My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do I call him?

VinnyC

Last Tuesday was my 2nd time stepping into the the Mt. Hiram Lodge #595 in Copperas Cove. I remembered some faces but I could not, for the life of me, remember most of their names. Some of them remembered mine which was impressive for my second visit. Most of their names were like, Bill and John. They have a dinner meet next Tuesday and I hope that I can meet more Brothers and try to at least remember their names. But one question in particular came to me but I did not want to ask any of the Brothers there. I would have felt a little awkward. My question is, do I call the Worshipful Master by that or his first name? What did you call the WM before you were an EA? Thanks guys!

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I always have & still call the WM "Worshipful". Some get a suffix, such as "Puss Boy"! :wink:

LRG

Premium Member
Before you get initiated as an EA, just use thier names. After initiation-assuming that you get voted to go through the degrees- the secretary should go over everything with you. Keep up the good work and wish you luck

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
It is an interesting situation for me personally. Our current Worshipful Master is the "kid next door" that I grew up with from about Middle School onwards. My initial greeting is always "Worshipful", then afterwards is always his real name unless I am being called upon during a meeting.

tom268

Here, freemasons feel strange, if a non-mason (regardless how long he will be a non-mason) uses our titles or the term "brother" on guest evenings or such. We know, that is usually meant polite and respectful, but it is a distinct honor to be called that way, that only a brother have.

So in Germany, it would be the real name.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
Most of the attendees to dinner at our lodge (which takes about a year) tend to call me by my first name, but in situations with a large group I have heard one or two of them call me "Worshipful". I didn't make a deal of it, I think it is just part of the culture...but our etiquette is to use first names until its Brother.... or Worshipful Master or Worshipful Brother, etc..

Ben Rodriguez

I have a very laid back relationship with all brothers at lodge, I call our WM by his name, and refer to him as WM when masonic business is conducted.

swole

Vinny, You're in Copperas Cove? I have family there. My Mother and sister both reside there. My sister was to become an Eastern Star but I do not know what became of it. I visit when I can due to my hectic schedule. Small world!

VinnyC

LOL, I actually stay in Killeen but I live at the far end of Killeen towards Copperas Cove. Sure is a small world. I read your bio. Are you still working at the bar in Austin? If so...Hook it up!!! LOL.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
VinnyC and SWOLE, my oldest son is a Firefighter in Cove, so we've got a bit of a triangle here based on our locations... Most of the Brothers in my Lodge, and surrounding Lodges call me Hippie. It's a name given me some 30 years ago by a local judge when I came here from Austin. Something about Austin, loud Harley, and long hair and beard... He was a Mason, and we became good friends. I had not petitioned at that time, but many years later. I have no problem with the nickname, it's those around me who are many times offended by it... Get a life is all I can say. It's been used many times in court, all the way from Municipal to U.S. District. I spent many years as a Texas Peace Officer, and was addressed by the Prosecutors, or defense attorney's by the name. I also have a small body shop, and many times get a check with the name Hippie on it. The local bank cashes it for me, or I can deposit it. I guess ya' gotta' be here. Anyway, before the meeting, I am addressed as Hippie. During the meeting, I have been addressed as Brother, Brother Munsel, and Brother Hippie. I realize the latter is not really an accepted way, but never the less, it happens. This year, it is much easier on everyone, as I am the Worshipful Master, so during the meeting, instead of trying to remember my real name, the Brethren can address me as Master, or Worshipful Master. Nest year, I should get to go back to being me :) We are in a rural area, and pretty laid back, but still try to maintain the proper etiquette. I think a lot of it depends on where you are, and what is expected. In your case, as many have mentioned, it is best to ask what is preferred. You can spend a few minutes with the WM, or Sec., and discuss it with them, and not be embarrassed about it. But, by all means, enjoy the time, learn as much as you can, and join in as soon as you can. It's a GREAT group, and I wish I had petitioned many years ago.