My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

perpetual membership

dhouseholder

I was under the impression that endowed memberships were a bad thing for the lodge, since the amount the lodge gets back every year is less that it'd receive if the member simply paid his dues and we haven't always even seen returns in the past. I'm just going off my experience from here in Texas though.

I would say that in the short (immediate) term, it is bad for lodges, especially considering the current "economic downturn" this country has faced. However, in the long term, it is actually quite fantastic and should keep some lodges afloat well into the future, especially given the declining memberships.

Example: We just had an endowed brother pass away (R.I.P), and obviously, we will no longer be receiving dues from him; but his endowment will continue to pay dividends in perpetuity.

Last edited:

daddyrich

Bro Bill, that was s thorough answer, many thanks. I'm saving to purchase mine here in Southern California. It seems a smart play and does seem to help the Lodge out, I also contribute in any other ways that I can throughout the year, many Blue Lodges are hurting financially still. I DID get a kick out of youu stating, "Ultimately each MM must make his or her own decision, but should take into account the good of the lodge." His or HER own decision, indeed. ;)

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Typo corrected... Not sure how the "or her" crept in.... I am an airhead... Now I know how many read my posts! ;)

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Bro Bill, that was s thorough answer, many thanks. I'm saving to purchase mine here in Southern California. It seems a smart play and does seem to help the Lodge out, I also contribute in any other ways that I can throughout the year, many Blue Lodges are hurting financially still. I DID get a kick out of youu stating, "Ultimately each MM must make his or her own decision, but should take into account the good of the lodge." His or HER own decision, indeed. ;)

Now that I'm back on my desk top, I'd like to nominate myself for Masons of Texas "Blooper of the Year". Many thanks to daddyrich for catching my lapse into an alternate world.. again.... thanks again for the catch!

-BroBill sends

daddyrich

I knew it was a slip, trust me. But it made me grin this morning, thanks for that. I was thinking,"damn, Texas lodges are really taking this 'progressive' thing too far. ;)

Winter

Premium Member
Brother, does a perpetual membership in one State cover dues forever in all States in the USA?
You realize this thread is 11 (ELEVEN) years old, right? lol Not quite a record on reviving a dead thread but it's up there!

But to answer your question, no. If you are a Brother, as your username suggests, I would think that you know that every state in the US is a separate and autonomous Grand Lodge and the dues you pay in one Grand Lodge do not transfer to another. And if you petition another jurisdiction for affiliation you owe dues in both. Either annual or perpetual.