My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the history channel have done a show on freemasons.

Should the history channel have done a show on freemasons.

• Total voters

JJones

No, it's a horrible idea. People seem to think that showing more and more to the public will make more people want to join us or something. Why would anyone want to join when they see everything? The bottom line is it's just cheapening to the fraternity and it does more harm than good.

Also, like Brother Tom mentioned, trying to convince people that we aren't evil is pretty pointless. People who have made up their minds wont be swayed by some TV special.

jwhoff

Premium Member
"trying to convince people that we aren't evil is pretty pointless. People who have made up their minds wont be swayed by some TV special."

Brother JJones, I heartedly agree with that statement. I would like to see more "people who have made up their minds" staying away from the fraternity. This is a brotherhood in quest, that's hard to follow when you've already got all the answers.

Mac

Premium Member
I must admit that such a TV show is what got interested in the Fraternity. Prior to that, I thought the Freemasons was just another Knights of Columbus, VFW, Lions, etc...

In other words, a bunch of old fuddy-duddies that I had no interest in joining until I had received my AARP card.

Full disclosure: watching From Hell, I saw the initiation scene and that really made me wonder what we were all about, so I started looking into it even more and eventually submitted my petition.

jwhoff

Premium Member

Very good idea! Wonder if I can sneak an AARP discount past the lodge once or twice.

Seriously, we only need more seekers of light in this brotherhood.

Thanks for the post Bro Mac. Thanks indeed.

jermy Bell

The sad thing is, that everyone loves those shriners, they have parades, even a circus that comes to town. They also have free hospitals for children. These are some up standing men. But I remind people all the time, that these men are also Mason's. Then that's when the deer in the headlights look kicks in. Sometimes is funny and other times just frustrating.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
iu

(almost made it ten years... almost... <sigh>)

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
There are documentaries about freemasonry, but they show no interna, no temples and such, just history and interviews. Ritual parts are added by the film makers, but without the support of masons, just with actors playing some stuff they got out of common accessable writings like Prichard or Duncans Ritual.

Such documentaries NEVER came out the way the brother wanted it.

Film makers want to sell a product, they don't do it because they like masonry. And selling a product means make it interesting, revealing, mysterious. We should not fish in such murky waters.
UGLE and GLScot both participated in documentaries showing the temple and parts of ritual.