My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do u wear ur masonic ring ?

zouzoum

I asked a brother and his answer was " to remember always that I am a mason " ...what about u ?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

JJones

I usually don't wear mine. Foremost because I don't like wearing jewelry very much but secondly is because I don't want any doors closed for me because of un/misinformed individuals.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I am proud to be a Mason and I like my accomplishments in Masonry enough that I chose to wear my PM ring rather than a Navy ring from my military service or a class ring from my degree. It's something other than total amount of effort as that would have me where a class ring. Being currently active at lodge but not being a Legion member or active in the Alumni society is not all there is to it.

I completed university as much for my parents as I did for me. I decided on my own to petition, but I also decided to enlist on my own. I am active in the Masons for very different reasons than why I enlisted, though both involve service to others plus self betterment.

It has something to do with the apron being more honorable than the star. I know the Order of the Star that's mentioned in the apron lecture was a chivalrous order but I've long taken it as a modern symbol for military service or other civil services like police and fire.

Taken that way Masonry is internal service to self mixed with a broader service to God through service to the entire world mixed with increasing the good. In contrast, to me the star represents the military fighting the outside, the police removing the human bad of criminals and the firemen removing the natural bad of runaway fires. They are in a sense reducing the bad (rather like the common gavel). One day I might still join the Legion, but I petitioned Lodge first. Why I wear my ring instead of other rings I've earned is related to how I see the apron being more honorable than the star. Both honorable, one more so.

If you see me at lodge feel free to ask me to present the topic as Masonic education.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I usually don't wear mine. Foremost because I don't like wearing jewelry very much but secondly is because I don't want any doors closed for me because of un/misinformed individuals.
I wear a ring that has the plum, trowel, Square and Compass on it however it is a comfort ring and the symbols are faint. I can spin the ring around and it looks like a plain ring at first site.

I wear mine to remind myself of my obligations. I also wear it as a reminder of the steps I took to become a Mason and that fear and anxiety can be overcome. It sounds like a crutch. Maybe it is but if it works, go with it!

I'm reminded of Spaceballs and the Schwartz Ring scene when Lonestar looses his ring. Sorry for the corny reference, brethren!

Last edited:

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
I agree with the Brothers above.....while on Patrol (17 year Houston PD Sergeant), I never wore the ring in the Field, because I didn't want to get the ring damaged.......Since my Spinal Fusion Surgery in August, I've recovered and returned to a Desk Sgt's position....Now that I'm working inside, I wear my ring and my Wedding Band EVERYDAY.....The Ring reminds me of the Work I put in to LEARN, the obligations I took in each Degree, and the Moral Lessons that are in the Work......I look down at my Ring, and it's also a CONSTANT reminder of the "due bounds" we must always strive to live in.......just my .02.......BRO. JONES

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
At present, I only wear mine when I'm dressing up to go out, or go to a Masonic function. It's an heirloom and I don't want to risk damaging it.
I don't have a "daily wear" ring, and rarely wear jewelry to work anyway. When I was building custom woodwork it was a hazard to the finish, and wrenching it's a hazard to paint, and my digits.

jrmorgan919

I wear my ring not only to show the world that I'm a member of this great fraternity but I also like to know that I reminds me of all I have done in Freemasonry and all I hope to do in the future. Plus I really am in awe every time I meet a fellow mason and even though we have never met before you'd think we were best friends just because of the emblems on our fingers

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App