My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dress Attire Revisited

Wingnut

Premium Member
Thats great news! We currently help with the 32nd and most of our members are involved in at least 2 degrees. Im in the 26th and 31st.

B

BrianM

The real world is most of the lodges in our area just have enough to open..?

This seems to be the problem with the Lodges in my area that requires tuxes/suits . They barely have enough to open lodge (most chairs are filled by protems from other lodges) . While the Country lodges which are laid back and only require that our members be comfortable and just be there to share in the fellowship have wonderful turnouts at every meeting . As Jwardl (I think) stated , if tuxes and/or suits were required at every meeting I would not have joined , well I still would have joined , I just would not attend lodge . I am uncomfortable in them and I do not want to set for hours wearing them .

I do find it humorous that there are those on Masonic forums (not saying this one ) that state that every Mason should have to dress to the nines to attend lodge in one thread and then complain no one comes to lodge in another . I do not think someone wearing a tux respects Masonry more than I because I do not .

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
While the Country lodges which are laid back and only require that our members be comfortable and just be there to share in the fellowship have wonderful turnouts at every meeting.

Not what I've seen. At the handful of rural lodges I've visited, there were just enough people to open. One wouldn't have been able to open had I not been there to make the magic number.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
From my experience a man who finds the reaoning behind the sacrifice of proper dress at the proper time has found new levels within himself and Masonry. I am a firm believer that dress does not equal the man but the man can equal his dress or at least feel he does and confindence is the name of this game. The key though is dressing up on your own free will and accord if not then it is just punishment and should be avoided. I for one will welcome you in shorts and sandals they only way I care is if you are not there.

B

BrianM

Not what I've seen. At the handful of rural lodges I've visited, there were just enough people to open. One wouldn't have been able to open had I not been there to make the magic number.

So I guess what goes for one "rural" lodge goes for all then . Sorry , my bad , all these Brothers in mine and other lodges must be figments of my imagination .

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
So I guess what goes for one "rural" lodge goes for all then . Sorry , my bad , all these Brothers in mine and other lodges must be figments of my imagination .

I don't recall saying that it is this way in EVERY rural lodge. Just the handful I've been to.

Lose the attitude and sarcasm please.

ncm_pkt

A suit or tux should be highly recommended, but not mandatory....I do think all brothers should be given a pair of gloves just as you're given an apron....there is a lot of symbolism behind white gloves as well.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
In one Federal Court District I used to file cases in, ANYONE entering the courtroom had to have a suit jacket, and tie on. read that HAD. There were a variety of sizes of Dark Blue jackets hanging on a coat rack that were provided by the U.S. Government, kind of reminded me of the one's issued by the Air Force. It was funny to look around at folks who came to see their buddy or a family member on trial or being sentenced wearing a T-Shirt (Limp Lizard or whatever), with a clip on tie, and Blue Blazer. One time I was on regular patrol, and was called to transport a prisoner to the court for a detention hearing. I was in uniform (Tan Deputy). When I got there, the Marshal handed me a Blazer, and said the Judge required it... I always made sure I had a suit at the office after that. Basically, there are times when you HAVE to dress up, times when you can, and times when it is not an advantage... I can see me going to work in a suit and tie... They already have the phone number to the Waco V.A. posted all over the shop, and on Speed Dial in case I ever go over the edge!!! :) And actually, I do enjoy dressing nice when I "want to". I think it was stated earlier that when we do that, it is more of a treat, then a punishment. Too many uniforms, and too many suits over the years make me just want to be comfortable when I can...

TxManx

This has been an interesting thread to read...

I have to agree with the concept of some masons being more rough ashlars than the perfect ashlars we all strive to be...

I think it's important to note that while some can afford a suit and tie, there are others who simply cannot afford much more than a t-shirt and jeans. Many brothers save for months to pay their yearly dues, yet we are all equal in Masonry.

I agree with the concept that we should dress our best, if it's feasible, but in today's society - it's simply not feasible for many...and in the roots of our past, it was rarely feasible.

When traveling for a day or two to attend a stated meeting, wouldn't the risk of the journey be enough to show dedication and respect to the lodge?

Granted, when attending a degree, or other special event, everyone should dress the best they can, stated meetings are by nature to be more casual, comfortable, and are meant to be informative.

The purpose of the stated meetings is to discuss business, break bread, and have fellowship...right?

I could care less how my Brother dresses...provided he is attending, attentive, and doesn't spend the entire meeting texting, surfing the web on his phone, or chit-chatting with other Brothers about non-Masonic topics.

If his dress is completely objectionable, I would inquire why - and offer assistance in acquiring appropriate attire if he needed it...but that would be the limit of my query.

Am I unique in this belief?

Zack

This has been an interesting thread to read...
I think it's important to note that while some can afford a suit and tie, there are others who simply cannot afford much more than a t-shirt and jeans. Many brothers save for months to pay their yearly dues, yet we are all equal in Masonry.

Suits and sportscoats can be bought very cheap on ebay so I don't see cost as a factor.

TxManx

Suits and sportscoats can be bought very cheap on ebay so I don't see cost as a factor.

The assumption being that the Brother has frequent access to a computer and internet, money for the jacket and the money for shipping...?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I could care less how my Brother dresses...provided he is attending, attentive, and doesn't spend the entire meeting texting, surfing the web on his phone, or chit-chatting with other Brothers about non-Masonic topics.

QUOTE]

Yeah I know some Brothers who dress to the hilt but play on their phone the whole time. Was kinda of annoying so last night we decided to throw him in the grease at floor school and make him confer the first part of the masters degree. Well I was never sure what he was doing on that phone but one thing he was doing was listening and learning his work. He was prompted maybe 3 or 4 times throughout the floor school which is better than some can do in real degrees. I am not a proponent for texting in Lodge but if you get your work done than I have no problem with it. To be fair as well he never texted at innapporaiate moments just in the really boring parts of Lodge usally introductions. :)