My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prince Hall and Mainstream Freemasonry

To what extent should we extend relations between PHA and Mainstream Freemasonry

• Mutual Recognition Only (Currently Is Now)

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • Intervistation Between Lodges

Votes: 87 63.0%
  • Ability to join BOTH PHA or Mainstream Lodges

Votes: 61 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire Bentley

Premium Member
As a Prince Hall Mason I laud your efforts in this endeavor. Knowing Grand Master Curtis as I do and the other Prince Hall Texas Grand officers, negotiation, according to Masonic protocol, will be done in private between the two Grand Masters. Such is the way affairs are conducted between the President of the United States and foreign nations. I would not interpret, however, the non replies from the Grand Masters as a disagreement with your cause. Such might be the case but it also might not.

I think, for me anyway, the long term goal is to turn Freemasonry from a top down society back to a bottom up society. You are certainly paving the way.

How about we give this effort a little more publicity with an article about what you are doing on "The Beehive" at Freemason Information~Masonic Traveler and also likewise on Phoenixmasonry? I am open to writing such an article if you are game.

Please feel free to correspond with me at Phoenixmasonrydirector@gmail.com

Frederic L. Milliken
MWPHGLTX

dfreybur

Premium Member
I think the reason dual membership has not been considered is MWPHGLofTX is a single affiliation jurisdiction. They expect every petition for affiliation to have an attached demit from your previous lodge. Being a PM and life member of a couple of lodges I don't ever intend to demit from either of them. Being an honorary member of a lodge I'm not even aware of a formal process to withdraw from that lodge.

I recently learned that the MWPHGLofTX supports what's called "associate membership". Get the visitation thing resolved and I'd want to take endowed membership in one or more GLofTX lodges and associate membership in a MWPHGLofTX lodge.

Nat Geo 357

In NYC The grand lodge offers dual membership but the PHA will not allow their members to join. They make them demint which is a word not used by other bodies. I have always asked why would a Master Mason have to demint when dual membership is offered. I am of the opinion that the word demint is an enigma in the Masonic dictionary. We should never use this word. Dual membership is a great option.

Freemason Connect Mobile

scialytic

Premium Member
I believe the word that you are looking for is "demit" which means that you have "demitted" from that body, as opposed to "admit" or "omit." The "de" means to withdraw or undo, if I'm not mistaken. So in that case, you would no longer be a member of the Grand Lodge of New York and solely a member of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge in New York (I'm assuming it is F.&A.M. as PHA is only of that lineage). So really, your options are limited. It's one or the other.

dfreybur

Premium Member
In NYC The grand lodge offers dual membership but the PHA will not allow their members to join. They make them demint which is a word not used by other bodies. I have always asked why would a Master Mason have to demint when dual membership is offered.

Some PHA jurisdictions have a single affiliation rule - They only allow a brother to be a member of exactly one craft lodge. In Texas I have learned that I should be able to ask for "associate membership" to get around this issue. Sounds to me like a technicality to get around their single affiliation rule.

I'm a California Mason. California has full mutual recognition with a long list of PHA jurisdictions and has requested mutual recognition with another long list of PHA jurisdictions that have not responded yet (but not Delaware or Rhode Island, I'm asking around on how to get those on the agenda this year or next). The California agreement says no dual affiliations. It was requested by MYPHAGLofCA because they are a single affiliation state. I remember that as recognition happened in California when I was in the line not yet a warden. So in my case I can't ask for "associate membership" in Texas without demitting from my California lodge and it's because of California rules. My California lodge is my mother lodge. I'm a PM and life (endowed) member there. I have no plans to ever demit from them.

Do I wish that all jurisdictions allow dual affiliation? Yes. Do I have influence in those jurisdictions? No. I could affiliate with one of their lodges, go through the line, and start attending their GL every year voting when I can depending on their voting rules. But to do that I'd need to demit from my mother not. Not worth it for me to do that.

Nat Geo 357

I agree big time with the last two comments. The word demit is one I will not recognize at all. I also hope one day the rule of single affiliation goes away.

Freemason Connect Mobile

kemetictraveler

As a member of the PHAm I agree that dual membership be an in our grand body. One day dual membership will be an option, if brothers will stand up in numbers

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Freemason Connect HD mobile app

Rick Clifton

Just a question.

To get a TRUE Picture wouldn't you have offer as a choice: NONE?

Questions asked and answers returned, as at the door.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
Division is not a good thing.

Yet there is strength in diversity. Few are discussing unification. I suggest that there is a distinction that's missing. Sovereignty is a good thing. There's a spectrum of meaning and I'm not sure where it gores from good to bad. Calling each other clandestine for not understanding regularity issues versus recognition issues - bad. Retaining heritage that's centuries old - good.

river rat

I have always had a problem with the Prince Hall part of Masonry. I have always thought we were "One Big Lodge. " Someone please straighten me out?

Freemason Connect HD

Shahkem

I have always had a problem with the Prince Hall part of Masonry. I have always thought we were "One Big Lodge. " Someone please straighten me out?

Freemason Connect HD

I sincerely hope that my reply doesn't come off as sarcastic, because that is not my intention. The reason there is a "Prince Hall part of Masonry" is because of the racist white men who didn't and still don't possess the will to adhere to the principles of our obligations as it pertains to universal brotherhood. If it were not for the blatant prejudice practiced by so called mainstream masons, there would not have been a reason for Prince Hall to declare his lodge as independent, even after had received a charter from the Grand Lodge of England. And due to the racial climate of 18th and 19th century, I can somewhat understand white masons not wanting to admit black men into what they claimed to be their Fraternity. But here we are in the 21st century and although its much better, the racial problem is far from solved. If there was no Prince Hall Freemasonry, easily 75% of Blacks would be denied, just because we're black. Im not sure if this staighten you out or not, but i hope it helps you better understand the necessity of Prince Hall Masonry for the African American.

Freemason Connect HD

bupton52

Premium Member
I sincerely hope that my reply doesn't come off as sarcastic, because that is not my intention. The reason there is a "Prince Hall part of Masonry" is because of the racist white men who didn't and still don't possess the will to adhere to the principles of our obligations as it pertains to universal brotherhood. If it were not for the blatant prejudice practiced by so called mainstream masons, there would not have been a reason for Prince Hall to declare his lodge as independent, even after had received a charter from the Grand Lodge of England. And due to the racial climate of 18th and 19th century, I can somewhat understand white masons not wanting to admit black men into what they claimed to be their Fraternity. But here we are in the 21st century and although its much better, the racial problem is far from solved. If there was no Prince Hall Freemasonry, easily 75% of Blacks would be denied, just because we're black. Im not sure if this staighten you out or not, but i hope it helps you better understand the necessity of Prince Hall Masonry for the African American.

Freemason Connect HD

There are just as many African American bigots in our fraternity. The blame has to be shared. It is important to know that "our" hands are not squeaky clean. Once that is realized, some of the anger at the situation in the South can be appropriately placed.

S&F
Bro. Byron Upton

Shahkem

There are just as many African American bigots in our fraternity. The blame has to be shared. It is important to know that "our" hands are not squeaky clean. Once that is realized, some of the anger at the situation in the South can be appropriately placed.

S&F
Bro. Byron Upton

I'm really not sure how your statement has as anything to do with the question that was posed and the answer I gave. Exactly how are "we" to blame for the racial sentiments that would have deprived us from practicing Freemasonry? This particular topic has nothing to do with any of us being bigots. That's a different topic all together. This topic pertains to the reason Prince Freemasonry was and is still needed. The individual somewhat made a case against PH and I simply made a case for it. So Im a little confused as about your post.

Freemason Connect HD

gregw

As a white man in PH I get more slack from white members in other lodges, it makes me more proud to be a part of PH than in a prominently white lodge, the way they give me a hard time, I stand up for my brothers and ask them to visit our lodge. They have yet to come. White lodges seem to still have some kind of grudge against PH, like we aren't the real thing. I refuse to believe that and will proudly stay were I'm at. Until the bi
laws bring us together and everyone accepts it. We will need PH. That day may never come. Stay strong and in due bounds my brothers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freemason Connect HD mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.