My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afghanistan

Jamesb

What does it take to create a "traveling" lodge in another (be it War-torn) country? Or better yet on a military base etc...

cemab4y

Premium Member
Check out www.esmason.com fall 2005 Issue, page 32.

You can also read about our military lodge in Iraq, under www.cemab4y.blogspot.com

I will fill in some more details, later. The Grand Lodge of New York has a military lodge chartered (the charter has been inactive since December, 2005). The Grand Lodge of Ontario, Canada, has a military lodge chartered here at Kandahar, Afghanistan.

The Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, charters a military lodge, at Guantanamo, Naval Air Base, Cuba.

Last edited:

Jamesb

Would it take a resolution in GL to start one? How would that work? Just interested in the mechanics of doing something like that.

NickGarner

Premium Member
I have been giving this idea a lot of thought. I think that legality could easily enough be dealt with by a brother well versed in Masonic Jurisprudence. It is the formation of the lodge itself that would pose the problems.

You would have to have a separate lodge all set up and ready to go when the unit deploys. You would have to have all of the lodge officers and everyone already trained and proficient in all of the work. You have to have brothers who are able to coach, confer, etc. The odds of having enough brethren in a brigade who are that well versed in Texas masonic work would be slim.

There would have to be a lot of intensive preparation. Since the Prince Hall Lodges do this I would really like to know how they address these issues.

Charles, how did the lodge you guys have there in Afghanistan deal with this. I am interested on how the lodge was formed and who makes up the lodge.

I think that if someone could come up with a plan that would satisfy Texas requirements as far as ritual and work goes, that would be a big first step to forming Texas military lodges once again.

Jamesb

I can see how the logistics of it could become extremely complicated. Could one of the PHA brothers give us a hint on how their MWGL handles it?

cemab4y

Premium Member
You need to check out the story of Land, Sea, and Air Lodge #1 (UD) Grand Lodge of New York, F&AM. See - www.esmason.com Fall 2005 issue page 32.

The first operating lodges in the American colonies, were British military lodges. Military lodges, have operated on US Army bases, since before there was a US Army.

I am not an expert on Texas jurisprudence. I can speak only in general terms.

Many Grand Lodges, charter lodges, which are outside of their territorial jurisdiction. The Grand Lodge of Massachusetts charters a lodge in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The GL of Mass charters a lodge in Paris, France.

Military traveling lodges, are a different animal. The lodge charter, is not necessarily tied to one specific military unit. The United American-Canadian Grand Lodge of Germany, charters lodges in Saudi Arabia, for the USA and British oil workers, there.

The mechanics are indeed complicated. A Grand Lodge could issue a charter for Desert lodge #1, to operate in Afghanistan. The lodge can work with individuals from other jurisdictions. The first lodge operating in the territory of Hawaii, was chartered under a military warrant from France. Men from various USA lodges, worked with this lodge, and soon, there were other lodges operating in Hawaii. When statehood came (1959), the Grand Lodge of California was the operating authority for every lodge in Hawaii. Hawaii got their own Grand Lodge in 1989, thirty years after statehood.

The Grand Lodge of Nebraska attempted to set up a series of portable lodges in Iraq. The plan was to have a complete "lodge in a box", and ANY 15 masons from any jurisdiction could work together, and operate a lodge on a military base. The problem was , that several lodges in the USA announced that they would not accept degree work, from these portable lodges.

Here is how it could work:

A Grand Lodge issues a charter for a lodge to operate. It is NOT tied to any specific location, nor jurisdiction. It is NOT tied to any specific military unit.

The lodge must be willing to permit masons from other jurisdictions, to work with the lodge. Masons from other jurisdictions, could fill the officer's chairs, and confer degree work.

The Canadian lodge here at Kandahar, operates in a similar manner. There are not enough Canadian Masons here, to operate this lodge. Masons from England, Australia, and the USA all work together, to handle the administrative work, and to fill the officer's chairs. (The current WM is from Holland). We have to learn the Canadian ritual work, and we will confer the degrees, Canadian style. When the newly made Masons, rotate back to the USA (or Canada,etc), they will be able to transfer their membership to a lodge at their new location.

A lodge on a military location in a foreign country, cannot work, unless Masons from other jurisdictions work together.

Last edited:

NickGarner

Premium Member
Thanks for the post Charles. I am beginning to get an idea how this works. I would would like to hear more.

cemab4y

Premium Member
The Canadian lodge here, is unlike a "bricks and mortar" lodge. The charter is held by a regular, fixed lodge back in Ontario, Canada. The Ontario lodge, has given permission for Canadian Masons to operate a working lodge, sort of as a "sidecar" to the home lodge. The officers serve on a "temporary" basis, and it is like the Canadian lodge has signed over a "power of attorney" to the group here. There is no "charter" that reads "Canadian lodge #1". It is sort of a "virtual lodge", that has the full authority to confer degree work, and conduct all regular Masonic labor.

When a new man receives the degrees of Masonry, he receives a dues card from the Grand Lodge of Ontario, by authority of Trent Lodge in Canada. He is a Master Mason. The individual may then take out dual membership from the lodge in his home town, back in South Dakota, or Australia. We can even do "courtesy work" for individuals who have been approved for their degrees (back home), but have not yet completed the degrees.

I am going to learn the Canadian ritual, and serve on the degree team. I am delighted to be participating in this endeavour.

It makes me very sad, that the only lodges operating in Afghanistan, are Prince Hall and Canadian. It is about time for a USA Grand Lodge (other than Prince Hall) to take the initiative, in getting a lodge going here. The USA is going to remain here, most likely through 2014, and longer.

Bro. Bennett

Premium Member
Perhaps the GLoT could hire a retired Brother (would probably need to hold an "A" certificate) to relocate to Afghanistan and oversee the Military Lodge as an appendage of the GLoT. It would need resolution and yes, lots of encouragement from our members to get said resolution thru and working.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Here is how to do it simply:

The GL of Tex can authorize a "traveling Military Lodge". A fixed lodge in Texas will serve as "sponsor". The Grand Lodge finds a man already in Afghanistan to serve as coordinator. Send the charter to the man, and enough Masonic regalia, to equip the officers.

Every newly made Mason, will get a dues card from the "fixed" lodge, back in Texas. When the new Masons, rotate back to the USA, they can transfer membership to the lodge in their new city of residence.

This is how the GL of New York does it! They have displayed the Charter for Land, Sea, and Air Lodge #1, in a Masonic museum in New York City since December 2005. see www.esmason.com Fall 2005 issue page 32.

The GL of Ontario Canada, does it! They have issued a charter for "Canada Lodge #1 UD". A civilian Technician here in Kandahar has the charter, and the masonic regalia. New Masons are placed into "Trent Lodge" in Canada. When they rotate to the USA or Canada, they just transfer their membership.

ANY USA Grand Lodge, can charter a military traveling lodge, anytime they want to. Problem is, NO USA Grand Lodge wants to. (except Prince Hall). The last meeting of a USA lodge (other than PH), was held at Speicher Base, in Iraq, in November 2005.

The USA forces will be here in Afghanistan until about 2014, depending on the course of the war. There will probably never be a meeting of a USA lodge (other than PH) in Afghanistan.