My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Charges from other Jurisdictions

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Could Masonic Charges be filed against a Brother from another Jurisdiction? Local ones are tough enough, I couldn't imagine dealing with that across state lines.

owls84

Premium Member
I don't know this for sure but you are to obey the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. If you break those laws then, yes. I will get back to you on actual area this is in. It would be probably more complicated but yes I could see it happening.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I couldn't find anything in the law book covering this but I would expect that it could be done if the offense was serious enough. I'd expect that the charges would be filed with our Grand Secretary,, who would forward them to the Grand Secretary of the jurisdiction the defendant Brother belonged to, to be dealt with according to their laws.

Sirius

Interesting question. Just behave when in another grand jurisdiction and you wont have to worry about it.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
what is interesting is that one grand lodge may allow it while another doesn't.

i would think that this would make it impossible to enumerate either way regarding this issue.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I would think that the desire to file charges on a traveling brother would have to be pretty strong to pursue this. The offense would have to be substantial or the person who desires to file should reexamine the internal qualification of himself. In the case of an offense of the magnitude deserving this I would assume both Grand Lodges would probably support it. Also if a person is a MM who is traveling they are under their requirements. I can see some wiggle room here but as I said before if the offense was of a magnitude deserving this then the brother should know better.

Last edited:

owls84

Premium Member
I would think that the desire to file charges on a traveling brother would have to be pretty strong to pursue this. The offense would have to be substantial or the person who desires to file should reexamine the internal qualification of himself. In the case of an offense of the magnitude deserving this I would assume both Grand Lodges would probably support it. Also if a person is a MM who is traveling they are under their requirements. I can see some wiggle room here but as I said before if the offense was of a magnitude deserving this then the brother should know better.

What if this Brother now lives in this Jurisdiction but does not or can not affiliate with this Jurisdiction? Keep in mind some Jurisdictions will not allow you to Dual or Plural another Jurisdiction. He would still be subject to our Masonic Laws though being in our Jurisdiction. I wonder how would he be tried. Would it be by this Grand Lodge or by his "home" Grand Lodge? Does anyone know any means to find this answer?

Note: I don't think these "charges" threads are all based on actual events but more or less "What if" scenarios.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
i believe it is sort of like corresponding with another lodge outside your state jusirdiction, you should go through your GL and they through that GL and down to the Lodge of that particular state you need to contact. The same with a brother from another jurisdiction, you would have to contact your GL and then they contact the GL that he is a member of and they would act on that charge and then correspond back to the state where the brother lives or is staying. I remember something like this years ago and believe that was done, but all things change.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
if he is a member of say washington state and now lives in texas but retains his membership only with the state of washington, I believe he is still under the control of the state of washington GL consitutions and would be subject to that GL rulings. Again if someone from Texas complains to the GL of Texas than Texas would have to look into it and correspond with the state of Washington, yes long procedure.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
Without going into details, If you are charged in Kentucky it will follow you to Tennessee.