My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Lodge Bylaw's

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Here are some changes I hope to implement....

Bonding of Officers
The Lodge may, at its option, require good and sufficient bonding of the elected Lodge Officers.

Fraternal Assistance
It is their duty to examine and approve all claimants for assistance and if necessary, they may draw upon the Treasurer, in each instance for the amount not to exceed seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750.00), reporting the facts in each case to the Lodge at it's next stated meeting thereafter. (Was $250)

Fees For Degrees
The fee for the three degrees of Masonry are $300. The entire payment may be made at any time, or in $100 increments prior to the conferral of each degree. In addition to the regular fees collected by the Lodge, a $25 contribution to the Texas Masonic Charities Foundation shall be collected from each applicant for the Master Mason Degree. In addition to the regular fee for initiation, a $5.00 donation to the George Washington Masonic Memorial shall be collected from each applicant for the Entered Apprentice Degree.

Worshipful Master
The Worshipful Master shall appoint an instructor to instruct candidates in the various degrees, for the term of his elective year, and may allow him a salary to be agreed upon by the three principal officers, and the instructor, to be paid by the Lodge.

Dress Code
The Dress Code of this Lodge will permit casual dress. However, it must be appropriate for the occasion, and does not include the wearing of shorts, sleeveless shirts or open toe shoes at any time.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member

Worshipful Master
The Worshipful Master shall appoint an instructor to instruct candidates in the various degrees, for the term of his elective year, and may allow him a salary to be agreed upon by the three principal officers, and the instructor, to be paid by the Lodge.

Salary seems to be common in more rural lodges, but there are some in San Antonio that have it, PU has it for the secretary, but that is it. One person it could be overwhelming we had 9 EAs at one time. :)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Benton

Premium Member

Bonding of Officers
The Lodge may, at its option, require good and sufficient bonding of the elected Lodge Officers.
Dress Code
The Dress Code of this Lodge will permit casual dress. However, it must be appropriate for the occasion, and does not include the wearing of shorts, sleeveless shirts or open toe shoes at any time.

Curious about the first one. Not sure what you mean by it.

Also, if you're going to ban shorts, why not ban T-Shirts as well? In my mind, they're just as casual as shorts. I don't really see the difference between the two. Not that I care about how y'all run your lodge, just curious.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Having been in one job that required bonding, if it's the same thing, one is required to put an amount of money into an escrow. Once/if one completes ones duties satisfactorily, the money is released (in some agreements, with interest). If one screws up, one not only loses the position but the bond--at least that's how it works for some bonded employees.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm unsure what you mean by 'bonding of officers'?

We have several similar rules, however we implemented them all into our lodge guidelines instead of our bylaws, that way we can make changes to them more easily.

Guidelines - Welcome to the Grandview Masonic Lodge

That's a great idea! In regards to bonding, I presume it means insuring the primary officers. For a small Lodge, we have around $300k in the bank. Here's a copy and paste version:

" Each registered management investment company shall provide and maintain a bond which shall be issued by a reputable fidelity insurance company, authorized to do business in the place where the bond is issued, against larceny and embezzlement, covering each officer and employee of the investment company, who may singly, or jointly with others, have access to securities or funds of the investment company, either directly or through authority to draw upon such funds or to direct generally the disposition of such securities, unless the officer or employee has such access solely through his position as an officer or employee of a bank (hereinafter referred to as "covered persons").

Now guidelines vs. bylaws. At least with bylaws, they can be enforced vs. a common courtesy sorta deal?

Last edited:

JJones

Now guidelines vs. bylaws. At least with bylaws, they can be enforced vs. a common courtesy sorta deal?

To be honest, I don't know. In our lodge, how well you adhere to the guidelines gets taken into account when it's time to consider advancement for officers or degrees.

Otherwise, I don't know for sure what you can legally do. Perhaps someone more informed can answer that for both of us.

dreamer

I will be following this post. The dress code is to be a problem today. You hear "it's the internal not the external." How does somebody deal with that and not lose a Brother? I understand coming to the Lodge after work from the ranch, and I would rather have someone attend when there is no time to change, but somebody who has time and refuses to be in proper attire. Tough one. I will says this, when our Brothers were told of the dress code, they followed, except one.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I had a time where I had to go straight from lumping vending machines to an interview. I put a spare set of clothes, my razor, etc. in my car.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I never understood how you can get to lodge but have no time to change.

Our meetings are scheduled. If one shows up in work clothes then they made the conscious thought that they intend to go to lodge. So, since having due notice, pack a suit and put in in the car or if in Texas, the truck. :RpS_razz:

If you're showing up from a job that requires manual labor, then you probably need a shower too. Stinking in Jeans and stinking in a suit is still stinking. :RpS_flapper:

rpbrown

Premium Member
Bonding of officers can be expensive and in cases could be embarrassing. Say a brother fell into hard times but was working his way out of it. In doing so though, his credit took a few dings. Depending on how big the dings were, he may not be bond-able or the rate to bond him would be quite excessive.

I have had to bond employees for certain jobs and it can get touchy at times.

JFS61

Premium Member
Interesting that nobody has a problem with the idea of sending $5.00 to the George Washington Masonic Memorial, but ask someone to donate a buck to the building fund in Waco and everybody comes unglued. I think a lot of people have forgotten that charity begins at home.

tomoso

I have put forth a suggestion that the Lodge buy, or Brothers contribute to buying, black robes and white gloves for everyone. That way, regardless of what you have underneath, we are all the same. Plus, hard to text with gloves on.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Worshipful Master

In my mother lodge this is an appointed office "Candidates Coach". It has always been an informal office not listed in the bylaws, but it has been in the officer list in every trestle board newsletter I have received from the first one after I was initiated to the one I received this month. He has been announced at every installation in the list of appointments, including at my own back in 1999.

The duty of the candidates coach is to ensure that every candidate has an active coach. Hopefully the top line signer but often a new guy just entering the line or an old timer who is pulled back into activity by the assignment. The candidates coach is the last resort assignment to teach the proficiencies to the pipeline of candidates.

As this system has worked well in many lodges in California, I recommend it everywhere.

Tony Uzzell

I wanted to comment here even though the post is a couple of years old now.

Guidelines vs. Bylaws

Most non-Masonic organizations have a Constitution and By-Laws. The process for changing the constitution is onerous and time-consuming, so the Constitution is typically less specific, more vague, like that. Because you can only change the Constitution after a 3-month process and getting x number of sponsors, and getting the approval of the statewide organization or national organization. Meanwhile, the By-Laws (in these organizations) are more specific, more direct, but they can be changed more easily. Usually, in those organizations, a by-law can be changed by 2/3 vote or can be suspended temporarily by the same rule. This is what I think of when I hear Masonic Lodge By-Laws vs. Lodge Guidelines. Make the By-Laws general and the Guidelines specific.

As far as enforcement goes, it's simple. Rules are enforced by the leadership as they are supported by the membership. We all know one of the issues in the modern fraternity is people using cell phones to text, access Facebook, etc., during meetings of the Lodge and every Lodge I know of has some sort of prohibition about that (in fact, our DDGM made mention of the inappropriateness of it during his official visit, so supported by the Grand Master). However, if your Master and Wardens are "playing on their cell phones" during the meeting or are unwilling to enforce those rules, then either the members have to force them to do so or the rules go unenforced. It's the same thing with Lodge By-Laws, Lodge Guidelines.....or heck, Masonic Law. How many times have you seen a Brother do something that is technically against Masonic Law and, for whatever personal reason, you did nothing to bring them into line? (I'm thinking specifically of the fact that "code books" were "illegal" in Texas Masonry for many years, but a great number of Masons owned them.) Rules are rules. Calling them by different names does nothing to whether or not they should be enforced.

TU

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I'm ashamed to admit that I do not know my lodge's by laws. Didn't even occur to me until I landed on this thread. Will remedy this as soon as possible.