My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women freemasonry

Setitoff215

I would like your thoughts on women freemasonry please? And I would also like to know ... what does it mean to you to be a freemason ?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Touchy subject! No body holds the rights to freemasonry but here in the USA woman are not allowed to be in our organization. And what it means for me to be a mason. Means a lot. the morals and wisdom that you learn while being part of this organization is endless.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Statement issued by UGLE – 10th March 1999

There exist in England and Wales at least two Grand Lodges solely for women. Except that these bodies admit women, they are, so far as can be ascertained, otherwise regular in their practice. There is also one which admits both men and women to membership. They are not recognised by this Grand Lodge and intervisitation may not take place. There are, however, discussions from time to time with the women’s Grand Lodges on matters of mutual concern. Brethren are therefore free to explain to non-Masons, if asked, that Freemasonry is not confined to men(even though this Grand Lodge does not itself admit women). Further information about these bodies may be obtained by writing to the Grand Secretary.

The Board is also aware that there exist other bodies not directly imitative of pure antient Masonry, but which by implication introduce Freemasonry, such as the Order of the Eastern Star. Membership of such bodies, attendance at their meetings, or participation in their ceremonies is incompatible with membership of this Grand Lodge

Grand Lodge Alpina has a similar view:

Declaration

The General Assembly of the Grand Lodge Alpina of Switzerland has adopted the following declaration with respect to Feminine Freemasonry in Switzerland as of 6th June 2009.

In Consideration of the following Conclusions

1 For quite a period of time and parallel to the GLSA, other Masonic organizations exist in Switzerland which do not work in a regular manner in line with the wording of our Constitution.

2 As far as we can ascertain, apart from the fact that they admit women, feminine lodges practice a standard which would be close to the regularity according to the GLSA definition.

3 The existence of these organizations has been documented by the GLSA, e.g. in articles about feminine freemasonry in the “Handbuch des Freimaurers”, published in 1999, as well as in articles on feminine freemasonry on the GLSA website.

4 At various locations in Switzerland, collaboration has been established at Lodge level in the fields of charity, conferences as well as public events and for the mutual use of infrastructure.

The Grand Lodge Alpina of Switzerland resolves as follows

It acknowledges the existence of feminine freemasonry in Switzerland, with which however it does not have any formal relations, and with which visiting and the exchange of friendship ambassadors are excluded.

3 It supports regular and informal contacts between GLSA and the Women’s Grand Lodge of Switzerland at the Executive Grand Lodge level and considers these to have a positive impact on freemansonry in Switzerland.

It is open as to
non-ritual contacts between GLSA lodges and feminine lodges for the purpose of collaboration in social, humanitarian, cultural and other reasonable fields.

Article from GL British Columbia:

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/women.html

A.E.M.M.W.F

Touchy subject! No body holds the rights to freemasonry but here in the USA woman are not allowed to be in our organization. And what it means for me to be a mason. Means a lot. the morals and wisdom that you learn while being part of this organization is endless.

I agree ! To me freemasonry is a tool to help me evolve continuously with all the knowledge I gain ! Its a code of conduct! Its a fraternal love ! Its to always work on that unpolished rock! Its to go from darkness to light with each step taken! Its an education and much more ! My mother got saved by shriners so I been very attracted to this fraternity ! I understand that ancient and regular freemasonry is for men and I wouldn’t want to take that away from any brother but the way I see it .. . When we have a big common goal such as a charity or a desired outcome why not join forces? Together with this honorable conduct code we can achieve so much good! But I will always respect people opinions !
Thank you for sharing brethren.

Roy_

Well, I've got a website about Freemasonry that involves women. It also says a few things how things are different and how they are not.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Women are as (or more) capable as men of being Masons, they just can’t join my lodges.
As to your second question; that requires conversations, not a boilerplate reply.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I get that the boys need to be with the men !
Precisely! One of the main reasons that I joined Freemasonry is that it is a fraternity. I simply enjoy the exclusively male environment. If the landmark forbidding female members were to be repealed I would demit. However, I have no problem with those that form female lodges or Co-Masonry lodges. To each his own. To me Masonry is a code of morals and ethics to live my life by. I also delve into the more esoteric side of Masonry.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
My thoughts:
coachn, I agree totally with your previous answer as to why women are not allowed into "regular" Masonry...it is because that is the way that the majority of the members want it. Very simple. The reasons may differ but the sentiment is the same. One of the main reasons that I joined Masonry is that it is a fraternity. No deep or esoteric reasons, I just prefer an exclusively male lodge.

TonyT2020

I agree ! To me freemasonry is a tool to help me evolve continuously with all the knowledge I gain ! Its a code of conduct! Its a fraternal love ! Its to always work on that unpolished rock! Its to go from darkness to light with each step taken! Its an education and much more ! My mother got saved by shriners so I been very attracted to this fraternity ! I understand that ancient and regular freemasonry is for men and I wouldn’t want to take that away from any brother but the way I see it .. . When we have a big common goal such as a charity or a desired outcome why not join forces? Together with this honorable conduct code we can achieve so much good! But I will always respect people opinions !
Thank you for sharing brethren.

I really like your perspective on this... the common good and "much" good. I have many female ancestors that were Order of the Eastern Star (OES), the female fraternity in the USA. As mentioned before, in the American Lodges, State and PHA, they are exclusively male. I always found it of great interest that there are female lodges in Europe. I think that it would be very cool to see American Lodges work with or visit with a female lodge. I am considering becoming an OES Mason; Males are members, as they assist in the operations of these chapters.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I really like your perspective on this... the common good and "much" good. I have many female ancestors that were Order of the Eastern Star (OES), the female fraternity in the USA. As mentioned before, in the American Lodges, State and PHA, they are exclusively male. I always found it of great interest that there are female lodges in Europe. I think that it would be very cool to see American Lodges work with or visit with a female lodge. I am considering becoming an OES Mason; Males are members, as they assist in the operations of these chapters.

There are both feminine and co-ed lodges in the US. Regular lodges may not visit a tyled feminine or co-ed lodge.

Note, OES is not allowed for UGLE masons.

TonyT2020

There are both feminine and co-ed lodges in the US. Regular lodges may not visit a tyled feminine or co-ed lodge.

Note, OES is not allowed for UGLE masons.
Appreciate the information. I have never seen a female lodge in the USA... learn new things daily. I think to an extent, it is very sad how segregated Freemasonry is... with race, gender, etc. If it was just one large, world wide organization, that would will so much power that could be used for good. With all of the segregation evolves the issues with recognition, visitation, and dwelling together... doesn't allow world wide unity; but I am a Chaplain and dreamer... so I am supposed to feel this way :)

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Regular lodges may not visit a tyled feminine or co-ed lodge.
Precisely! Here in Kentucky communicating with a female Mason, being present at the raising Mason, or attending a lodge that admits female Masons is grounds for expulsion and I have no doubt this is exactly what would occur.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Precisely! Here in Kentucky communicating with a female Mason, being present at the raising Mason, or attending a lodge that admits female Masons is grounds for expulsion and I have no doubt this is exactly what would occur.
To clarify, that would be communicating masonically.

Bloke

Premium Member
I would like your thoughts on women freemasonry please? And I would also like to know ... what does it mean to you to be a freemason ?

Short version; I see Woman Freemasonry and Co-Freemasonry as a different branch of the same tradition I participate in as what is often referred to as "Regular Freemasonry". I hence respect it and encourage it, but cannot attend their meetings. There is heaps written on "what Freemasonry means to me" but in short order, to me Freemasonry is a vocation.

From your initial post, I thought you might be a member of a "Masonic" Order, but I suspect not ?
If not, I suggest you seek out a reputable one (there are disrepute ones) and join it.