My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clandestine Order

dconaway

Illuminati? Real, or a manifestation of conspiracy theories?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile

Elexir

Illuminati was a real order that existed in Europe. They did try to infiltrate freemasonry but failed.
But beyond that most of the information is false. They did not use the pyramid symbol, in fact the Illuminati only got connected with that symbol because of the Illuminatius! Trilogy wich has nothing to do with the real Illuminati but rather with the church of the subgenius.
The real Illuminati used the owl as a symbol due to its symbolism. The order was eventually destroyed by the ruler of Bavaria and he sent copies of the cypher they used to other rulers.
The goal of the order was to essentially accomplished without it during the enlightenment.

So as a historical order? It existed.
Like the conspiracy theories use it? No it's false.

(Note that this is a short version, there are some more details that could be discussed)

Winter

Premium Member

The Illuminati has been defunct for centuries. Anyone using the Illuminati in the modern sense as a real organization taking part in global schemes today should be soundly ignored as should any theory they put forward.

dconaway

There's a great series about it on Netflix.

Brother I would like to apologize to you for the other post. I did not wish to imply that my beliefs are superior. Only that if a Lodge deems it so then we should do our best to abide by those rules.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
There are some excellent resources on the Internet where you can get to the truth of things that are randomly linked to Freemasonry and one of the is the website of the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon here: https://freemasonry.bcy.ca/grandlodge.html This will start you off on the reality of the Illuminati: https://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/illuminati.html

I would also highly recommend getting yourself a copy of the book "Proofs of a Conspiracy" by John Robison, yes that's the book all the conspiracy nutters quote as their proof and which none of them have ever read. I bought and read it years ago and I learnt that while the Order of Perfectibilists (the actual name) was quite shocking in the late 1700s it actually espoused things that we take for granted today.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
On this and your AASR question, I would refer you to Freemasonry for Dummies and Idiots Guide to Freemasonry. both excellent books. I know both authors who are 33 and intelligent.