My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Initiating my Son...

luftx

Premium Member
Well, just to bring everyone up to date on my son, he is now a Master Mason, and has turned in his work. I apologize for the long delay in posting.

We are all very proud of him. So everyone understands the story, I had been in possession of my grandfathers MM ring for years. It's been safely stored in my wife's jewelry box so it was never misplaced. About a week before my son's MM degree, I gave it back to my dad, and he looked at me with questioning eyes, and I told him, that it was his dad's ring, so he should be the one that gave it my son.

So on the night of the degree, to the lodge's consternation, I brought back in most of the degree team that were there when Nathan (my son) got initiated, with a few changes, my dad was the WM, I was the Senior Deacon (I can't tell you how cool it was when I got him inside the door and whispered to him "It's OK son, you're in Dad's hands now, nothing to be worried about" and then the degree started. The degree went VERY well and I didn't screw it up too bad, and my dad was JB and had fun there.

After the degree, lecture, charge, apron/bible/ballot box presentations were done, my dad did the "On Yonder Book" charge, and then walked up to my son (who was still at the alter) and but his arm around him (which isn't easy, Nathan stands about 6'6") and said "Son, we (the family) are all proud of you. We love you very much, so would you please stick out your right hand." Nathan did, and my dad placed the ring on the finger, and said, "Nathan, this is your great-grandfather's ring, and we want you to wear this ring with pride. There wasn't a dry eye in the house."

The ring is worn, the compass and square are almost worn smooth from the amount of time my grandpa wore it, but my son wears it with pride and protects it like it was the Crown Jewels.

Robert

Last edited:

Hippie19950

Premium Member
Bro. Robert, that is an amazing story. I have experienced a 3 generation Degree, and was probably the best (well, next to mine...). As in your case, Granddad was the WM, Dad was SD, and the son was brought before all of us. I hope one day to be a part of something like that, but not sure it will happen. Closest so far, was my Father-in-law being at mine.
Thanks.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Congratulations Brother, what a moving story. I wish the best of everything to your son. It sounds as if he will be one who will contribute to our great fraternity in a positive way.