My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential move to Dubai

Andrew Libby

My Brothers,

Fraternal Greetings from the Canadian east coast. I trust you're all safe and healthy.

It appears I will be moving to Dubai in 2023 and searching for a Lodge in Dubai, or the process of forming a Lodge in the area.

1. Are you aware of a Lodge in Dubai?

2. If there isn't one in Dubai or the UAE, any idea under who's jurisdiction it might fall if a new Lodge is formed? UGLE?

3. Any Brothers on this forum currently in Dubai and part of the commercial development industry? If there isn't a Lodge and if there's enough interest and support to form a Lodge, I would like to build a mixed-use commercial space with the Lodge being on the ground floor. Upon completion and the sale of units above the Lodge, i will transfer ownership to the Masonic Temple Board so there will be a steady revenue stream from the commercial tenants and no rent/leasing cost for the Lodge itself.

Fraternally,
VWB Andrew Libby

Winter

Premium Member
There are no Lodges in Dubai and you will likely find yourself arrested if you attempt to start one as Freemasonry is illegal in the UAE. I heard there was one PHA military Lodge there operating on the base some time back but I have no info on that.

Andrew Libby

There are no Lodges in Dubai and you will likely find yourself arrested if you attempt to start one as Freemasonry is illegal in the UAE. I heard there was one PHA military Lodge there operating on the base some time back but I have no info on that.
Thanks Brother! It would be a shame to move to a new country and not be able to continue my journey in Masonry, and not have the welcoming support of the fellowship and Brotherhood of local Masons.

If it's true it's illegal to form a Lodge, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the square and compasses or the Forget Me Not, adorned by my Brothers.

Winter

Premium Member
Thanks Brother! It would be a shame to move to a new country and not be able to continue my journey in Masonry, and not have the welcoming support of the fellowship and Brotherhood of local Masons.

If it's true it's illegal to form a Lodge, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the square and compasses or the Forget Me Not, adorned by my Brothers.
You likely won't find any S&Cs floating around there as all Regular Masons know the situation and know to keep their mouths shut about the Craft and not wear any outward signs. Maybe my info is old and they will welcome you with open arms there. But I doubt it. You would do well to remember that predominantly Muslim countries are very anti Freemasonry.

Andrew Libby

You likely won't find any S&Cs floating around there as all Regular Masons know the situation and know to keep their mouths shut about the Craft and not wear any outward signs. Maybe my info is old and they will welcome you with open arms there. But I doubt it. You would do well to remember that predominantly Muslim countries are very anti Freemasonry.
8439FFF2-9EF1-4727-985F-7EDC96F35CF1.jpeg

MarkR

Premium Member
If I were you, I'd do some checking on the situation with people you trust before you go there with that tattoo. Look at the warnings (read: threats) that Qatar is issuing to people coming for the World Cup. I'd hate to end up in a Dubai prison. Seriously.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
If I were you, I'd do some checking on the situation with people you trust before you go there with that tattoo. Look at the warnings (read: threats) that Qatar is issuing to people coming for the World Cup. I'd hate to end up in a Dubai prison. Seriously.
On the list of things I would hate, I should think this would be very close to the top.

Winter

Premium Member
Brother, your 1st degree obligation should have enlightened you enough to not get that tattoo. However, we all have to grow and learn in our own travels! SMIB
Masonic tattoos are fairly common where I'm from and nothing in our degrees prohibits or discourages them. Mine is above the bottom of my shirt sleeve but many Brothers get them in visible locations. Does your jurisdiction not allow them?

Bro. R. Mitchell

Masonic tattoos are fairly common where I'm from and nothing in our degrees prohibits or discourages them. Mine is above the bottom of my shirt sleeve but many Brothers get them in visible locations. Does your jurisdiction not allow them?
It depends on what ritual is being followed. Duncan's specifically states, "I will always hail, 2 ever conceal, and never reveal, any of the arts, parts, or points of the hidden mysteries of Ancient Free Masonry, which may have been, or hereafter shall be, at this time, or any future period, communicated to me, as such, to any person or persons whomsoever... I furthermore promise and swear that I will not print, paint, stamp, stain, cut, carve, mark, or engrave them, or cause the same to be done, on anything movable or immovable, capable of receiving the least impression of a word, syllable, letter, or character, whereby the same may become legible or intelligible to any person under the canopy of heaven, and the secrets of Masonry thereby unlawfully obtained through my unworthiness."
Now, I crave if that doesn't also cover tattoos. I was under the impression that it did.

Bro. R. Mitchell

It depends on what ritual is being followed. Duncan's specifically states, "I will always hail, 2 ever conceal, and never reveal, any of the arts, parts, or points of the hidden mysteries of Ancient Free Masonry, which may have been, or hereafter shall be, at this time, or any future period, communicated to me, as such, to any person or persons whomsoever... I furthermore promise and swear that I will not print, paint, stamp, stain, cut, carve, mark, or engrave them, or cause the same to be done, on anything movable or immovable, capable of receiving the least impression of a word, syllable, letter, or character, whereby the same may become legible or intelligible to any person under the canopy of heaven, and the secrets of Masonry thereby unlawfully obtained through my unworthiness."
Now, I crave if that doesn't also cover tattoos. I was under the impression that it did.
Maybe it's because the Square and Compass has been so openly displayed for ions, hence, the car emblems, hats, rings, etc..

Winter

Premium Member
That absolutely does not cover tattooing the Square and Compass in any way that could possibly be interpreted since the meaning and symbolism of the Square & Compasses is not a Masonic secret and is even very often printed in informative material for public consumption. So you will have to explain how tattoos would fall under that restriction since the meaning of the S&C is not communicated to initiates as a Masonic secret.

Bro. R. Mitchell

That absolutely does not cover tattooing the Square and Compass in any way that could possibly be interpreted since the meaning and symbolism of the Square & Compasses is not a Masonic secret and is even very often printed in informative material for public consumption. So you will have to explain how tattoos would fall under that restriction since the meaning of the S&C is not communicated to initiates as a Masonic secret.
Thanks for the information. Definitely about interpretation.

Bro. R. Mitchell

My interpretation. If brothers in my jurisdiction have them, they're not openly displaying them at any of our meetings/outings. Maybe, I just haven't paid attention. I'm really not trying to be the tattoo police. I have not seen anything in writing that prohibits them either.