My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ladies Freemasonry in the UK video

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The only thing I'll add is of course it's intolerant. Every time you put a rule or a stipulation on something making a requirement it is intolerant. And I agree, we could debate this for weeks and neither of us would be satisfied. As I've previously stated... we will have to agree to disagree, because going much further would indeed get... as Mr. Cook suggested, rancorous on both sides I'm sure.
Not “Brother” Cook?

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
This proves a woman can’t be a Freemason in the GL of FL. There is no universality (a myth) and “the landmarks” aren’t consistent or used by all GLs. But I understand that this his how you feel and what you believe. Nothing wrong with that, but you can’t try to impose your beliefs on the rest of the world. That’s hubris and shows a level of intolerance.
I’m finished here. We have a difference of opinions and nothing the other says will change that.
POTS
Are you in favor of women being initiated, passed, and raised in regular and recognized masonic lodges ?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
Hmmm "The Odd Fellows opened general membership to women in 2001, said Dino Fioran, secretary for the provincial organization of Odd Fellows."
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...rs-woman-leads-victoria-odd-fellows-1.1734684

There's a functioning Odd Fellow lodge near where I live. I heard about it at a partisan political event we attended. That coincidence I find hilarious as both groups have the same landmark against discussing partisan politics at lodge.

The Odd Fellows have much worse membership decline problems than we do. Our numbers are retreating back to the pre-WW1 levels but now many lodges are thriving and have calendars filled with degrees. The decline in Odd Fellow membership might not have the type of bottom we are seeing. Very few of their lodges are thriving, possibly because they never did have as many lodges as we did.

A couple of decades ago the Girl Scouts faced an organizational crisis. They funded their activities by selling cookies. That's a business. The a business it does not matter if it's for profit or not for profit, businesses above a certain size are not allowed to discriminate. The Girl Scouts faced a choice. Stop selling cookies or allow boys and atheists. Apparently they did a lot of soul searching and discussion about what their values were. They chose to stop discriminating. Needless to say, boys didn't rush in and take over but that must have looked possible during the discussion. Once they chose their values, they stuck to them. I cheered them on.

A couple of decades ago the Boy Scouts watched these events carefully. Apparently they did a lot of soul searching and discussion about what their values were. They chose to stay boys only with no atheists. The rest of the world noticed that this was discrimination just like we practice, so external funding for Boy Scout events dropped precipitously. Town halls and parks that had donated spaces for meetings had them leave. Churches and lodges took in Dems. Once they chose their values, they stuck to them. I cheered them on and asked by lodge to welcome a den should our DeMolay fail.

For a while their situation paralleled the situation we now have between Freemasons and Odd Fellows. We could be stable like this for a long time. Female and mixed Masonry exist without formal contact with us, but they are tiny compared to us. They just aren't big enough to matter other than symbolically.

But let's watch carefully what's going on with the Boy Scouts. These days they are selling popcorn to fund their activities. Which is a business. It does not matter if a business is for profit or not for profit, once that business grows beyond some point it can't discriminate. Notice that the Boy Scouts are starting to drop their old values replacing them with new ones. They are emulating the Girl Scouts. And the Odd Fellows, Moose and so on.

We have long experienced pressure to accept women. I personally have pointed at least one woman to CoMasonry when asked. They act as a pressure value to relieve the pressure we experience.

As long as we don't become a business, we don't trigger the type of legal issues Scouting experienced. As long as CoMasonry and female Masonry exist, we can point ladies to them.

But I've been seeing commercials about the Shrine Hospitals. Right now that's our biggest risk for starting up a business to raise funds. Tonight I'll visit a local Shrine and bring home a petition to move my membership locally. I'm going to keep this issue in mind.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
We have long experienced pressure to accept women. I personally have pointed at least one woman to CoMasonry when asked. They act as a pressure value to relieve the pressure we experience.

As long as we don't become a business, we don't trigger the type of legal issues Scouting experienced. As long as CoMasonry and female Masonry exist, we can point ladies to them.
Really good points to ponder.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
When I first saw the title of this video, I thought it was another BBC bashing of the fraternity. To my surprise, it was about female Masonry. I liken it to the greek system I belonged to in College, we had fraternities, ladies has sororities. Could they join our fraternity, no, could I join the ladies sororities, (ok I tried)no. Could we co exist, yes.

Would I sit in a ladies lodge, no it's against the oath I took. Do I personally have a problem with it, no. I stand with Brother Bloke and Capt Cook, arrrrgh! Sorry counselor couldn't resist. I have enjoyed all points of view on this discussion.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Would I sit in a ladies lodge, no it's against the oath I took. Do I personally have a problem with it, no.
I don't have a problem with it either for others to practice. To each his own. But mainstream Masonry considers it clandestine.
I stand with Brother Bloke and Capt Cook, arrrrgh!
Just don’t laugh at my eye patch, peg leg and hook, and we’re ok.
Lol.

LeoValMer05

In my personal opinion, women should be Freemasons. We can do a whole Rite where woman can be masons. They must follow the all Masonic laws, and can either have a York- or Scottish-oriented form of institution. There can even be a meeting in the Grand Lodge, and even have a mixed Grand Lodge meeting. Again, this is my personal opinion, and you're welcome to disagree. I just keep in mind that the most important for one to be a Freemason is to be of good behavior and choose to become one willingly.

CLewey44

I know that it would eventually run off most guys. Many wives that have no interest in joining would maybe give a brother grief since it was suddenly a 'secretive' co-ed organization. I think it's a good argument and on the surface sounds ok but not sure it would actually benefit the Craft in any way. It's one thing to have Masonic getaways with some guys but you throw women in the mix and it changes everything. I personally don't have a big problem with it but it just won't happen and I'm good with that.