My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tokens

robstown1062

When you meet someone for the first time is it customary to provide a token for acknowledgement? If so which one and do you use the same for a brother?

My Freemasonry

ssouthworth761

If you know that brother to be a MM then it would be okay. But if you are unsure I would meet on the first degree

Sent from my MB886 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
When you meet someone for the first time is it customary to provide a token for acknowledgement?

I don't do that unless I think the man is a brother. It's trivial to tell in a couple of minutes of conversation without using anything private. If I do know him to be a brother I tend to part on the first not greet on anything.

SeattleMason0613

I have only met a few outside of lodge and have never met on any degree. I would only consider it if I planned to talk masonicaly

My Freemasonry

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I don't do that unless I think the man is a brother. It's trivial to tell in a couple of minutes of conversation without using anything private. If I do know him to be a brother I tend to part on the first not greet on anything.
What leads you to the conclusion someone is a brother when talking to them? certain words or phrases? I'm not speaking of, "are you a traveling man?" kind of phrasing either. As to the topic, I shake hands normally with strangers I switch to a grip when receiving a token from a known brother. However I do not switch off to a grip from a stranger. I will simply ask them if they are a mason. I have yet to experience that though.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
What leads you to the conclusion someone is a brother when talking to them? certain words or phrases? I'm not speaking of, "are you a traveling man?" kind of phrasing either. As to the topic, I shake hands normally with strangers I switch to a grip when receiving a token from a known brother. However I do not switch off to a grip from a stranger. I will simply ask them if they are a mason. I have yet to experience that though.

Most of the time I figure someone is a brother because something comes up in conversation and the topic moves to lodge events. Or I see a ring or symbol on their car. Once in a great while someone uses vocabulary that appears almost nowhere but ritual and the topic turns to lodge events. Or as you mention someone notices my ring or license plate or I mention a lodge activity.

Someone giving my the grip out of the blue? It's happened a couple of times in two decades. A pleasant surprise but extremely rare in my experience.

Bro Darren

Premium Member
I was invited to supper last month after the Lodge had its meeting. During the evening events it came times to shake everyone's hands in a greeting. It was interesting to see each of the guys (brothers, but I'm not a brother yet) approach me, smile and give me a normal everyday handshake. I may not have been a brother, but it sure was nice to feel accepted and included in their greeting.

After the greetings I asked the WM who I was seated next to for the night "I understand that different degrees have different handshakes but how do you greet each brother in the lodge" - His reply was straight to the point - "We are ALL Brothers, from EA to MM and there is one thing that we all share in common, that is how we greet each other"

He didn't say anymore but i guess he didn't have too after reading the posts in this thread. Plus the fact that he could not share more than that with a non Mason.

BroBook

Premium Member

When that is the case you are the token "living sacrifice "

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App