My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Posting lectures and memorization

Hiram630

I am interested in knowing how many states and countries require the memorization of the posting lecture or some type of memorization to become proficient in a degree. If you could share the requirements and if it is AF-AM or F-AM.

In Iowa there is no longer any memorization and only an open book test for proficiency.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Just checking that by "posting lecture" you mean the entire question and answer sequence.

California memorized mandatory 1 + 2, optional 3 unless you reach a chair that is elected. Allowed to deliver in private. Called "proficiencies" taught by a "coach".

Illinios memorized mandatory 1 + 2, optional 3. Allowed to deliver in private. Called "catechisms" taught by a "poster".

Texas memorized 1 + 2 + 3 delivered in opened lodge.

Just for fun the Texas 1st is about the length of the California 3rd, and the California 1st is about the length of the Texas 3rd. Total size is close. So the first time I heard a Texas 1st proficiency I went "There's more?" and the first time I heard a Texas 3rd proficiency I went "It's over already?" Balance in all things.

I've heard of jurisdictions that allow the candidate to deliver an original paper. I've never yet seen that happen.

tantbrandon

Premium Member
South Carolina requires the memorization taught by a coach, which the candidate gives in open lodge no less than 28 days after they receive their degree.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Florida: memorize all chetachisms and get examined through memory no book in open lodge.
There is NO books to be open in a florida lodge when the great light is open.

No books open during degrees or at all. Totally memorization.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
The requirement to memorize and recite, or "turn in" a proficiency lecture of a series of questions and answers for each degree originated with the Grand Lodge of Louisiana in 1850. Since then, most jurisdictions have adopted this means of insuring a new Brother has at least a fair idea of what the degree is all about. Some (very) few states have dispensed with it, but the norm is that the lecture must be learned and turned in. In addition to Iowa, I understand that Missouri may have dispensed with the lectures, (though I believe Brother Truman may be rolling in his grave over that ;-) )

Arkansas requires that the EA and FC lectures be memorized and turned in prior to the candidate being advanced to the following degree. This may be done in open lodge, or in committee, with the committee subsequently reporting either "favorable" or "unfavorable" to the lodge. Per the Digest of Laws, the proficiency should be turned in within six months or the candidate must request and extension from the lodge, but this rule is currently not enforced. The Master's lecture must also be memorized and turned in, but there is no enforced time limit for this, other than that the lecture must be turned in before the member can serve as one of the principal officers of a lodge.

Arkansas is one of the jurisdictions where the lectures are learned mouth-to-ear, the only parts proper to be written being the paragraphs on the working tools.

crono782

Premium Member
Florida: memorize all chetachisms and get examined through memory no book in open lodge.
There is NO books to be open in a florida lodge when the great light is open.

No books open during degrees or at all. Totally memorization.
Same in TX. Also, as I understand it, TX has some of the longest catechisms out there. Pretty brutal on some new EAs. ;)

otherstar

Never counted them but I've been told that Florida has 46 Q&A for a total of 1808 words in the EA catechism.

I don't know the word count, but the EA catechism in Texas is in the neighborhood of 74 Q&A in three sections.

Jraiford

In Texas, the three parts can be turned in at once or seperately. I turned all three sections in at once and was only told afterward that i could have broken them up. However , i was relieved it was over!

Txmason32

In Texas did they use to only require the obligation ? I am talking back before 1930 . Is there any proof that they added all the other to stop influx of canidates during depression ?

Jraiford

That is a good question. One tha i dont have the answer to. I can only speak of what i had to do. Huge sigh after i finished. My saving grace was there were just enough to open the lodge, so i didnt have huge amount of pressure on me. I made a few mistakes, but after learning the whole EA Q&A in a little over a month and a half i think a couple of mistakes were ok. I just kept rolling

Txmason32

Yes I have figured out the last 85 or so years it seems to be the work we turn in today . What I am curious about is before that