My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Website Forum

Txmason

Howdy!

I am Jerry and I am just starting out as our lodge's webmaster. I would like to know if there are any Masons that could assist me in learning how to create a website using HTML or XHTML. Currently our website is template design and I would like to learn how to utilize HTML etc. to create a dynamic website. I also have two books on the subject of HTML as well

Or perhaps provide one on one tutoring. I am from Lake Conroe and would be willing to meet a brother in The Woodlands/Spring/Conroe/1960 area.

I appreciate your help and feel free to e-mail me with any suggestions.

Best,
Jerry

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
HTML may be a tough way to go... not many people program websites in straight HTML nowadays. PHP may be better suited.

Also, if you are new to it, start with a CMS like Joomla or Drupal and then go from there, would be my suggestion.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I would suggest at least starting out with some type of CMS. They make it a lot easier to rollout and administer a dynamic website. Plus they don't require the knowledge of HTML, ASP, PSP, etc.

Txmason

Oh thank you for the ideas! What is CMS? How does CMS work? Also is there a book I can read? A particular title or author you'd recommend? I am a very visual learner.

Best,
Jerry

My email is Txmason106@yahoo.com

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
CMS stands for Content Management System. We use Joomla for my lodge. It's easy to learn, and I believe they have some video tutorials on their site as well. Plus they have a pretty good forum for questions.

RichardRLJ

Premium Member
Hello,

I am also looking at developing some web sites for Masonic Applications - I attended a York Rite Workshop where Wordpress was suggested. Any Comments? I have little or no experience -

I found this web site:

Wordpress vs Joomla

Joomla seems to have more of the needed power and features if it is easy enough to use?

Hndrx

Premium Member
CMS can be a great way to go. However if you aren't going to rely on a WYSIWYG or CMS editor only, learning HTML is always a good starting point for learning how to develop your own websites. Other skills that you will need to learn will depend in large part on the type of host that you select for your website. For example, you can do ASP/ASP.NET pages that generate dynamic content from MDB files if your web server is Windows based. However, if the same server offered access to its SQL server then you would want to use SQL instead of Access MDBs. If, however, the server is Linux based then it will not support ASP. In that case, you might want to use PHP and mySQL. Both of which are commonly available on Linux servers.

HTML works everywhere and is a good foundation for learning other stuff. I would suggest starting there and also researching your host for your site. Find out the type of server, what they offer, and the limits of your account access. Also you are going to want to learn to use FTP to transfer files.

Either using a CMS type arrangement or doing your own development will work. Try both and see what you have a talent for using.

Last edited:

tmcguire

Premium Member
I am the webmaster for our lodge website at http://www.roundrocklodge227.org Building websites is my profession and I also host sites. Regarding the technology to use for your website, it is important to identify what you are trying to accomplish and build accordingly. I frequently find myself wanting to build an aircraft carrier when I only need a dinghy boat. Once you know what it is your are trying to accomplish then you choose the right tools for the job. In our case Wordpress was a perfect fit. It is very simple for someone to pick up and use without ANY knowledge what so ever. It is important not to get into a discussion about which CMS is better than the other. It is as pointless as the 'Apple vs. PC' argument. Use what your peers use so you can source them for assistance.

Yes learn HTML. Learn PHP if you want to present more dynamic content. But, without a doubt, use a CMS. You may not always be the webmaster and a CMS has a low barrier to entry and anyone can pick it up and produce or update content for your website.

-Tom

Txmason

tmcguire said:
I am the webmaster for our lodge website at http://www.roundrocklodge227.org Building websites is my profession and I also host sites. Regarding the technology to use for your website, it is important to identify what you are trying to accomplish and build accordingly. I frequently find myself wanting to build an aircraft carrier when I only need a dinghy boat. Once you know what it is your are trying to accomplish then you choose the right tools for the job. In our case Wordpress was a perfect fit. It is very simple for someone to pick up and use without ANY knowledge what so ever. It is important not to get into a discussion about which CMS is better than the other. It is as pointless as the 'Apple vs. PC' argument. Use what your peers use so you can source them for assistance.

Yes learn HTML. Learn PHP if you want to present more dynamic content. But, without a doubt, use a CMS. You may not always be the webmaster and a CMS has a low barrier to entry and anyone can pick it up and produce or update content for your website.

-Tom

Tom,

Thank you so much for your advice! I have a book called, teach yourself visually HTML. Is that a good book to start with? Also, can I email you the HTML code after I've written some?

I sure would love the help if you could.

Best,
Jerry