My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Past Masters

3Banks Copperati

I’m smiling at the wrong tie posts.
As W/m of my lodge I recently wore my apron under my jacket and was pulled up by both the Tyler and a senior doyen of the Lodge. I was told it was incorrect unless I was Scottish rights. I informed them I was MND rights ( Lou Gehrig to our stateside brothers). Funny enough I was allowed to continue with my new style.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I’m smiling at the wrong tie posts.
As W/m of my lodge I recently wore my apron under my jacket and was pulled up by both the Tyler and a senior doyen of the Lodge. I was told it was incorrect unless I was Scottish rights. I informed them I was MND rights ( Lou Gehrig to our stateside brothers). Funny enough I was allowed to continue with my new style.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile

This happens here more times than not. I have also seen this happen.

At least within my own jurisdiction aprons are worn over the coat or suit jacket. The exception would be a tuxedo coat & tails, due only to shortened length of the front.

Keith C

This happens here more times than not. I have also seen this happen.

At least within my own jurisdiction aprons are worn over the coat or suit jacket. The exception would be a tuxedo coat & tails, due only to shortened length of the front.

Same here, but if you are an Officer you are supposed to wear tails.

rpbrown

Premium Member
My first go round as WM, I was actually the Worshipful Steward because our stewards started night school and couldn't be at lodge. We all know how Masons get when they are hungry. Our lodge has a tradition that the immediate PM moves to the Marshall's office to assist the incoming Master so thats where I went. Then the following year I was coerced into moving to the SW office since our SW moved out of town. Then, this year, I planned to sit and watch and before I knew it I was elected to be WM again. Still not sure how that happened:cool: and I have yet to wear my PM apron:(

CLewey44

My first go round as WM, I was actually the Worshipful Steward because our stewards started night school and couldn't be at lodge. We all know how Masons get when they are hungry. Our lodge has a tradition that the immediate PM moves to the Marshall's office to assist the incoming Master so thats where I went. Then the following year I was coerced into moving to the SW office since our SW moved out of town. Then, this year, I planned to sit and watch and before I knew it I was elected to be WM again. Still not sure how that happened:cool: and I have yet to wear my PM apron:(
Lololol, that's pretty good. W. JS....

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Attend those special classes that teach you how to correctly shake your head and mutter 'we did it better in my day' during degree work.
And let's not forget that becoming a Past Master gives you a life time right to boss around all non-PMs.......or at least many PMs believe this, lol.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Lol....I know the feeling. I am in the East presently for the first time and will leave the East in December. However, I will be installed as a District Deputy Grand Master next month. It will be awhile before I finally get to wear a PM apron.

Congratulations Warrior!!! As a 3 time PM I sit wherever I want, but normally fill in somewhere. Unfortunately around here there is a lot of PM's disease. Once they leave the East, they become invisible.

Bloke

Premium Member
Thank you Brother Matt!

I believe that most lodges suffer from that affliction to one degree or another.
Just like training new MMs they need to come to lodge, but has become evident we need to do the same with PMs but especially the IPM. They needs to understand how important they are - and that they are needed, they need to find a new niche in the lodge and organising socials and fundraising can often be a good one... or getting them involved in some other management aspect such as the building in which you meet. Everyone needs a job and to feel valued and we often fail in that. Becoming a PM needs to be seen as a the start of of something new rather than the completion of the going through the chairs.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Just like training new MMs they need to come to lodge, but has become evident we need to do the same with PMs but especially the IPM. They needs to understand how important they are - and that they are needed, they need to find a new niche in the lodge and organising socials and fundraising can often be a good one... or getting them involved in some other management aspect such as the building in which you meet. Everyone needs a job and to feel valued and we often fail in that. Becoming a PM needs to be seen as a the start of of something new rather than the completion of the going through the chairs.

Spot on Brother Bloke!!!

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I'll be a "pm" the moment my butt hits the big chair at my installation according to the language in New Jersey's Constitution.

However, after my year is up, I may travel here and theretand take time off from authority. I have a 6 YO son and a wife to tend to.

Canadian Paul

In a Scottish Lodge you become an 'Installed Master' the minute you take your Obligation in a Board of Installed Masters. You become a 'Past Master' when you leave the Chair. While in the Chair you are usually referred to as being a 'Reigning Master'.

Winter

Premium Member
It is similar in the GL of Wisconsin where you become a Past Master as soon as you are installed in the East.

[Edited because I am not. Pasty Master]

Last edited:

rpbrown

Premium Member
Well as my 2nd go round in the east is soon coming to a close, our lodge has decided to merge with another lodge. Both were short on active members as well as officers that are not PM's. This will give us a stronger base and for the first time in a long time, I think there are only 2 PM's in an officers chair. I will finally get to wear my PM apron, sit on the sideline and stir the pot :D