My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory work

blacksmith83

Brothers, i was wondering if you could give abit insight for me. I'm working on the memory work to be raised to f.c. How important is it to get the lines word for word perfect? Obviously i want to nail it 100%, but in the chance i stumble on words and forget something; will it be counted against me? The only reason i ask here instead of a fellow lodge member is because i dont want to be seen as a guy trying to squeeze by on the least effort. I'm sure fellow lodge members wouldn't hesitate to answer, but im cautious like that lol

Much thanks,
Lee

crono782

Premium Member
They aren't going to vote you down if you miss a few words or need a prompt or two or three. Of course you should strive for perfection, but if you're not 100%, you won't be "failed". Also a correction if I may: the term for FC is being "passed". Raised is in regards to MM. You will understand why when you get there.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
They aren't going to vote you down if you miss a few words or need a prompt or two or three. Of course you should strive for perfection, but if you're not 100%, you won't be "failed". Also a correction if I may: the term for FC is being "passed". Raised is in regards to MM. You will understand why when you get there.
I agree with crono i was prompted a bit during my EA exam. We have all done it and no one is perfect. Just relax and take it slow. I do horrible in front of people. You will do it and everything will be fine.

phulseapple

Premium Member
Here in NY anyway, you must make suitable proficiency. As long as you show that you understand the concepts, you will be fine. Word for word rote memorization will come with practice and attending more degrees.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Practice upstairs with your coach when you can to have visual queues. It will help with recall.

Come up with a signal so that your coach will know when you need a word without standing there in an awkward silence.

Every Brother you sit in Lodge with did exactly what you are doing. Had the same concerns you are having and was probably just as afraid to ask questions.

Do not worry yourself to death. Yes it is an examination however it is not a "You vs. The Entire Lodge." They want to see you succeed. If they wanted to see you fail then they don't know what Freemasonry is about.

Bro. Staton

When you do yours find a spot to look at one the wall and focus in on that spot while your doing your memory work. This will help you overcome some of your fear and allow you to not become distracted. If you stumble on something quickly correct what is wrong and continue forward. If you feel that you can do a much better job after you are done simply request to do it over just so it's clear to everyone you know it and feel comfortable repeating it. I did mines in that manner during my EA simply because I was not happy with the way I said it so I requested to say it over and actually nailed it the 2nd time and that shows the craft you know it and was simply nervous the 1st time. However, you will do well and as the others have said missing a word or so will not hurt you.

rpbrown

Premium Member
Although you should strive to be perfect, suitable is in the eyes of the brethren that are attending that night. I would say don't worry about it. Prompting will always be a part of this ritual

cemab4y

Premium Member
No one expects you to be a human tape recorder. The important task, is that you understand the material. Some men "freeze" in front of the group, and need some help. Please relax, and focus on the material, and try to forget about the group watching.