My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chaplain ???

ebojones

How is the Chaplain chaired in your lodge? I was just told that I was going to be put in that chair. Is this standard practice?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
On the left in front of the Worshipful Master in the east... paired with the Senior Deacon's chair over in the northeast.

It's an appointed position, outside the progressive line.
Yeah, I was just appointed Senior Deacon. Chaplin is a great post.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
While it likely to the left of the WM as indicated, a review of your GL ritual or book of ceremonies may provide a more authoritative answer

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In California, he (and the SD) sit facing the West, in front of the Sec and Treas respectively. In NM, they are in similar position but face each other looking N/S.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In Kentucky both the Senior Deacon and Chaplin sit in front of and below the WM, the SD to his right and Chaplin to his left.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
In Tennessee, the chaplain is an appointed position, and in many cases the same man will serve for several years. If you have an actual preacher in the spot, even better. He sits on the right hand of the WM.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Having seen you cross post this in another forum, I think you are asking how the chaplain (which I thank you for spelling correctly) is chosen. I

From your other post, I seemed to gather you disliked being "told" you would take the position. Is this because you think you feel the appointment is based upon being a pastor, or because you don't like being told what to do, or some other reason?

ebojones

I don't have a problem at all with authority, or being told anything. My post was based on finding out the proper way a chair is to be appointed. I would be honored to sit in this chair, and yes I am a Pastor of a humanitarian ministry. Another reason for asking this question is because things in my lodge tend to be done outside of the norm, and I personally don't want any part in that.

jwardl

I don't have a problem at all with authority, or being told anything. My post was based on finding out the proper way a chair is to be appointed. I would be honored to sit in this chair, and yes I am a Pastor of a humanitarian ministry. Another reason for asking this question is because things in my lodge tend to be done outside of the norm, and I personally don't want any part in that.
No worries. As others have mentioned, it is appointed by the WM -- so long as it's done by the new incoming WM. An existing WM cannot appoint you to fill a vacant chair, however. In such a case, you can be asked to pro temp -- but this is not an official appointment.

Bro. Staton

In North Carolina the Senior Deacon is on the right hand of the WM and the chaplain is on the left side of the WM. Typically the chaplain is appointed office but I would think you have the right to decline if you are not interested in the chair. However, it's a good appointed chair as well much in line with your civic duty.

ebojones

There is another minister in my lodge that has expressed an interest in that chair. I would be honored to be in that chair, but by the same token I don't want the other brother to have any ill feelings.

jwardl

That is your choice, brother, but it isn't uncommon for more than one man to aspire to a particular chair. It's the job of the incoming WM to appoint the available brother he feels is best suited for the job, however. Everyone involved can only hope that the brother(s) not chosen will successfully seek to be above feelings of ego or entitlement, and not take it personally. Besides -- there's always another year.

I've personally been in a similar position as you, and in a separate event, witnessed a good brother walk away from the lodge who was passed over for election. It was a sad event, indeed, but was his choice.

*If* you want the job and are available to perform it adequately, accept it. If not, just let the incoming WM know.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
....As others have mentioned, it is appointed by the WM -- so long as it's done by the new incoming WM. An existing WM cannot appoint you to fill a vacant chair, however. In such a case, you can be asked to pro temp -- but this is not an official appointment.

Not entirely clear what was meant, but a pro tem appointment is made by the WM if the officer doesn't appear that evening. Further, the WM may appoint a new officer to the position if the officer has been removed or resigned from the office in the jurisdictions of which I am aware. It is correct, in the jurisdictions of which I am aware, that the master-elect appoints for the year he reigns.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
the WM may appoint a new officer to the position if the officer has been removed or resigned from the office in the jurisdictions of which I am aware.
Not under GLoTX. Here, the only officers who may resign are the Secretary and Treasurer. Others may be removed for cause but, in either event, the WM may pro tem the office for the remainder of the Masonic year but may NOT appoint a new officer to the position.