My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wearing the S&C in Public

dfreybur

Premium Member
Here in Canada the haters come from all walks of life... and no one can convince then otherwise ... Where are we going wrong?

My take - When we pray for the mental healing of such folks, we tend to do so too privately. Stating in public "I will pray for your mental health and reformation" may have no impact on the few dedicated haters but it works well on others who are on the fence or who are there just to follow the crowd or random passersby.

There's a tradition of being silent in the face of critics. The problem is the principle of "Silence affirms assent". I have nothing to apologize for and I have no plans on refuting the assertions of the insane. But I do think it makes sense to be open about the fact that I do pray for the mental health and reformation of the insane. It also makes clear that I feel no need to refute the claims of the insane because I have no interest in the details of the symptoms of their insanity.

seansheedy

I used to be quiet about my membership in the Lodge; however i have come to realize that being quiet about it has done some damage to our organization. We have started to become more public. After all, the Masons are not a secret. The only secrets we have involve our rituals. We have recently hosted an open house and we invited our local newspaper to attend. It got us some excellent press and 3 new members. I proudly wear the square and compass and make no apologies for it to those who are ignorant of what we are.
Cheers

Freemason Connect Mobile

JonBoy

Premium Member
My brothers, I wear a pin as well as the S&C. It's an honor to wear the S&C ring. My great grandfather has been a mason for 69 years this September. I have his ring he bought a long time ago. I also have two other rings I bought on my own. My grandmother has the blue slipper on the back of her car. Needless to say still many of my family don't know that I am a mason.

Bro. Jonathan

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
I do not wear anything on my person anymore nor do I have any Masonic decals or tags on my vehicles .

When it gets above 55 degrees I wear nothing but shorts , t-shirts and flip flops when I am not in lodge and I feel silly/tacky wearing a fancy/expensive gold ring dressed like a bum . I do have a Gordon's stainless steel ring but I do not like it enough to wear it all the time .

The only time I wear my ring is when I am dressed up and/or when I go to lodge (to which I always dress up) . I do not wear any Masonic lapel pins nor any Masonic tie clasps .

My question to you is, Why? Are you not proud of our fraternaty? I gladly display my association with Freemasonry, everyday, by wearing my ring and having my emblems on my pick up. If someone has something to say, I do not deny who or what I am!

Ben A.

My question to you is, Why? Are you not proud of our fraternaty? I gladly display my association with Freemasonry, everyday, by wearing my ring and having my emblems on my pick up. If someone has something to say, I do not deny who or what I am!

Greetings Bro. Roy,

Many of us are proud of our Masonic journey but due to either the kind of work we do or the community we live in or both it may be best to not wear/display any rings or emblems. I know fellow brothers who are in law enforcement and they do not wear rings on the job. I know I'd hate to lose my ring in a fight with some dirt bag.

Fraternally,
Ben

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Perhaps you would think differently if someone in the upper management of your company stated "I wouldn't hire anyone that was a mason, and that they would fire anyone they knew were one" , after seeing masonic plates on a car in their parking lot!

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
Perhaps you would think differently if someone in the upper management of your company stated "I wouldn't hire anyone that was a mason, and that they would fire anyone they knew were one" , after seeing masonic plates on a car in their parking lot!

That may be a valid point, up to a point. There comes a time when bigotry should be put down, even if it costs a job. If there were a boss like that where I worked, I would first, try to find out why he did not like Masons, secondly, if there was no getting through to him about the truth of it (Masonry), I might be looking for a new job because I would not want to work somewhere that bigotted ideas were tolerated.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
That may be a valid point, up to a point. There comes a time when bigotry should be put down, even if it costs a job. If there were a boss like that where I worked, I would first, try to find out why he did not like Masons, secondly, if there was no getting through to him about the truth of it (Masonry), I might be looking for a new job because I would not want to work somewhere that bigotted ideas were tolerated.

When you've invested your whole career with an employer and the constant shuffle of upper management, extinguishing a career is hardly practical. But if one wants to dash a good job and a retirement, go for it! By the way he's a radical baptist, and there was no getting to the "truth"! As it turns out he's no longer employed there.
Which just goes to prove, "the only constant in this world, is change".

stuntman98

I rarely display, no reason other than: work a lot, gotta be professional and bit I do keep my dues card on hand and greet anybody who wear light......appropriatly no signs just a slight " handshake"

Freemason Connect Mobile

Roy_

I just heard the funniest story of a member of our lodge. He has a S&C sticker on the back of his car. One time he was driving on the highway with his daughter next to him. At some point a big, fat BMW drove up next to him and gave him the EA sign. Can you imagine the reaction of the daughter?

CloseYetFar

I cannot currently wear the S&C as I am only a FC at the moment. I will be raised a week from tomorrow and from that day on I will be wearing a ring.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I have a stainless-steel ring, that I wear when I am deployed to Afghanistan. And I have my grandfather's heirloom ring, that I wear on special occasions. In the USA, I wear a ring and/or a masonic belt buckle, almost every day. When I learned that New Jersey and Pennsylvania had official state-issued Masonic license plates, I got my state senator (Kentucky) to get the legislation passed to get Masonic license plates in Kentucky.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I have a pin on my hat all the time. Some notice, most don't...
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1417660298.094720.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Flatworlder

Ring - always
Texas Mason License Plates on truck
S&C Ball Cap - occasionally
Masonic T-Shirt - Occasonally
Masonic Jewelery - (pins, tie chains/clasps, watch) often

As a rule, I check for the ring whenever I meet someone or if they look familiar to me. When someone new comes into the office I check for a ring. It's become something of a habit.

FYI, since I put my Texas Mason license plates on my truck, I've collected almost 30 business cards from brothers who have left them under my wipers. I keep a supply in my truck for the same purpose.

BroBill
What a great way to get to know each other, the business cards definitely would make me want to visit neighbouring Lodges.. and keep the spirit alive.