My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you read the entire Bible?

Have you read the entire Bible?

• Yes

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • No, but working on it

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • No, my VSL isn't the Holy Bible

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 25.0%

• Total voters

crono782

Premium Member
I've started on a one year reading plan and I'm doing good so far. Using the YouVersion app. Unfortunately, the one year plan I'm doing is only for NLT version. It's actually easier to read, but not as "bibley" sounding. ;)

otherstar

I've read the entire New Testament and probably 80 percent (if not more) of the Old. My preferred translations are the New American Bible (raised Catholic, and I'm used to the translation), and the New Revised Standard Version-Catholic edition (can't seem to shake my Catholic heritage, I like some of the "extra" books in the Catholic version of the Old Testament). For more casual reading, I like the New International Version.

CzarAlexis

I have read the New International Version (NIV) cover to cover. I'm currently reading the New Living Translation Paraphrased.

Freemason Connect HD

LittleHunter

Studying parts of the OT in Hebrew, parts of the NT in Greek, trying to understand cultural context and seeking translations based on different extant versions of various texts have given me a nuanced take on "The Bible." For me it is, and always will be, a library, an anthology, a collection of books about our Creator ... Not a monolithic manual or lawbook written by Him.

My Freemasonry HD Pro

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In addition to that Virginia Rammey Mollencott one of the lead translators is a prominent figure in the Gay and Lesbian movement a lifestyle that is not in key with the writings or the spirit of the txt, yet she has made major adjustments to it to make her sexuality agenda fit. She has not got the write or anyone on change those txts.
You might want to check your facts (and your conspiracy theory). Dr. Mollenkott was a consultant hired by the translators five years into the project.
Several decades ago it was proven that our former ability to translate ancient languages was quite flawed, thus the meeting at Trinity Christian College in 1965 and the decision to have the New York Bible Society revisit the original texts.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I wonder would our constitutions accept the New Inclusive language version of the NIV ? As the volume upon which to take our oaths. I think not
Our Constitutions do not stipulate which translation may or may not be used, but I must say, in all candor, that any Lodge that inspects a Candidate's Bible, and may reject him because of its translation, is no Lodge that I wish to sit in, more or less join.

Peace and harmony brother
Agreed, Brother. This is why we forbid these conversations in Lodge.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Given that, I doubt a seeker of our Light would wish to use such a version.

But I still become defensive at the thought of inspecting personal Bibles.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Just wondering how accommodating lodges should go, in terms of translations, because if the translation of the New inclusive language version of the NIV is rejected as a bible by the Trinitarian and international Bible societies then should the Lodges accept such a translation. ?

If it is meet and proper to reject a specific translation of the Bible to represent the Volume of Sacred Law, then it would be equally proper to reject the Koran. After all, the Koran differs from the KJV even more than does any English version of the Bible.

LittleHunter

This is an interesting discussion. When I was raised it was explained that although the Lodge's Bible is the "default" VSL that we should take our oathsnon whatever VSL we personally adhere to whether it be the Torah, the Koran, the Dammapada or a particular translation of The Bible. Personally, Id rather see a new Brother take his oaths on the book he believes in rather than one that he doesn't

My Freemasonry HD

LittleHunter

It's interesting discussion, And one we need be careful about. Revelations 22 says clearly not to alter the words of the bible so the real question is, what version of the Volume of the sacred law is acceptable? And who decides that ?

My Freemasonry HD

Wait a minute, nobody is talking about re-writing anyone's scripture. As a non-Christian I support The idea Of Lodges using non Christian scriptures as a VOL. A non sectarian and tolerant Feternity is the Masonry I was taught. Maybe in some jurisdictions it's only for those who revere the King James versión of The Bible as a valid VOL but that's news to me. Let's be real... If it's wrong to "change" anything in the Bible should we play it safe and be using The Hebrew and Greek versions?

My Freemasonry HD

dfreybur

Premium Member
what version of the Volume of the sacred law is acceptable? And who decides that ?

In the California Masonic Code does give a minimum list of VSLs authorized by vote of GL that can be expanded by the GM. It does not specify version of any of them. So far I've never encountered a brother who wants a specific version, but the month isn't over yet so I never know ...

I'm not comfortable with having a list at all because the keystone of qualification is the question on the petition so there should be no list of authorized religions. At least some religions teach that an oath is in force independent of swearing on any book.

§402.060. ALTERNATE HOLY WRITINGS.

A candidate for a degree in Masonry may select an alternate Holy Writings on which he will be obligated, but only under the following circumstances:

A. If the candidate does not wish to be obligated on the Holy Bible, he must select an alternate Holy Writings in book form from a list promulgated from time to time by the Grand Master of the Holy Writings of those recognized religions whose theology is not inconsistent with a belief in a Supreme Being and a future existence. The Grand Master’s list shall at all times include the al-Kitab

al-Aqdas of Bahaism, the Tripitaka of Buddhism, the Analects of Confucianism, the Vedas of Hinduism, the Koran of Islam, the Tanach of Judaism, the Koji-ki of Shintoism, the Adi Granth of Sikhism, the Tao-te Ching of Taoism and the Zend Avesta of Zoroastrianism. In selecting an alternate Holy Writings, the candidate must state that the book chosen is the Holy Writings of his religious faith;

B. The particular book selected for use on the altar during the ceremonies of a candidate’s degrees must be of a suitable size as determined by the Ritual Committee;

C. Grand Lodge shall make available all books on the list. Grand Lodge shall loan any book on the list upon request to a Lodge which requires it for a degree;

D. The book selected shall remain on the altar throughout the meeting during which it is used for a candidate’s degree, unless the Lodge schedules more than one candidate to receive a degree at a meeting and all candidates receiving a degree on that occasion will not be obligated on the same book of Holy Writings. In that event, the book shall be changed when the Lodge is at refreshment between the degrees;

E. When an alternate Holy Writings is used during a degree, a closed Holy Bible of any size must be on the altar; and

F. Alternate Holy Writings may be used only at a Lodge meeting during which a candidate selecting the alternate Holy Writings receives a degree and on no other occasion.

[Source: Section 26295 of the 1991 California Masonic Code.]