it's the VPM degree from the RA. Interesting. I've never seen that as a requirement for a chair in a Craft Lodge in the US.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MarkR

Premium Member
I can't say I think much of requiring a degree from a concordant body in order to advance in Blue Lodge. Membership in an appendant/concordant body should be completely irrelevant in Blue Lodge.

Winter

Premium Member
I can't say I think much of requiring a degree from a concordant body in order to advance in Blue Lodge. Membership in an appendant/concordant body should be completely irrelevant in Blue Lodge.
I found a doc that lists the requirements for Warden and list the Past Master Degree as one of them but I didn't see anything that said it was the VPM degree from the Royal Arch. Maybe they confer the actual PM Degree on their Wardens before they take their chairs?

Keith C

Back to the OP for a moment, do you have to be qualified to even be considered for JW? In my jurisdiction it is legal requirement to have the Past Masters Degree before taking a Warden's chair.

As to the WM visiting your workplace to 'chew you out', that is a big no-no and I would consider it a violation of his obligation. Definitely cause to demit. Good luck in your new lodge

Interesting.

In PA NO ONE gets the Past Master Degree until they have been Installed as Master.

Even our HRA Chapters are not permitted to confer the (Virtual) Past Master Degree.

Bloke

Premium Member
For edification:
Here in Victoria Australia, Wardens are appointed by the WM Elect not elected. The qualification is a MM. You cannot go the East unless you have been Installed in (either) Warden and been a Freemason for 5 years or more. The WM is elected. The potential WM needs to nominate himself in writing to the Sec before the election.

But regardless, electing or appointing someone who is not willing to take the office is poor form. I would simply politely decline the office saying you had indicated you were not willing to stand for election.

Other issues about the building complicate things, but are separate from the above... but it sounds like you are gong to swap lodges to something more convenient anyway.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Sounds like the Lodge nominated and elected the brother without his knowledge.

you have to be present to accept the nomination.

Keith C

Not in my jurisdictions.

and congratulations on the appointment.
Not here either, though anyone elected does have to qualified. You DO have to agree to serve before you are Installed and can't take the JW Station at a Stated Meeting unless you have been Installed to that Chair at some point.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
In my US jurisdictions there is no qualification to be a W, and anyone can sit in the chair pro tem.
Not here either, though anyone elected does have to qualified. You DO have to agree to serve before you are Installed and can't take the JW Station at a Stated Meeting unless you have been Installed to that Chair at some point.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Not in my jurisdictions.

and congratulations on the appointment.
Interesting. I could nominate anyone I wanted to, present or not in your jurisdiction?

We have language that states: you have been nominated to serve as Junior Warden for the ensuing Masonic year. Do you accept the nomination and if elected will you serve?

Presence is required. An email must be sent expressing your acceptance if you know you cannot make the meeting on the night of nominations.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
No nominations in GL UT.

Acceptance is to election.

Presence in your jurisdiction is not required if one can send an email.

Interesting. I could nominate anyone I wanted to, present or not in your jurisdiction?

We have language that states: you have been nominated to serve as Junior Warden for the ensuing Masonic year. Do you accept the nomination and if elected will you serve?

Presence is required. An email must be sent expressing your acceptance if you know you cannot make the meeting on the night of nominations.