My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you do with your phone during lodge meetings?

What do you do with your phone while in the lodge?

• Silence it.

Votes: 81 70.4%
  • Leave it in the car

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • nothing...no one calls me anyway.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • What's a cell phone?

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

MikeMay

Premium Member
Guys I leave mine on vibrate. I get a kick out of it! Hell, at my age I like it so much I've taken to calling myself three or four times a day. Haven't tried it in lodge though.

:blush:

HA!!:14:

...remind me to set my coffee cup down before reading your posts! That's the third time you got me!...now to wipe off the monitor!

jwardl

Bring up the dialer, hold down the pound key for a few secs. Silences most cell phones.

It IS bad form to leave the ringer on while in a properly tiled lodge. OTOH, in my lodge, ringers are often drowned out by passing trains honking, as a track runs directly behind the building.

Aggie Zach

I leave it in the car. Those that know me, know where I'm at on the 2nd Thursday of the month. Out of respect, I leave it be. Drives me nuts when the lodge is open and those things go off.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I've heard of different lodges putting fines on people if their phone goes off during lodge. I know of one lodge where it's $50 if your phone goes off during a meeting, $100 if during a degree.

Beathard

Premium Member
I would find another lodge to transfer to... Accidents happen. What's next $50 for missing a line in the work? $100 for farting?

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I would find another lodge to transfer to... Accidents happen. What's next $50 for missing a line in the work? $100 for farting?

I believe they remind everyone at the start of the meeting to switch to stun. But from my understanding they used to have a big problem with taking calls during lodge and degrees.

Beathard

Premium Member
Only time I have ever had a phone go off in lodge is when my keys accidentally turn it from vibrate to ring. Rang 1 time. To bad it was during a DDGM talk about decorum in the lodge. (I know this sounds bad, but after my panic, I found it just a little bit humorous since my ring tone at the time was a loud yawn.) keys and phone don't go in same pocket anymore.

Last edited:

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Sounds like you were just assisting the DDGM by illustrating his point for him. lol

I've actually heard of a former GM who before he became a GM used to teach decorum in the lodge by breaking it on purpose. I heard he would get up and walk between the altar and the WM at a preplanned time, then turn as ask the new brothers in the lodge what he jsut did. I understand that he was quite effective.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Might've prevented the need for a per-capita increase! :)

Especially on beans and cornbread night! And somewhere a Grand Trusty is reading this and has just figured out how the next Grand Communication will raise the money for the building reintovations. lol

MikeMay

Premium Member
Especially on beans and cornbread night! And somewhere a Grand Trusty is reading this and has just figured out how the next Grand Communication will raise the money for the building reintovations. lol

LOL! Then we'll know they are actually reading here... ;-)

tom268

It was indeed common practice in the 18th century lodges to take penalty fees for talking during the degree, forgetting ones regalia, coming too late or forgetting to apologize in advance for not coming and other things. The fees were quite harsh, what clearly shows, that decorum in lodge was not very high in those times.

Bigmel

Premium Member
Premium Member
I keep mine on silent. I bring it because like so many, I keep a copy of the Law book on it to search if need be, I keep my calendar on it. I do not answer. (text) while in meeting. If it is a emergency I Leave lodge to answer message.