My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new web face of The Grand Lodge of Texas

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
Can any brothers help me out with designing and me learning how to maintain a website for our lodge?

We have a template design through one and one and would love to find a place that is less expensive then them. We are paying about $80.00 a month. Any help is graciously appreciated.

Best,
Jerry

Freemason Connect Premium App

It sounds like you have a dedicated server? You might consider changing yours to a shared hosting package with 1and1. That should get you under $10 bucks per month.

Txmason

What's shared hosting? I don't know what we have. How do I find out?

MarkR

Premium Member
Can any brothers help me out with designing and me learning how to maintain a website for our lodge?

We have a template design through one and one and would love to find a place that is less expensive then them. We are paying about $80.00 a month. Any help is graciously appreciated.

Best,
Jerry

I'm paying a little over $100 a year through gate.com, and get lodge address email boxes for anybody who wants them in addition to the web hosting.

Kenneth Lottman

I use Wix.com for my web hosting and they offer very easy web design program as well! We are paying $13 a month and we are pleased with the service! The only thing is they don't offer email service but we just use gmail! Problem solved!

Cblack

webs.com is free up until a certain point but we have our own .org and we only pay $30.00 for two years...

Freemason Connect Mobile

rmorenc

Premium Member
@blakebowden

Why avoid godaddy? What would you suggest I do?

Freemason Connect Mobile

I second that re: Godaddy. When we had the IORG Grand Assembly of Texas site hosted on Godaddy (using Drupal 6.x at the time) it was extremely slow. Static pages worked extremely fast, so Godaddy support-when they got around to replying several days after a ticket submission- refused to acknowledge the slowness in running a dynamic site on their shared hosting plan. I switched over to Hostgator (a great Texas-based hosting provider) and haven't looked back. Their support is much more responsive, price seems cheaper, and our Drupal 7-based site runs like a charm.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Txmason

Bro Blake,

Whom do you recommend I go with to have our lodge website with? Are there any in the USA?

Freemason Connect Mobile

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
I don't like it. I have not been able to find one thing except "The New eFace of the Grand Lodge of Texas" and "Masonic License Plates" and a few posted events. When I go looking for a form or something, I can't find squat! I DON'T LIKE IT!

Roy Vance
San Angelo Lodge 570 JD
San Angelo, TX
Phil Head Lodge 1415 JW
Carlsbad, TX

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
In my opinion, the website isn't the issue, but lack of participation is. I find the Upcoming Events section quite informative, but as with anything, it takes participation from members to share their Lodge events.

That being said, I wish the website and the "Texas Mason" magazine would allow Brethren to submit articles. I find the magazine a complete waste of resources except a few messages and a way to order 2013 Grand Master regalia. Hardly inspiring. I've been told the magazine would be more than willing to print submitted material, yet when they are, nothing transpires.

Mac

Premium Member
Brother Linduff has posted (on here I think) that he edits the magazine and has solicited articles to almost no avail.

Have brothers submitted articles for publication? No better time than the present.

Freemason Connect Mobile

JJones

I created an account for the GL website and looked around a bit. I was going to be a good sport and add the stated meetings for my lodge on their calender but I can't find the option to add anything anywhere.

Has anyone had better luck than me? I'm pretty computer savvy but can't even find directions on how to do so.

Txmason

@Bro. JJones

Can you be of assistance in helping me design or start a better website for our lodge? We have a template website that is costing a lot of money and would like to have one that is nice, sleek and easy to manage. I could really use the help.

Best,
Jerry

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
I created an account for the GL website and looked around a bit. I was going to be a good sport and add the stated meetings for my lodge on their calender but I can't find the option to add anything anywhere.

Has anyone had better luck than me? I'm pretty computer savvy but can't even find directions on how to do so.

Bro. Jones,

When you login, look for a wrench icon in the top-left corner. Click that and you'll be set.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Last edited:

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
I don't like it. I have not been able to find one thing except "The New eFace of the Grand Lodge of Texas" and "Masonic License Plates" and a few posted events. When I go looking for a form or something, I can't find squat! I DON'T LIKE IT!

Roy Vance
San Angelo Lodge 570 JD
San Angelo, TX
Phil Head Lodge 1415 JW
Carlsbad, TX

Bro. Vance,

We're limited on what we're allowed to post. GL wants Lodge secretaries to handle forms. Forms were available at one time, but Brothers were filling them out incorrectly, submitting to GL, and causing confusion.

We're doing our best to make things better. It's a slow process.

If I can help you find something, let me know; I'll be happy to help. Forms however, have to be obtained from your Secretary.

Freemason Connect Mobile