My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discovery Channel Programs

Mike Cameron

Is anyone else disturbed by these shows on tv about Freemasons? At first I shrugged it off but there are more and more new programs coming out. I watched one tonight that even claimed that it was " the first time that cameras were allowed in the lodge room" and proceeded to air an entire "ceremony". I will say that their information is a bit inaccurate to say the least. However, i am rather distressed that there are Brothers who are apparently blatantly disregarding our obligations. What do you all think?

cog41

Premium Member
Well, it's probably been addressed before, but I find alot of it entertaining. On one hand you have masons giving explanations of history and ceremony and on the other hand the history channel or who ever dramatizes and misinforms the casual viewer to the point of confusion and conspiracy.

As for brethren giving out the information? I like to think they're getting most of it from books(Duncan's Rituals etc..) and anti masonic groups.

The positive side is they're still talking about us in the present tense.

Txmason

Bro. Mike,

I agree with you! Plus I think the History Channel does what they do to garner interests in masonry the wrong way. What about the spokespersons that are seen on the History Channel? Do their Grand Lodges allow them to do that? Plus are all those "reenactments" done by real masons or actors? I think they should pull the shows and if someone really wants to know about masonry they should ask a real mason!

cemab4y

Premium Member
I have seen many of these shows, over the years. I must say, I like them. The information presented is usually presented fairly, and objectively. The shows present both Masons, and non-Masons, and people opposed to Freemasonry. They even present a woman "Mason" sometimes. I feel that the overall impact is positive, and people can get a reasonable glimpse of Freemasonry.
(I used to work in public TV)

Mac

Premium Member
I genuinely think the Fraternity would benefit from a few Grand Lodges throwing in for a professional production of an hour long video on the history of the Fraternity in America, highlighting its prevalence in the colonies and states, and what we have done across the country. Air the video during patriotic holidays and remind people that we are an ancient brotherhood that has played many different positive roles both at home and abroad.

Angler

I genuinely think the Fraternity would benefit from a few Grand Lodges throwing in for a professional production of an hour long video on the history of the Fraternity in America, highlighting its prevalence in the colonies and states, and what we have done across the country. Air the video during patriotic holidays and remind people that we are an ancient brotherhood that has played many different positive roles both at home and abroad.

This, along with details of the charitable operations of the different bodies.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
For the most part I enjoy them also. There have been some that reek of the conspiracy theory hyperbole but for the most part are failry enjoyable. Usually they do make an attempt to be fair. It is the ones where they show or say something that we all know is wrong but they have no one to correct them. Generally they at least try to use Brothers like S. Brent Morris and Chris Hodapp and that goes a long way to dispel many of the rumors of the crazies. I agree though if we could get some GLs to make their own video it would help inform the public just what we do and who we are. Of course as far as getting rid of the crazy consiracy theorists it wouldn't do much good.

choppersteve03

Premium Member
iam 50/50 on the tv shows, yah its good pubicity and i think the shows are entertaining. but some of the stuff is untrue, and it makes me feel bad that some brother might be in violation of his obligation,with some of the info thats presented.

MikeMay

Premium Member
I'm really rather neutral on these shows. It is publicity, that much is true, and the most of the ones I have seen seem positive. There are the few conspiracy laden ones just like there are anti-masonic websites.

As with anything, it is an opportunity to talk with a potential candidate that asks questions.

It is also an opportunity to do research to learn what is genuine and what is false.

K.S.

I think those programs are great. Keep in mind that it IS television and they have a long history of twisting the truth to make things more interesting for the viewer so they keep watching.
Those shows leave just enough truth in there to claim it is credible, while adding a heavy does of conspiracy to shroud the whole program is unsure mystery. In fact, it's so mysterious, it keeps people talking and looking to possibly join Masonry.
Even if they join and are a little disappointed that the mystery isn't quite there, (at least not to the degree that the television says it is), it's still worth a good laugh and a mason can always "place" the mystery into it for good fun (like I do).