My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Lodges

Boomhawr

Well I was told this by PM in my lodge that also serves in the military. He said that over seas(Meaning Deployed) all regular masons sit in the same lodge.

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app
Last year I was in Afghanistan, and the only lodge there was Oklahoma PH. I emailed my (Texas) Grand Secretary and asked about it (Texas Regular and PH now recognize each other, and allow communication, but last I heard, still require writing a letter to get approval from the lodge you want to vist, and it's routed through both Grand Lodges, and, and, and...... ). He said no, still can't since it isn't Texas PH (the only one we had the agreement with). That was early 2016. I would check with your own Grand Lodge to make sure before going to visit it just to be safe.

acjohnson53

There is know difference on the opening and closing of a Lodge. Be it military or civilian. Probably half the Brothers that are Master Masons were in the military at some or another. From my own experience the civilian Lodge gave me more stability, because when you're in the military you're moving in a given moment and you pretty much have to reestablish yourself....I know this is an old post but I like to put what's on my mind...

EVG Yumul

Under the Grand Lodge of Ireland:

(Law) 134. No Military Lodge, under the Constitution of the Grand Lodge of Ireland, shall initiate any civilian anywhere if a lawfully constituted Lodge exists within ten miles of the place where such civilian resides, or where such Military Lodge then meets. A Lodge of civilians shall not initiate any military man below the rank of a commissioned officer, where there is a Warranted Lodge in the Regiment or Garrison to which such military man belongs; nor shall a Regimental Lodge initiate any military man not belonging to the Regiment if there is a Garrison Lodge in the locality where the Candidate is stationed, or where such Regimental Lodge then meets. Any Lodge violating this Law shall have its Warrant cancelled or suspended, or shall be fined one hundred euro, as the Grand Lodge may see fit.

TLDR: Civilians cannot be initiated in a Military Lodge. There's even a fine and penalty if a Lodge initiates so.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Under the Grand Lodge of Ireland:

(Law) 134. No Military Lodge, under the Constitution of the Grand Lodge of Ireland, shall initiate any civilian anywhere if a lawfully constituted Lodge exists within ten miles of the place where such civilian resides, or where such Military Lodge then meets. A Lodge of civilians shall not initiate any military man below the rank of a commissioned officer, where there is a Warranted Lodge in the Regiment or Garrison to which such military man belongs; nor shall a Regimental Lodge initiate any military man not belonging to the Regiment if there is a Garrison Lodge in the locality where the Candidate is stationed, or where such Regimental Lodge then meets. Any Lodge violating this Law shall have its Warrant cancelled or suspended, or shall be fined one hundred euro, as the Grand Lodge may see fit.

TLDR: Civilians cannot be initiated in a Military Lodge. There's even a fine and penalty if a Lodge initiates so.

Do you know the reason why they can only initiate officers ?

acjohnson53

Old stuff, one you you don't have to be in the military to become a Master Mason, two when i was raised it was in the basement at a gasthaus in Regensberg, Germany, then we relocated to Hohenfels...

EVG Yumul

Old stuff, one you you don't have to be in the military to become a Master Mason, two when i was raised it was in the basement at a gasthaus in Regensberg, Germany, then we relocated to Hohenfels...

No, this is still an active Law within the Grand Lodge of Ireland. Other Grand Lodges might have different rules though.

acjohnson53

I know this is an . old topic, but interesting. All Prince Hall Lodges are pretty much the same. What differs is being that Military member transition so much to where their turn around so common. you could be in a seat and the next day you deploy. What most Jurisdiction did (Like MWPHGLOK, MWPHGLTX and so forth) extended their jurisdiction to all parts of the world forming new District and expanding their Grand Lodge...

lilhut3579

I know this is an . old topic, but interesting. All Prince Hall Lodges are pretty much the same. What differs is being that Military member transition so much to where their turn around so common. you could be in a seat and the next day you deploy. What most Jurisdiction did (Like MWPHGLOK, MWPHGLTX and so forth) extended their jurisdiction to all parts of the world forming new District and expanding their Grand Lodge...
This is very true. I have been blessed not to be in that situation up until now. I’m joining the YR, in my area and wear reviving the chapter, council, & commandry. Right after degree work we will hold a special election and installation where I’ll be HP, DM, and idk where I’m going for black house.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I know this is an . old topic, but interesting. All Prince Hall Lodges are pretty much the same. What differs is being that Military member transition so much to where they’re turn around so common. you could be in a seat and the next day you deploy. What most Jurisdiction did (Like MWPHGLOK, MWPHGLTX and so forth) extended their jurisdiction to all parts of the world forming new District and expanding their Grand Lodge...
Navy Lodge 2612 in London is not a military lodge in that sense, but is limited to RN officers. One of the masters was stationed at NATO in Virginia during his term.

MarkR

Premium Member
Navy Lodge 2612 in London is not a military lodge in that sense, but is limited to RN officers. One of the masters was stationed at NATO in Virginia during his term.
I believe that would be referred to as an "affinity lodge."