My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confederation of French Grand Lodges Formed

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Recieved this from Michael Segall on Tuesday, this is somehwat of an update from the Basle Declaration:

A historical development occurred yesterday (18 December 2012) among the regularly operating, even if not yet widely recognized, French Grand Lodges. The following statement has been published (the text between brackets is mine):

“Today, the Grand Lodge of France (GLDF), the Traditional and symbolic Grand Lodge “Opera†(GLTSO), the French National Lodge (LNF, not to be confused with the GLNF), the Grand Lodge of the French Masonic Alliance (GL-AMF) and the Independent Grand Lodge of France (GLIF; constituted like the GL-AMF by the many thousands of Brethren who left the GLNF, totally out of the picture by now), have met together.â€

“Sharing the same criteria of regularity and the same Universal Masonic Tradition, they agreed among themselves to start the construction a Confederation, thus demonstrating their will to reorganize the French Masonic landscape in conformity with the Basle Declaration.â€

S&F,
-Bro Vick

widows son

Premium Member
I don't get the French. They can't just do thing the proper way. Even in Canada, for years Quebec had been trying to separate with the rest of Canada, but still want to use our currency, government structure and out postal system. WTF is that! All these different Masonic GLs claiming authority, but they all have none. So this declaration will unite these lodges into a recognized regular GL? I wonder what the grand orient de France has to say about all this.

scialytic

Premium Member
Being that the Grand Orient of France is a clandestine body...I don't really care what they think about it. If they stop initiating women and atheists, I may start to care. Frankly this confederation may be a positive thing for French Freemasons, but I'm not too plugged into the details. I may need to look into this confederation a little more to be knowledgeable about it.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Being that the Grand Orient of France is a clandestine body...I don't really care what they think about it. If they stop initiating women and atheists, I may start to care. Frankly this confederation may be a positive thing for French Freemasons, but I'm not too plugged into the details. I may need to look into this confederation a little more to be knowledgeable about it.

The Confederation is an attempt to heal the old wounds that the establishment of the GLNF caused regular French Freemasons who have long said that the establishment of the Grand Lodge by the UGLE was much more about business partnership than anything Masonic. Their inclusion of splinter groups is a hope to allow old wounds to heal while keeping their respective identities.

The downside is that confederates are fragile at best and can easily fall apart over a simple disagreement.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

BryanMaloney

Premium Member

The Grande Oriente doesn't seem to be involved in this.

scialytic

Premium Member
Nope, they definitely aren't. I was commenting on another comment. This looks like a positive thing for French Freemasonry.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Nope, they definitely aren't. I was commenting on another comment. This looks like a positive thing for French Freemasonry.

This was attempted in 2000 with the "United Grand Lodges of France", but was still born after much disagreement. Also the power of the GLNF was pretty much undeniable in regularity within the country. That has now changed and the GLs feel even more empowered given the Basle Declaration.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

scialytic

Premium Member
That has to be confusing as hell for the Brethren. I couldn't imagine having to figure out if this guy is a Brother. Get everything vetted through lawful info, just to find out that I can't even communicate with the guy. I must say that we have been blessed in North America with such stability in our Craft. I really hope this Grand Orient of USA doesn't take off...

widows son

Premium Member
How much credibility is there in the statement that so called regular freemasonry is more business than education in the craft?

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
How much credibility is there in the statement that so called regular freemasonry is more business than education in the craft?

A lot. How much time is spent in lodge discussing the payment of bills and fundraising as opposed to educational lectures?