My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposed Racism Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I am under no illusion that just because something is written in a book, it will change what's in a man's heart. My main purpose is to show the bigots that their behavior is not considered appropriate as Masons, and I don't much give a damn whether they like it or not. We need to set the standard, whether they choose to measure up or not. At least, if such behavior is stated as unMasonic, we can do something about it when it surfaces.

They also would do well to remember that their speech can be restricted under the rules of a private organization which they voluntarily joined. The Bill of Rights applies only to the government.

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
That last point is well taken. And I agree with you completely.

Still brother, I feel if the shoe was on the other foot ... they would still choke on it.

Hope to see you tomorrow at Grand Lodge. I love your spirit. God Bless!

Timothy Fleischer

All good points to consider (although I seriously doubt a Satanist would attempt to darken our doors). Thank you for your input. Please understand that I am under no misconception that a law will change whatever is in a Brother's heart- all it can do is to let the Brother know that a bigoted attitude is not condoned by the majority of the Brethren. It won't keep one from blackballing another, but it probably will keep him from bragging about it & recruiting others to follow suit. SMIB.

Brother Lins:

It is a Masonic offense to "brag" about how we vote. The ballot is sacred and secret. To speak about how I may have voted "for" or "against" a candidate is a Masonic offense.

Tim Fleischer, PM
Salado Lodge #296 AF&AM

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Congrats Bro. Bill. Good to see a quality, well written and much needed resolution pass.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Where to start...

I hate racism and I hate that it is present in our fraternity. It shouldn't be, and any man who follows our tenants would immediately abandon such thoughts. But, that's not how it is.

If you forced me to answer yes or no as to whether this amendment violates any of the tenants of Masonry, I'd have to say no. As has been stated, we are not to judge based on the external, so this isn't really a change to our principles.

However, I think this is a very slippery slope regarding forcing people to possibly vote against their beliefs. We might disagree with their beliefs, but free will is, in my opinion, the single greatest gift given to us by our creator, and forcing someone, or bullying them into, voting in a way that is against their opinions, provided it isn't expressly prohibited by our rituals, is wrong. So, in summary, while I don't disagree with THIS amendment, I think it sets the stage for other problems.

In addition, there is the issue of conflicting ideas. We are not to base our votes on the external, and yet, we are also taught to retain the peace and harmony within the lodge. While in a perfect world, these would not conflict, in reality, they sometimes do. A black man coming into a lodge with a racist would create disharmony.
I can already hear you all mashing your keyboards and screaming "THEN THE RACIST SHOULD LEAVE!". Well, maybe so, but it's still disharmony. So, you're saying that this racist brother, someone your lodge welcomed into rolls, and who may have given decades of service to his lodge, should leave to make room for someone that the majority of the lodge has never met? Again, it's a slippery slope.

I would argue that there's a far simpler way (albeit not as fast) to fix this problem; quit admitting racists! Everyone is talking about how the black ball is so powerful for keeping black men out. It is equally as powerful in keeping racists out. This isn't rocket science. A man petitions your lodge, you pull him aside and say to him "as a brother of this lodge, I don't feel that racism has any place here. That being said, if you were to become a member, would the color of a man's skin influence your opinion of him?" If he says yes, use that black ball. It might take decades, and it might result in no new brothers being made if you have to drop a black ball and every candidate, and the lodge may die. But so what? Guard the west gate. Keep the racists out. After all, isn't it more important to rid the Craft of racism rather than to find a way to work around them?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would argue that there's a far simpler way (albeit not as fast) to fix this problem; quit admitting racists! Everyone is talking about how the black ball is so powerful for keeping black men out. It is equally as powerful in keeping racists out. This isn't rocket science. A man petitions your lodge, you pull him aside and say to him "as a brother of this lodge, I don't feel that racism has any place here. That being said, if you were to become a member, would the color of a man's skin influence your opinion of him?" If he says yes, use that black ball. It might take decades, and it might result in no new brothers being made if you have to drop a black ball and every candidate, and the lodge may die. But so what? Guard the west gate. Keep the racists out. After all, isn't it more important to rid the Craft of racism rather than to find a way to work around them?
Great idea and very well said!

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Seeing as this a topic of discussion from 8 years ago (2010). I am closing this thread in consideration that original contributors may not be available for rebuttal.

Should anyone choose to refresh this subject, please create a new version.

Status
Not open for further replies.