My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Widow's Sons

Status
Not open for further replies.

crono782

Premium Member
Right on. It would be nice if you stuck around! ^_^
I'm still new, so I'm unsure where exactly the "line" is drawn in the context of discussion, but I hadn't seen anything glaring as of yet.

mcr1975

@stephenaulds: The Widows Sons are neither bad guys nor are they clandestine. My understanding of the base politics, albeit as a Past President of a WS chapter in Illinois is that mistakes were made in Texas and that the organization was banned because it wasn't convincingly trying to play ball with the Grand Lodge. The reality is that the GL has a lot to manage in any State and doesn't have time for nonsense. While their response may seem hard nosed, it was highly predictable. But, assuming the WS were banned in Texas, this is very different from simply not being recognized. Most Masonic organizations created since the 1950's remain unrecognized. However, once banned, an organization cannot meet in that State. As as organization, members of the Widows Sons are Masons first which means the laws of the Grand Lodge must be respected and obeyed. Texas motorcyclists can make efforts to resolve differences and to begin to appeal the decision but it is not a quick process. Occasionally miracles do occasionally happen and I have learned to never say never. But moving forward, proper respects are critical as is making the effort to reassure the GL that the organization cares about its image and is capable of self-monitoring and maintaining discipline.

@ Bill_Lins77488: The basic rules for regular membership application within the Widows Sons is that a man is already an Entered Apprentice. From the date of acceptance into the organization, he must be or become a Master Mason within 1 year. These rules can be stricter within individual chapters. The 3-5-7 Brotherhood Chapter, to which I belong, similarly requires that applicant are Masons (EA, FC, MM). We vote on whether to accept petitions and those accepted must have attend 3 months worth of meetings and rides in order for us to call a vote on whether to pass them from Petitioner status to Full Membership.
*Additionally, in order to become an actual member the Petitioner must be a Master Mason. We hold 2 Honorary Member slots available for EA/FC applicants and/or Masons who do not yet have a motorcycle but intend to buy one within the riding season. Most chapters prefer to keep their requirements as lax as possible so that they can gain more members. My chapter wants guys who are likely to get out and ride on the weekends so our membership requirements reflect this.

Last edited:

chrmc

What I don't understand in this whole discussion is why do masons who like to ride together have to have an officially sanctioned masonic motorcycle club? As others have stated masonry have as little to do with motorcycles as it has with golf, knitting, fly fishing or go-cart racing. And you don't see any of the masons with these hobbies trying to make a club?
What is it that is so compelling and necessary to have the official sanction?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
@ Bill_Lins77488: The basic rules for regular membership application within the Widows Sons is that a man is already an Entered Apprentice.

As long as such is the case, WS can forget about getting recognition from GLoT. That policy violates GLoT law & GLoT isn't about to change its law just to suit some motorcycle group. The votes just aren't there.

mcr1975

@Bill, The very limited portion of what I wrote that you chose to quote/respond to refers to general requirements for applying to the WS. They can absolutely be modified as needed. I also explained that all WS members are Masons first and that each Grand Chapter is sovereign (ie. accountable only to its GL). Consequently, they have the ability to do whatever they need to in order to satisfy GL requirements. If you would care to explain the GL law you are referencing, I would be very interested in hearing a more detailed explanation. I know next to nothing about about Freemasonry in Texas and would love to learn more.

My understanding of the politics in your State regarding the WS is that the problems have little to nothing to do with either the patch or the group's membership policies. But, since the WS-T were banned (?), whether the GLT would ever recognize them is a moot point.

Lastly, like you I also see very little to no future for the WS in Texas. Being frowned upon in Masonry is not to be taken lightly and can be a fatal blow if a GL doesn't approve of a group. I know the organization in my backyard but not yours and was neither speaking for nor against them because I do not advocate for anyone or anything I do not know well. I absolutely agree that no GL bends its stated policies to suit a Masonic organization, let alone one that has caused headaches for them.

Either way, I wish you the best and hope you have a successful new year in 2013!!!

mcr1975

@chrmc: I am happy to write on this tomorrow but please do a little research of your own regarding Masonic organizations. Your comments demonstrate little appreciation for the nature of Freemasonry as well as it's rich history of creating organizations over the last century for all sorts of interests. Feel free to read about the Medinah Country Club which has hosted numerous profesional golf tournaments. It was built as a private golf club for Chicago's super rich Freemasons. The same group also built the Medinah Athletic Club which they maintained until selling it recently to become the Hotel InterContinental in Chicago. Hell, our Rifle Corp even became the Illinois National Guard.

Last edited:

Ed Nelson

What I don't understand in this whole discussion is why do masons who like to ride together have to have an officially sanctioned masonic motorcycle club? As others have stated masonry have as little to do with motorcycles as it has with golf, knitting, fly fishing or go-cart racing. And you don't see any of the masons with these hobbies trying to make a club?
What is it that is so compelling and necessary to have the official sanction?

There are many clubs within Masonry that are recognized and sanctioned.

Just within my local Shrine Temple, there is:

Bedouins RV Club
Motorcycle Club
Yacht Club
Golf Club

All specialized clubs with a common, non-masonic interest, yet you must be a Shriner (and therefor a Master Mason) to join.

chrmc

@mcr1975 and @Ed Nelson. Thank you for the information about these additional organizations. I was not aware of them as you state. One could almost make the argument that it was a spin-off on the Shriners, and not on blue lodge masonry, but that is a sidetrack to the discussion.

However I must admit that I do not feel you've answered my question (I see the note that mcr1975 says he'll get back to it) which was "Why do you have this need to have a motorcycle club be an officially sanctioned body?"
The answer "because somebody else have done it / been allowed to" is not that great and doesn't really give a reason - no offense.

To me Masonry is something I do to better myself as a man, connect with the ancient mysteries and through there also get some fraternal bonding and do some good in the community. However the masonic part is the main focus. I also enjoy golfing, drinking wine, hunting, watching football etc. and all of this I do with masons or non-masons. However I don't need a masonic drinking, hunting, football club to enjoy it.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
@Bill, The very limited portion of what I wrote that you chose to quote/respond to refers to general requirements for applying to the WS. <snip> I would be very interested in hearing a more detailed explanation. I know next to nothing about about Freemasonry in Texas and would love to learn more.

There are two GLoT laws which address this instance, as follows:

Art. 505. Certain Other Masonic Disciplinary Violations.
It shall be a Masonic disciplinary violation for a Lodge, a committee or any combination of Masons, or an individual Mason to:
<snip>
22. Participate in, approve, or aid in the formation of any organization predicating its membership on Masonic membership or in the formation of any local chapters or groups, by whatever name called, of any organization predicating membership on Masonic membership. It shall be a Masonic offense for any Texas Mason to be, remain, or continue as, a Member of any organization predicating its membership or affiliation on Masonic membership unless such organization is now currently approved or recognized in Article 225 or Article 225a. (New 2005)

and more directly:

Art. 439. (476). Examination in Master’s Degree.
<snip>
3. It shall be unlawful and shall constitute a Masonic disciplinary violation for a Brother who has not passed his examination for proficiency in the Master’s Degree to apply for (italics mine) or receive membership or any degree in any rite, body, order or organization in which membership is predicated upon Masonic affiliation.

I wish you the best and hope you have a successful new year in 2013!!!

and the same to you & yours, my Brother!

Ed Nelson

@mcr1975 and @Ed Nelson. Thank you for the information about these additional organizations. I was not aware of them as you state. One could almost make the argument that it was a spin-off on the Shriners, and not on blue lodge masonry, but that is a sidetrack to the discussion.

However I must admit that I do not feel you've answered my question (I see the note that mcr1975 says he'll get back to it) which was "Why do you have this need to have a motorcycle club be an officially sanctioned body?"
The answer "because somebody else have done it / been allowed to" is not that great and doesn't really give a reason - no offense.

To me Masonry is something I do to better myself as a man, connect with the ancient mysteries and through there also get some fraternal bonding and do some good in the community. However the masonic part is the main focus. I also enjoy golfing, drinking wine, hunting, watching football etc. and all of this I do with masons or non-masons. However I don't need a masonic drinking, hunting, football club to enjoy it.

The short answer is: Why not?

I am very active in Masonry. I choose to surround myself with men with similar interests, values, and ideals.

I could (and have) ride with a different group of people, but Masonry is a very important component of my life, as is motorcycles. There are clearly other men who feel the same way about masonry and motorcycles. Why not combine them and enjoy both?

We say at every gathering that we are Masons first and foremost. It's the Square and Compass patch that unites us, not the Widows Sons patch we wear under it. We are Masons who ride motorcycles, together. 155469_407934165894585_65134338_n.jpg

Last edited:

jvarnell

Premium Member
i am with mcr1975 on this subject. and want to be a part to an apendent body that is a real RC of the masons. When I go to Motorcycle rally's in other states I meet many members of the WS. Seeing there colors I know who I can depend on to have the same moral and ethics as I have. But being a Mason of Texas I can not ware those colors. The colors are like waring a ring. I wonder why a lot of other states Grand lodges don't think haveing the WS as an apended body is wrong. I am a born Texas and I understand why we know we are better than other states. the one offical RC of the GLOT says they have members and rides but I can't really find any members execpt by email. I run into some people wareing the square and compasses on there vestsbut none belong to the one RC the GLOT likes.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
@Bro_Vick: Who exactly was that commentary directed at? It sort of seemed like you were speaking to me but I'm not sure why there was so much hostility or anger. I'm certainly not upset with anyone. I understand your point about not agreeing that there needs to be a Masonic motorcycle organization. I find it a difficult argument for you to make though when we have numerous organizations in the fraternity simply devoted to eating. I suppose the difference is primarily one of numbers. There are a lot of Freemasons worldwide who ride motorcycles so it is natural for us to want to ride together. It's safer to ride in numbers because cars are more likely to see you, more fun to ride with brothers, and since Freemasonry is what unites us, the logical step was for there to be a Masonic motorcycle group. There are, by the way, many and the Widows Sons is not even the oldest. We simply were the most successful in terms of growth and general acceptance. So there is that. And finally, the point of being a Freemason is to carry the lessons into everything you do. No business or recreation is Masonic, per se. But similarly, unless it is immoral, nothing is unMasonic. I

First, let me apologize for coming across as hostile, I was over zealous with my sarcasm, and was not meant as an attack, but more of a point as to the establishment of a Masonic organization based off of ones personal hobbies, or profession. The post was directed at the topic, not one individual.

Since I have been a Mason a re-occurring debate has been whether the Shrine should still have Masonic ties or be cut lose (see other posts on this forum). This is an organization with over 340,000 members, has 200 temples across the world and does far more for the global community than any other Masonic organization. Andrew Hammer in his book, addressed that organizations like the Shrine are diluting Freemasonry and removing men from their focus in Freemasonry, building the internal temple.

Right now we have too many bodies that are loosely based on Masonic values that are dying a slow Masonic death. These groups were wildly popular when started, but are falling apart. They are as you alluded to as being supper clubs, with no real Masonic value. While you are saying "What is the harm of one more?" I am saying "Do we really need one more?"

While I don't care for Motorcycle culture, I don't understand why it needs to have its own apendent body in Freemasonry, when really it is a trend right now in America. I hate to say it, but Motorcycle Enthusiasts today may be mocked and laughed at 30 years from now as a passing trend of middle-aged men. The Widow Sons doesn't spread further light. The organization doesn't use ritual based teachings to build the internal temple, they are just a bunch of men who get together and like to ride motorcycles.

So with all of the problems with apendent bodies, and ones that do teach, do ritual, do good in the community, and strive to make men better do we need another organization that seemingly wants to be organized, because it can? What I am getting from you and other proponents is that the Motorcycle enthusiasts sub-culture is so dominate, that there needs to be Masonic representation in this culture. To which I say "Go forth and represent", but don't expect me to endorse you or any other Masonic MC as an apendent body.

We have problems with politics between Grand Lodges and the Apendent bodies seemingly every year. Knights Templar, Shrine, etc. These organizations strive for more than getting a bunch of guys together to wear patches and drive around on two wheels. Or to promote Masonic ideals to one specific sub-culture.

So respectfully, and honestly, I disagree with the concept of making ones hobby, no matter how engrossing a Masonic apendent body.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

rpbrown

Premium Member
In some ways I have to agree with Bro_Vick.

I do not believe that motorcycle enthusiasts are a passing trend. I have been riding (mostly with the same group of people) for 45 years. Mocked at times, yes. Laughed at, only by those within our group. Now I agree that there are those that are what we call RUB's (rich urban biker) that get a bike and ride around only on weekends, there are a lot more of us that ride because we love it and have been for years.

Now, I do not belong to any MC or RC. I am however, a member of a group of christian riders (MM) that I ride with occasionally. Nor do I believe that you have to belong to a group to enjoy the ride.

Although it saddens me that the WS would not want to comform to GLoT rules and laws, you don't have to belong to them to carry out the Masonic way of life. Ride or not, we are all brothers and are obligated to each other as such. What is truley sad is that there are those that do not see it this way.

There are several in my lodge that ride. We ride because we enjoy it. Most of us also wear a square and compass on our vests. This is because we are proud to be brothers, not because we belong to a riding club (which we do not). For us, it is no different than wearing a ring, hat, shirt, or to have the square and compass on our vehicle. We sometimes ride as a group but mostly as individual Masons.However, what we do all have in comman is that we are brother Masons and will carry that ideal with us where ever we are.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
While I don't ride near as much as I used to I do agree with Bro. Vick. I don't see a need to have a riding club that is an appendant body of the Masonic Fraternity. I think that just have a club that has Masonic ties as a base would be good enough. Why have another body and along with it dues cards, fees, etc.?

ardiverdown

At the December 2007 Grand Communication, the WS was initially approved recognition by the GLoT. The FMRC was then also approved recognition. Later that morning, a member brought the WS recognition back up for discussion on their recognition. The recognition was then pulled. I specifically remember the woman patch being a main point brought up and touted. As a result, the WS lost the recognition they had just gained from the GLoT. Just my 2 cents from being there when it happened.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I, too, was at that session of Grand Lodge and concur with Brother Megason's remembrance. Since that time there has been little tolerance, right or wrong, for masonic motorcycle groups.

Question, can a brother motorcycle enthusiast purchase a masonic Texas license plate for his motorcycle? If so, what do you feel is the key reason why WS and Ruffians are in disfavor?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I, too, was at that session of Grand Lodge and concur with Brother Megason's remembrance.

As do I.

Question, can a brother motorcycle enthusiast purchase a masonic Texas license plate for his motorcycle?

Yes.

If so, what do you feel is the key reason why WS and Ruffians are in disfavor?

When FMRC applied, they made every effort to show GLoT that they were good guys and presented a positive image of Masonry to the public. As far as I can tell, WS & Ruffians did not put out the same effort nor did they make a good impression. Not doing the legwork beforehand & making sure your organization conforms to GL law is a guaranteed way to fail. Requiring black leather vests/jackets & doing your best to emulate a 1% club (3-piece patches, etc.) does not present a positive visual image to the general public.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I, too, was uncomfortable with the three patches. So far as I know, the only time masons in Texas were allowed to ware EA and FC recognition was during the 2007 year of Right Worshipful Donny Broughton. I was lucky enough to have the Grand Master himself pin both on my lapel during two of his visits to Houston that year.

Still, the absolute pinnacle of my masonic life to this date. In deference to several of the older brothers in my lodge, I did not ware them at stated meetings. But there are pictures of receiving them on my study wall and they are both prominently displayed in a masonic case and will be handed down to the following generations.

As I told you the night we met at Grand Lodge, I was quite proud of the young brother who brought up the motion of recognition of the Ruffians who came back up and withdrew his motion says that there were issues brought up that he had not contemplated. To me, he is a mason's mason.

LRG

Premium Member
Safety vests with your lodges name and s/c would seperate the Master Mason from that 1% sterotype.

Status
Not open for further replies.