My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having your light taken

dfreybur

Premium Member
I never could understand that.

Always good to hear from folks who treat certain topics as historical curiosities. When folks talk race I consider Daytona 500. When folks talk color I consider the color of their uniform (so civilians are rainbow? ;^). But it has not been thus for long on a Masonic time scale of centuries.

Why won't the two come together? is there something stoping that?

If you mean unification that gets discussed every now and then, but the two US branches of our family are older than the country. Many think that much heritage would be lost. There are plenty of countries in the world with overlapping jurisdictions so the world outside the US does not expect or require unification.

Also why is it when I talk about freemasonry every expects I'm talking about joint ph is there such a huge difference?

Guys make a guess based on appearance. All historical these days but the two branches of our family have heritage that influences membership statistics.

The differences are in the details, mostly trivial. Wear gloves at meetings versus only at funerals. When to put on the apron. Singing a song or not. Mostly the same amount of difference you see when traveling state to state.

BroBook

Premium Member
How many brothers wear shirts with the 47th problem of Euclid and have no idea how to explain it ? ;)

Im not going to take a brothers shirt like im smarter and i busted him so im gonna pull rank (not literally).

NO i sit down with a brother and go over the subject with him. Now he's educated!

Im starting to realize why PH is not recognized in FL more and more every time i hear stories like this.
Maybe I missed something what does that foolery have to do with racism in masonry? I am PH in fl went from what we call 4 letter to 3 letter, and have never had anyone attempt to take anything nor have I tried, but am
a big believer if you can't protect it don't wear it, I would strongly suggest that you put it up or give it away, a cousin of mine just gave me a watch and I told "thanks because I did not want to get a call saying he got his arm cut off" :-(

Levelhead

Premium Member
Maybe I missed something what does that foolery have to do with racism in masonry? I am PH in fl went from what we call 4 letter to 3 letter, and have never had anyone attempt to take anything nor have I tried, but am
a big believer if you can't protect it don't wear it, I would strongly suggest that you put it up or give it away, a cousin of mine just gave me a watch and I told "thanks because I did not want to get a call saying he got his arm cut off" :-(
Dont put racism in my post. That word was not used or insinuated.

BroBook

Premium Member
My Jurisdiction is one of the oldest amongst PHA and challenges is strictly prohibited. It should have no place in Masonry, there is a time and place for such.
Are challenges prohibited or the taking of items? What jurisdiction ?

dfreybur

Premium Member
What about often .... Never & willing

Does not apply when not trying to get into a tiled lodge. All that stuff is what we are told to keep secret so it doesn't make sense to conduct challenges in public where eavesdroppers can piece it all together one bit at a time. I get that folks can look it up at the library, but I promised to not help any outsider do that. Challenges in public hand out a bit at a time.

I should really write "visible to the public" so "in public" is really a shorthand for that. We can be out in public and whisper something into each others ears. That's clearly not what is meant by challenges in public.

I'm also puzzled how challenges in public might handle clandestine membership issues. I can hang out with a man and in minutes know he's a brother as long as I don't care about clandestine membership, but until we get to a tiled meeting I don't need to care about that. Aren't we supposed to avoid exchanging the secrets with a clandestine member? Public challenges seem to not take that into account - Except in this case where members of his own lodge are frustrated by one of their own and reacting out of that frustration.

Morris

Premium Member
This whole thing is silly. You try taking something from me and you will likely get shot. Sounds blunt but it's reality.
We abide by the laws of the land, and taking someone's property is unlawful.

Challenging is meant to get into a tiled lodge. And only challenge to the extent to prove he is a MM.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
This whole thing is silly. You try taking something from me and you will likely get shot. Sounds blunt but it's reality.
We abide by the laws of the land, and taking someone's property is unlawful.

Challenging is meant to get into a tiled lodge. And only challenge to the extent to prove he is a MM.
I feel the same. If anyone tried to take my personal property there would be a problem.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Brethren I just wanted to come back to this post and say " if I have said Anything that has offended any of the brethren here that was not my intention and please except my most humble apology . I did not mean to cause such a big issue on the subject . I guess I was looking at it from the perspective that iron sharpens iron but looking back on things I can see how this could be viewed as negative conduct depending on ones take on the subject , very interesting comments by everyone by the way ..this will definitely prove helpful in my travels

S&F
Bro.R.Pierce

tldubb

Premium Member
Are challenges prohibited or the taking of items? What jurisdiction ?
Yes, it is my Jurisdiction is the MWPHGL Jurisdiction of Pennsylvania, and in our constitution and bylaws doesn't condone "challenges" and or the taking of so called masonic sybalism. I'm sure in your constitution and bylaws like in mine it tells us how we should carry ourselves amongst our brethren outside of lodge settings and amongst "strange brethren". The understanding of masonic intercourse, and how to handle a brother who comes up lacking in that intercourse.

The only time any type of challenge is when a brother is visiting from another lodge and/ or amiable(recognized with full visitation) foreign jurisdiction and that particular brother is unknown to any of the Brethren present in a tiled lodge. That is when the Worshipful Master sends a committee or a brother to ascertain if the individual is worthy and well qualified to be admitted and only with the WMs permission. Peace!

goldsquare

Taking any items from anyone is a foolish practice. We aren't a part of a gang and we don't steal from brothers.[

I remember my grandfather who was a MM would tell me stories of how if you didn't know certain challenges and you had on a ring that it could be taken. After I was raised I was hesitant about wearing the square and compass, however brothers encourage me to do so to ascertain more light in my travels. This motivated me to CRAVE for more knowledge and when you are approached asked about getting more knowledge if you do not know. Stay on the square my brothers and enlighten each other rather than take away,

EQNUPE

As a FC, I've never worn "Light", but in the realm of BGLO's(Black Greek Letter Organizations),it was common practice. We used it as a way to identify who "Pledged", and who didn't. The problem is, challenge questions are largely regional, and there is no way of authentication of information. I've never done this, and it never has happened to me. At the end of the day, if a "brother" would rather demand my belongings than educate me, he is not a brother. Likewise, if I hand over my belongings, I am in error.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
As a FC, I've never worn "Light", but in the realm of BGLO's(Black Greek Letter Organizations),it was common practice. We used it as a way to identify who "Pledged", and who didn't. The problem is, challenge questions are largely regional, and there is no way of authentication of information. I've never done this, and it never has happened to me. At the end of the day, if a "brother" would rather demand my belongings than educate me, he is not a brother. Likewise, if I hand over my belongings, I am in error.[/QUOTE very good answer