My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Fremasonry BBC documentary

Scoops

Interesting, might have to set the Sky box to record. I hope they release it the international market. I know the BBC has clamped down on the iPlayer these days to check whether you're a UK resident.

Scoops

For the British Press that's a pretty reasonable article. Of course there's the obligatory mention of funny handshakes and rolled up trouser legs but, other than that, quite even handed.

For those of you who can't get it on the BBC, I understand that GLoS has made an arrangement with the production company to make DVDs available overseas. No idea how to acquire them yet, but they mentioned taking plenty to the Alberta Spring Workshop.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Will look for it but doubt if I can get it here.
For the British Press that's a pretty reasonable article. Of course there's the obligatory mention of funny handshakes and rolled up trouser legs but, other than that, quite even handed.
Yeah, they didn't mention how the Freemasons control the police and judiciary.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
BBC documentaries are always one sided, they are as bad as CNN. Never telling both sides of anything.
Always avoid saying always. :). Your experience with the BBC is different than mine. In any case, the DGM of Scotland disagrees with you.

I have an appointment when it first airs, but will give my views when I watch on IPlayer and you can post yours as well and we can compare.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I found the series sympathetic, with its declaration that Freemasonry was as Scottish as tartan and short bread. It gave the history from then Schaw Statutes, to Aitcheson’s Haven minutes, to Sir Robert Moray joining in 1641.

As as the DGM predicted Friday night at Supreme Grand Chapter, there was more disclosed than I found comfortable in terms of grips (repeatedly) and an expose of the second section of a US Third.

The show took on the public concerns: the rolled up trouser leg, the police, the archaic ritual. Responses were given to these issues by both Masons and scholastics who were not Masons.

The view of the US fraternity was condescending, describing it as done with “razz ma tazz” with an overlay of (un)suitable music.

I was saddened by the estimation by the academics that the fraternity had outlived its role, and lost its relevance in the 18th C.

Bloke

Premium Member
The headings were interesting

"Here are just some of the things we learned in the documentary, ‘The Secrets of the Masons’. ..
They take their history seriously...
Some of the most famous Scots ever have been members ..
They don't like conspiracy theories ..
It is largely social ..
They struggle with modernity ..

I'd say some good lessons were taught if they were the lessons.

Some brethren might not like "its largely social" but the smallest group of esoteric masons delving into our mysteries is a social group.

And, they struggle with modernity - is a great point and I am not sure we would articulate it like that, but its spot on..