My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry moral values, secret or not?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I do not know what you were taught by Freemasonry about the word agape,...
As with most things offered by Freemasonic instruction, you'll get filtered and partial Light only. Like a hyperlink, it's up to you to chase down the masonic rabbits intended to gain insight(s) into the EXTREMELY superficial offerings.
...I am Greek,
Yeah... and I'm American. And although I have explored the meaning(s) offered up by foreign tongues, I have to ultimately investigate and understand it within the context of the times and culture the word was used within. In this case, what I have offered up is enough information to allow serious students enough light to pursue the masonic rabbits further, should they truly desire to understand what's superficially offered up to them by the Craft.

...and "agape" means exactly "love" in modern Greek. Not unconditional love, or something else.
Yeah.. but we are NOT talking about "modern Greek", are we?

But, if you write something like "Agape", which is equivalent to "Love", you can mean unconditional love, as in English.
Yep. You're getting it. Kudos!

As with most things having to do with language(s), the modern day Greek usage is not the meaning assigned to it "way-back-when" and in the English of the day, and more specifically, by the original spin-meisters of Freemasonic Rituals who were doing there best to plant breadcrumb trails for the more serious members to pursue.

Hence the clarification that I put forth. Pursue it further or don't. Your choice.

"Agape (Ancient Greek ἀγάπη, agapē) is a Greco-Christian term referring to unconditional love, "the highest form of love, charity" and "the love of God for man and of man for God". The word is not to be confused with philia, brotherly love, or philautia, self-love, as it embraces a universal, unconditional love that transcends and persists regardless of circumstance. It goes beyond just the emotions to the extent of seeking the best for others. The noun form first occurs in the Septuagint, but the verb form goes as far back as Homer, translated literally as affection, as in "greet with affection" and "show affection for the dead". Other ancient authors have used forms of the word to denote love of a spouse or family, or affection for a particular activity, in contrast to eros (an affection of a sexual nature)."
-- SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agape

johnvranos

Interesting post. I do not know how to search for learning in depth, masonic moral values, as I am not a Freemason and I do not know the presentations and symbols used to learn these values.

I hope I will become one some day.

The following is what I am studying these days:

The Basic Principles of Freemasons
Freemasons have a set of basic principles that they all live by. Masonic lodge members promise never to bring anything offensive or defensive into the lodge with them — both weapons and words. The object of the lodge is to create a place where those divisions are left outside, so Masons can engage in activities that unite them instead of separating them:

• A moral code: Freemasons believe in honor and that a man has a responsibility to behave honorably in everything he does. Freemasonry teaches its members the principles of personal decency and personal responsibility. It hopes to inspire them to have charity and good will toward all mankind, and to translate principles and convictions into action.

• Charity: Freemasonry is devoted to the promotion of the welfare and happiness of all mankind. Freemasonry teaches its members that unselfishness is a duty and that it’s not only more blessed to give than to receive, but also more rewarding.

• Education: Freemasonry teaches a system of morality and brotherhood by the use of symbols and dramatic presentations. It encourages its members to expand their knowledge of the world around them.

• Religious, not a religion: Freemasons believe in the brotherhood of man, under the fatherhood of God. Freemasonry isn’t a religion, but it is religious because it requires its members to have faith in a Supreme Being, according to the individual Mason’s belief. It’s not a sectarian organization and does not promote one religion over another. Masonic ceremonies describe a moral code, using basic principles that are common to all religions.

• Social responsibility: Freemasonry stands for the reverence of God and the proper place of individual faith in society; for truth and justice; for fraternity and philanthropy; and for orderly civil, religious, and intellectual liberty. It charges each of its members to be true and loyal to the government of the country to which he owes allegiance and to be obedient to the law of any state in which he may reside.

However, Masonry does philosophically oppose tyranny, dictatorship, and any destruction of human dignity, basic human rights, and the free exercise of religion.
  • Nonpolitical, nonsectarian: One of the first rules of Freemasonry forbids the discussion in Masonic meetings of religious matters and politics — topics likely to cause personal arguments. It’s also against the fundamental principles of Freemasonry for Masonic organizations to take political action or attempt to influence elections or legislation.

• Equality among members: Freemasonry regards no man for his worldly wealth, social status, or outward appearance. Kings, princes, sultans, and potentates have been Masons. So have paperboys, garbage men, factory workers, and fast-food fry cooks.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Interesting post. I do not know how to search for learning in depth, masonic moral values, as I am not a Freemason and I do not know the presentations and symbols used to learn these values.

I hope I will become one some day.

The following is what I am studying these days:
As you study from the outside, keep in mind, much of what is written is by well meaning Brothers who write through the filter and by the biases of their own understanding. Until you have been on the inside, you do not have the experience to know how to take what a Brother shares and contrast it with actual historical support, and do so to assure you don't blindly accept what is too often offered as conjecture based and religiously swayed opinion.

johnvranos

As you study from the outside, keep in mind, much of what is written is by well meaning Brothers who write through the filter and by the biases of their own understanding. Until you have been on the inside, you do not have the experience to know how to take what a Brother shares and contrast it with actual historical support, and do so to assure you don't blindly accept what is too often offered as conjecture based and religiously swayed opinion.

OK, I understand that, what I read is the conclusions of some Freemasons.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
OK, I understand that, what I read is the conclusions of some Freemasons.
Exactly! Some of it's truly good stuff. Others are good, but without further Craft experience, very misleading. a few are downright off the rails and not accurate at all.

Winter

Premium Member
Exactly! Some of it's truly good stuff. Others are good, but without further Craft experience, very misleading. a few are downright off the rails and not accurate at all.

Off the rails! This will be the name of my new Masonic podcast where we highlight the latest nonsense around the world in Freemasonry that week. lol