My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposed Racism Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwardl

Since I am now a member of a lodge in Minnesota also I was wondering if their or I guess one of my Grand Masters MW John L Cook,Jr would be welcome in some Texas lodges.

http://www.mn-masons.org/node/9401

Don't have a list of Texas recognized lodges handy, but know for a fact that the blue GL of Minnesota is recognized as legitimate by the GLoT. Given the current limited recognition of the PHGLoT, however, would guess that the PHGLoM is not.

Is it a blue GL or PHA GL? If blue, Bro. Cook will (or at least SHOULD) be fully welcomed and treated as any other brother. If PHA, he will (or again, SHOULD) be treated as a respected visitor and personally as a brother, however, would not be allowed to attend closed functions or engaged in "masonic" conversation. Your membership in either lodge would be irrelevant with respect to the issue. Minnesota rules apply to you ONLY if you're within the state.

At least, that's my interpretation based on the current state of things.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I have put a little thought in this and I do think it is unfair to think this is common. I think this is not the norm but the fact is it is happening at various Lodges around the state. I think this would help give the Lodges help that need it and it would serve as protection for the Grand Lodge if a suit ever arises because it would show a stance against such behavior.

agreed

david918

Premium Member
Don't have a list of Texas recognized lodges handy, but know for a fact that the blue GL of Minnesota is recognized as legitimate by the GLoT. Given the current limited recognition of the PHGLoT, however, would guess that the PHGLoM is not.

Is it a blue GL or PHA GL? If blue, Bro. Cook will (or at least SHOULD) be fully welcomed and treated as any other brother. If PHA, he will (or again, SHOULD) be treated as a respected visitor and personally as a brother, however, would not be allowed to attend closed functions or engaged in "masonic" conversation. Your membership in either lodge would be irrelevant with respect to the issue. Minnesota rules apply to you ONLY if you're within the state.

At least, that's my interpretation based on the current state of things.

MW Cook is the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Minnesota not the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Minnesota

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I have put a little thought in this and I do think it is unfair to think this is common. I think this is not the norm but the fact is it is happening at various Lodges around the state. I think this would help give the Lodges help that need it and it would serve as protection for the Grand Lodge if a suit ever arises because it would show a stance against such behavior.

Well said.

Back to Bro. Lin's resolution.... IF it makes it to a vote, and is shot down, what does that say about us?

Last edited:

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Well said.

Back to Bro. Lin's resolution.... IF it makes it to a vote, and is shot down, what does that say about us?

We will have to wait and here all debate before we form hard opinions but if it did not pass it would show we are just not ready yet for change. Which is not always a bad thing. Lessons are needed to be learned by the both sides of this coin and nothing gets the gears turning like adversity. I believe now and will then everything happens for a reason and a good reason at that.

owls84

Premium Member
The thing that I am really liking is the fact that several thousand Masons can get in a room and debate a topic that is so monumental and come out alive. Regardless of the outcome the fact that resolutions like this are being brought up is showing that this should be looked at. I like just the fact of bringing it up for debate win or lose.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
In my blue lodge we have the Bible and the Tao on the altar because one of our members was obligated on the Tao. We have hispanic, black, and white members.

That being said how does barring a particular kind of speech, bar the belief? I do think it is step in the right direction, but believe the battle for hearts and minds is one more difficult to win than the battle over a man's tongue.

In truth, barring speech might just force the ideas and teaching underground where you have no idea who believes what because they do not feel free speaking their mind. This can be more dangerous.

J

JEbeling

Yeah... ! not sure how this would work..? how do you pass laws that regulate ideas.. ?

masonicknight

An interesting thought. By creating a rule, ordinance, or regulation that would serve as a modifier of behavior, you would in effect be trying to initially stop a problem that is present while at the same time enforcing a moral and ethical code we have all subscribed to in our obligations that has apparently been ignored as being irrelevant by those that feel this is the exception to the obligation.

While I believe you have a valid situation and that this will help towards alleviating the problem, I wonder if any backlash from it could be perceived like what initially happened when Affirmative Action was first put into effect in the workforce. It had a tendency to alienate as much as it solved problems. In one of the cities near me, the city charter requires that hiring is on an exact percentage based on most current census report. While it provides a way to make it fair for all applicants there is sometimes an underlying tension. It did modify behavior in the since that it opened doors for talk, but prejudice was and is still there and that is even harder to modify. And I do realize that your resolution is not aimed at anything similar, that being a quota of how many people we accept based on background, as that being equivalent to this particular city's situation, but rather how it could be perceived by those that feel it has been aimed at them as they would feel it could or would be unjustly applied.

I have a few acquaintances that fall into a realm we would call prejudiced. There is no way that changing a rule would help change their personal attitude. When one was publicly told off for what he said he was visibly shocked that anyone would disagree with his thoughts. Watched a customer at a friends cafe leave without eating his meal because he was not open to political discussion that was open for all to debate because it did not fit in with his ideals. And debate is what it is at this particular cafe with no hard feelings being felt.

While this is a valid issue that needs to be addressed it will also be a political nightmare for the GL should it not pass, no matter how well written, as we all know that the press will use it as a way to show how evil Masonry is. Read the term a while ago in relation to the press as being Nine-Fingered Shitehawks, as only nine fingers are used to type, this is the fodder that they love to write about. They could have a field day should they so desire.

I sincerely hope that your initiative works positively without causing a similar tension to be created.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
I do wish you much success Brother with bringing tolerance within the Craft that should be a storehouse for it. My positive energy is yours.

I long for a day where the Constitutions can read: "Act like a Mason, if there is bullsh*t then please knock it off." That might be the ultra conservative libertarian in me.

I commend, however, your working within the given system to bring positive change. That is an important lesson we can all learn from. Work within the system and work within your quarry to bring that change. There is a system for doing so and with tenacity and planning many things are possible.

GaryPark

I hole heartedly agree with the resolution. We have dealt with this issue in our lodge in the past. We have lost a few, however, if they can not control thier passions and play fairly and abide by the ideals of Masonry, then maybe it is time they leave. Granted it is hard for some to leave behind thier past, the way they were brought up (or the era) as you are asking a person to change a root part of themselves. However that is what masonry is all about isn't it, changing for the better. This item would also go a long way to rid ourselves of the tenuous association with Prince Hall. Even though technically each recognize the other, you still may not sit in lodge with each other, sad isn't it ?

Wingnut

Premium Member
I know there are racist and racism in the world. I know there are masosn that feel that way. Fine... just leave that shit at the door when you put on your apron! If you cant, dont put on the apron and come in the door!

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
I'm doing my part in trying to combat this garbage by signing the petition of a very good black man that I know, who I hope to get initiated by October. I then plan to do my part to help make him a better man. It absolutely infuriates me that skin color is still an issue in this way in 2010. It makes me outright angry that we teach our men that it is the internal qualifications, and not the external that recommend a man to be made a Mason, and then tolerate this race-based character assasination in our own house. We live in a state with incredible diversity, and there is simply no justification for this continued pig-headed bigotry. I don't care how people were raised, or what their backgrounds are that "make them that way," and I'm tired as hell of the excuse that they just don't know any better.

Racism is wrong, PERIOD, ALWAYS, and there is no justification, whatsoever, for its existence in our lodges. It is OUR responsibility and charge as Mason's, to correct the knowledge of our less-informed brethren. It is OUR responsibility to drive this hate-based ignorance our of our temples. It is OUR responsibility to stand up and condemn it when it occurs for the good of all. We are Mason's, and there is no justification for us to participate in or promote racism. It is YOUR responsibility to address this as it occurs. Don't quietly sit in the corner in silence when the old PM starts talking about them colored's down the tracks. Stand up and be counted, and shine a flashlight on that behavior and expose it for what it is. Stand proudly before the G.A.O.T.U. as a Mason, and condemn this atrocious behavior when you see it. Are you more concerned about what your fellow Masons think, than you are what God Almighty does? Stand for what you believe in, shoulder the responsibility for confronting racism.

We don't need a resolution, or a proposal, or a new violation to confront the disgusting behavior of racism when it rears its ugly head. Can we stop a racist from casting a black ball for his own bigotry? No. But we can DAMN sure confront this sewage when it shows its face in our house of light. I challenge everyone reading this thread to do exactly that. Confront racism when you see it. Remind your brethren that it is shameful behavior, an affront to the Creator of all races, and as completely Un-Masonic as a behavior could get. Stand before God and do what you know is right, and let your example and condemnation of racism shine as a light to those around you.

Do this, because if you are truly a Mason...you know there is no justification for racism. You may be an outcast, you may be looked down on, and you may not get moved up a chair next year because the people in power don't like your pointing out their Un-Masonic bigotry. But I'll tell you what you can do, I'll tell you what matters in terms of contributing to the building of that house not made with hands. YWhat matters to the G.A.O.T.U. is that you can stand there before Him as a just and upright Mason, one who has done what his Creator is proud of, and know that your conscience is clean. Nobody said doing the right thing is easy, and noone ever told you that every justified action would have a reward on Earth, but what are you more concerned with as a Mason? That house here that will someday crumble and fall and return to the dust whence it came, or that spiritual building, that house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens?

It's your choice...

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
uhhhh what he ^ said! I am guilty of not calling that behavior out on the spot and if the clock turned back I am not sure how I would have change it.(Hence Puss Boy ;) Not to give excuses but my lodge was infected by the worst kind and there was one or two friendlies always being ran off. In my 4 short years I have seen a ridiculous amount of good men ran off. These guys ran off who battled them and they where good at it. This was the reason for their ideals filling the lodge, it was their way or no way. Something I came to learn though was these Masons as I now truely call them where Drill Sergents for the Craft if you will. What does a Drill Sergent do but break you down and make you hate what you did by joining but if you stick it out something happens. For me it is when I trully felt initiated and why I love those Masons so dearly now. There is one sure fire way to penetrate the shroud of darkness they cast and that is light. A few of us at 148 took them head to head and we still have tanned hydes from the wit and wisdom of these Masons but when we quit fighting and gave them big ole hugs everytime we saw them they got bored and now chose to stay home. We even visited a few at their homes and offices to coherse them back but they all had good excuses. The point to all my rambling is that one should be careful not to ostercise oneself from the lodge because good men of all colors and creeds will come to that door but who will meet them? The person who does meet them holds the future of Texas Masonry in their hands.

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
uhhhh what he ^ said! I am guilty of not calling that behavior out on the spot and if the clock turned back I am not sure how I would have change it.(Hence Puss Boy ;) Not to give excuses but my lodge was infected by the worst kind and there was one or two friendlies on their way out I am sure. In my 4 short years I have seen a ridiculous amount of good men ran off but many more pour in the doors. These guys ran off who battled them and they where good at it. This was the reason for their ideals filling the lodge, it was there way or no way. Something I came to learn though was these Masons as I now truely call them where Drill Sergents for the Craft if you will. What does a Drill Sergent do but break you down and make you hate what you did by joining but if you stick it out something happens. For me it is when I trully felt initiated and why I love those Masons so dearly now. There is one sure fire way to penetrate the shroud of darkness they cast and that is light. A few of us at 148 took them head to head and we still have tanned hydes from the wit and wisdom of these Masons but when we quit fighting and gave them big ole hugs everytime we saw them they got bored and now chose to stay home. We even visited a few at their homes and offices to coherse them back but they all had good excuses. The point to all my rambling is that one should be careful not to ostercise oneself from the lodge because good men of all colors and creeds will come to that door but who will meet them? The person who does meet them holds the future of Texas Masonry in their hands.

I think you have struck a cord brother! SO MOTE IT BE!

There is an old but well tested axiom in the world of chemistry "like desolves like." This can also be said that any particular attitude perpetrates itself if allowed to govern. These folks have the power base in a percentage of lodges and they intend to keep it. They often can be found explaining to those coming into the lodge that masons all think alike and "you will find like-minded brethren" in the lodge. Their view, of course.

The truth is, no lodge has brothers who are "like minded." We're all grown men who have developed our own world views and, being interested in masonry, are usually independent in mind to those around us. Yes, we're looking for personal growth and something that makes this world a better place to live. But, that doesn't mean we agree perfectly with each other. We don't all vote alike (but they say we do) and we don't all see things the same way. But we should be tolerant and understanding of each other.

A man not secure in his own mind that his beliefs are correct can be found soliciting the support of others. Hence, you find this particular group spending more time trying to convince the younger generations of their racial and political viewpoints than, unfortunately, promoting the virtues of masonry. Trust me, they sense that things are changing and they are trying to stem the tide. Hopefully we are enduring their (both in the profane world and the masonic world) last great surge before this country rides itself of these shackles.

There is much to be said about lodge harmony. It is required and it is correct. Time, and patience will prevail. This backlash will wane. We have more to fear, I think, from the backlash in the profane world to the information revolution. When's the last time you were able to get to the truth on the internet? WOW! They're really pushing hard there too. As with racism, fear and prejudice are the driving factors.

When challenged, stand up for yourself. A simple "I don't agree" or" I can't agree less" is sufficient. There's no reason to cast perils before swine so to speak. No one is going to change anyone else's mind. Hardened mindsets are just that. On all sides. I have no doubt that you are handling yourself nicely.

And I'm not telling you to practice what they do. No reason to try to pack the lodge with people who agree with you. Use the laws of masonry to choose wisely those coming into the lodges. If they are truly masonic material things will change for the better. I'm dead set against turning this into a numbers game and the wise leadership of this fraternity cautions us from doing so.

I firmly believe the future of masonry and this great experiment we call the United States of America are now in the hands of the last two generations. Why, because the world has changed the past five or six years. It's not the same world of the 1980s and 90s. You folks have to face the future with your ethics and your wits. You have the task of educating and informing yourself daily to meet the challenge. There are truly no longer simple and easy answers.

I believe in you and know you will choose the right path. Keep your masonry close to your heart and practice its virtues. Remember the Golden Rule and that you cannot have a true relationship with your maker if you have not a willing and true relationship with mankind. ALL of mankind.

A byte later.

Last edited:

LDSpears

Premium Member
This is one of the main reasons I was inactive with the lodge for many many years. After I got out of the military in 1989, I was sickened to find the prejudice in my hometown lodge and could not stomach it. After a very pointed question to our lodge secretary, I honestly thought it was against the rules/laws of the lodge to allow a black skinned person in the lodge in Texas. I do not choose, or unchoose, who I befriend based on their skin color. It is very refreshing to see that people have changed with the times.

ShadyGrove821

37. Make any negative reference or take any negative action in regard to a petitioner’s or member’s faith, creed or race at any time."

I have given this a lot of thought, and while I agree with the spirit of the resolution, I don't think the constitution needs to be amended.

It seems to me that as overt racism declines in American society, it is becoming more rare in Texas Masonry. I haven't heard a Mason use the "n" word in about four years. Granted, racism is expressed in a more subtle manner these days, but I hope that such unmasonic behavior will eventually die a natural death.

I have, however, noticed an increase in religious intolerance in Masonry in the last couple of years. I hear Masons bad-mouthing Muslims, Wiccans and other non-mainstream faiths on a regular basis. While I consider this to be unmasonic, who decides when a statement goes too far and is considered a "negative reference?"

Brothers sitting around the dining table will sometimes make friendly jabs at each others' doctrinal differences. Will this resolution outlaw "A priest, a minister and a rabbi walk into a bar" jokes?

If this resolution fails to pass, it won't necessarily mean that Texas Masons are intolerant bigots; I think it is unenforceable.

jwhoff

Premium Member
"That no negative reference is to be made nor any negative action taken by any officer or member of any Lodge in regard to a petitioner’s or member’s faith, creed or race at any time.

Any failure to abide by this resolution shall constitute a Masonic disciplinary violation."

They won't like this one BIG TIME brother. I've already heard invoked freedom of speech, verse from the Bible, et al. It simply boils down to this brother: "When in the course of human events" it becomes necessary for one bigot to push his agenda in lodge and totally disregard the tenants of freemasonry ...

Always amazed when one man invokes his God given rights to question those of another. More especially a brother mason.

Status
Not open for further replies.