My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suit & Tie/Tuxedo or Casual/Plain Clothes

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
What do you wear to lodge, stated meeting, degrees or other?
What do you feel should be worn?
Do your lodge officers wear something different than everyone else?

I am just curious about what everyone thinks.

S&F,
Kyle

I am sure Brother Lins wears a 3 piece suit to every communication, right Brother? Lol :001_cool: Always inspired by you Bro. Lins.

chrmc

I'm personally of the opinion that suit and tie should be worn for degrees and stated meeting. Weekly practice session, lodge nights etc. I'm not to bothered about. But I like the idea to dress up to show some reverence towards the craft, event, lodge and fellow brothers.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
What I call "Lodge casual..." Many of us are coming from work to the meeting, so it's office clothes, or a clean pair of jeans or khakis, and a shirt.

One brother was pushing me to buy a tux, but I have no (foreseen) intentions of getting into OES, Rainbow, or the Grnd Line.

kwilbourn

Suit and Tie for me on Stated and Called Meeting nights. I feel like as a sign of respect, I should dress a little better than I generally do daily. Very rarely, if I don't have an opportunity to change, I'll just put on a sportcoat and tie with my office clothes instead of a true suit. Practice and workdays, generally a t-shirt and shorts.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Our lodge is pretty laid back, but everyone tries to look nice for the meetings. It is a small rural town, so there is a lot of country folk so most everyone shows up with a collared shirt tucked in and they will either be in khakis or blue jeans. This year, our new WM made it the standard for all the State Meetings and any big event for the principal officers (myself, SW, and WM) to wear a coat and tie (he provided the tie with a S&C on it). Younger guys will tend to show up in more busineses casual looks.

As for practice nights, its usually whatever. I know some Brothers on here won't like it too much, but I will come to practice in shorts and flip flops because that is generally what I wear day in and day out anyhow. But I have always made it a point to try and dress up for Stated Meetings and degrees. Lol in the winter I will throw on a beanie with my shorts and flip flops haha

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Suit and tie for stated meetings and for degrees, will wear what I wear to work for practices. Some bodies (AMD) and other lodges locally require a Tuxedo, which I don't have a problem with. A brother whom I have a great deal of respect said that when his son was being initiated, the Worshipful Master wore a t-shirt and a baseball cap, and said "Its hot". So yeah, Texas can be overly dress down, unfortunately.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Suit and tie for stated meetings and degrees. Casual for practice nights.

I'd prefer tuxedos for degrees and installations, personally.

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
I agree with the suit and tie for stated meetings. At least a dress shirt and coat is nice for degrees. We are a very laid back lodge as well. We even have a few kilt wearers. :D No, its not me!

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Most of the time, I'm suit and tie, but when occasion requires and it is appropriate I may dress up or dress down.

kyfreemason357

We wear nice jeans and shirts. Some wear dress shirts and khakis. A few suits at times. We are country lodge and we are masons. Im ok with dress shirt and tie for the officers at least for the degree work if not for the stated meeting too. I also believe that any man who wants to come should wear what he wants. I dont care if he wears jeans/tshirt combo, or a tux. If he is comfy and happy then that is all that matters. Officers I understand being held to a higher standard but not the craft. I do not want to keep a man from coming if he feels he has to wear a suit.

cemab4y

Premium Member
In my home lodge in Kentucky, we are generally casual. Some members wear old clothing, t-shirts, etc. Virtually no one wears a necktie. In Afghanistan, we wear camouflage uniforms. When I lived in Paris, France, I usually wore a tuxedo and white gloves to lodge meeting, else I would wear a dark suit and necktie.

In rural Kentucky lodges, men wear bib overalls, and muddy boots.

It is the same great fraternity, regardless of what you wear.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Wear the best that you have.
Do NOT let your clothes keep you from Lodge!

Better yet find a lodge that you feel comfortable in for dress, and join or affiliate with that lodge. For the life of me I can't understand why that concept is so difficult to understand, if a lodge dresses to up for you, then simply don't join that lodge. I am sure that you can find a lodge that is very loose with their clothing standards. My personal opinion is to dress nicely for the occasion, but as an article I posted earlier this year showed, that is out of step with the majority of Americans. So I am member of a lodge with a coat and tie requirement and don't visit the lodges that are much more casual. Again my choice, and I don't expect others to follow it. I wouldn't go to a rural lodge or a dress down lodge and tell the brethren to dress up, nor would I expect them to come to my lodge and tell me to knock off the fancy suits.

Respecting other right to practice Freemasonry is paramount as long as it is regular and in due form.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

jvarnell

Premium Member
I have been reading this thread and was waiting to see if others are like our lodge and I am glad to see others are. I have a tux, several suits and buss. casual my office casual and play wear and I always hope to only wear the last 3 in the list. I guess I can wear the other two when needed. I though it is the internal I am to contrite on.

California Master

In California it is expected for officers to wear a tux during degrees and installations. It gets very hot in Redding during the summer...100 plus degrees can be normal. During that time, we relax to white shirts and dark pants. We also have some very nice collared golf type lodge shirts that we wear.

With that being said, I agree with others here. Come to lodge. Don't stay home because you aren't wearing a tux. We need to remember that it is the internal and not the external..... A clean pair of Wranglers and a nice shirt is fine with me. Knock the dirt off the Tony Lamas and get to lodge in time for the dinner.

MarkR

Premium Member
We're a very casual lodge; jeans or khakis with a golf shirt is fine, a lot of the brothers have Lodge shirts with the S&C and Lodge name embroidered on them. When I was in the East, I wore a tux for third degree nights, but it didn't catch on with subsequent masters.