My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to give it a try

Hndrx

Premium Member
My petition will be submitted at the Thursday night meeting this week. I'll be waiting on the investigation!

Nate Riley

Premium Member
Where are you located and what lodge?

As you have already heard here, a lot of what you hear out there is a bunch of hog wash. I generally feel sorry for the innocent folks that speak the anti-Masonic rhetoric, because they have been wildly misguided and misinformed by someone with ulterior motives. I would say that in most cases these fall into two groups 1) fellows that have in someway become dissatisfied with their lodge experience or 2) folks wanting to sell books.

You will likely begin to notice, at some point in the future, the we, as brothers, encourage each other not to argue with those that are misinformed. To do so is usually futile and is more likely to have ill effects on your reputation that positive effects on the craft. I had a brother tell me once that he thought he should defend Masonry. I asked if he really thought that a something with a history as strong as Freemasonry needed defending. Opposition is nothing new to Freemasonry, the first anti-Masonic books hit the streets within a couple of decades from the first Grand Lodge meeting in 1717. I believe that opposition has at times and in various ways been a benefit to Masonry.

If the people you here saying these things knew your FIL, I would simply ask them if they think that he would ever be involved with something so sinister or "of the devil". That is a response I use quite often, because most folks I know have someone that they place in high regard that is or was a Mason.

Last edited:

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Congrats Hndrx!!

When confronted, just ask them for their proof. Since they are making the accusation, the burden of proof is on them. Or just simply tell them, "That is your opinion and you have the right to it. You also have Freemasons to thank for that right."

Hndrx

Premium Member
I heard from the three gentlemen doing my investigation today. I had a very good visit from them tonight. I'm looking forward to the vote.

David Duke

Premium Member
Be sure and let us know if your accepted and when your initiation will be. I'm just a short drive down Hwy. 59 and haven't had the pleasure of visiting Trinity #14, this would give be a good excuse to go.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Glad you made the choice friend. Don't worry, you won't find anything against your beliefs in your God. Too, don't worry about how you are going to handle the misinformed, that's come with the territory. Just remember to learn your lessons and keep reaching for more light.

God bless you and yours ... jwhoff

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I own a company with my dad and mom. My dad was very encouraging of my masonic travel due to people he knows while my mother was extremely anti-Masonry.

This is how I handled it. I turned in my petition and then sat down with mom. While I didn't need approval (I was 28 at the time), I work with her and needed it to be non confrontational. I approached if from first You know these people do you think they are Christian upstanding men? Or do you believe they are devil worshipers? Most Christians when confronted with people they respect and think highly of will not say they are a devil worshiper. This brough the conversation to a level field with out the ambiguous nature of well I've heard this or that. It was now a "she knew, respected, and thought were strong Christians couldn't be her perceived opinion" situation.

Now that it was a conversation on equal footing I discussed the historical background of masonry in both Texas and the US and also the charitable aspects as I had found on the internet. I closed the conversation with a caveat. Give it a year, if my actions in a year are better and have not become worse then how can this be a devil/cult worship group?

Now 2.5 years down the road she will be talking to friends about her children and she brings up I'm doing this or that at lodge. She has become a supporter of Masonry from a observation point of view. Arguing will never change a persons opinion but discussions along with personal reflection and first hand experience with a person involved will change a persons point of view in my experience.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

I didn't try to change her opinion. I gave her the information which I had acquired before I joined and asked her to make her own decision over the course of time.

cemab4y

Premium Member
An interesting story. My dad passed away last October. He was a Mason for 28 years, but mom did not want a Masonic funeral. (She is not opposed to Masonry, she decided to have the military funeral.). Here is a terrific website, that I often share, with people who have an inaccurate view of Masonry. (Cult, devil-worship,etc). See Anti-Masonry: Points of View

Hndrx

Premium Member
Thanks a bunch to all the folks that have responded. I'm anxious about the vote. But I assume that it normally goes well for most all applicants. I'll let you all know whenever I get a date for my EA.

Hndrx

Premium Member
News update! They voted the other night and I've received my letter saying that I'm been elected to receive the degrees. February 8th at 6pm will be my EA!

jwhoff

Premium Member
Mister Hndrx,

Let me know when I can call you brother. Curious, do you have any experience riding animals? Farm animals? Better bring along an extra pair of undies ... just in case.

David Duke

Premium Member
Come on brothers give the guy a break, I'm sure that wearing dark undies will be sufficient and everything else will take care of itself.

In all seriousness congratulations on being accepted into the worlds largest and in my opinion greatest fraternity. You have yet a rough and rugged road to travel over; but with time, patience, and perseverance you can overcome all things. As of today I have an open calendar for the 8th so hopefully I and a couple of other brothers from Sam B. will be able to make it to your initiation.