My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a motorcycle mechanic

Vikti

Is there a brother out there who can answer some questions regarding my 1983 Honda Nighthawk that isn't covered by any tech manual?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I'm not a professional mechanic but I've managed to keep mine (2001) running. What are your questions?

Vikti

Sorry for the delay, been busy at work.

My problem is that it starts just fine when the engine is cold, but one the engine gets up to normal operating temperature and I have to shut it off then it won't start back up until the engine cools off. I rebuilt the starter last month but this problem was slowly starting up before the rebuild.

Any ideas? My wife wants me back on my bike soon because I'm getting a little grouchy

Vikti

I'll look into that but I would say not likely because the bike has never run better and I would notice a loss in compression. I'll be talking to my mechanic tomorrow and let him make that decision.

jvarnell

Premium Member
do a compression test dry then wet when it is hot and cold. check to makesure have spark when hot. it can be many things.

Vikti

Mechanics says compression isn't the problem because when hot the engine doesn't want to turn over even one whole revolution. He said that it either the starter, starter clutch our one or two other things deep inside the engine, all of which costs money that I don't have at the moment.

When I get problems, I really get them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

jvarnell

Premium Member
Mechanics says compression isn't the problem because when hot the engine doesn't want to turn over even one whole revolution. He said that it either the starter, starter clutch our one or two other things deep inside the engine, all of which costs money that I don't have at the moment.

When I get problems, I really get them
Sent from my Nexus 7 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app
Ho so it won't turn over when it is hot something is binding. Try pulling the plugs and push the bike when it is in first gear cold and when hot it should take the same force when cold and hot if it is starter cluch or starter and if it is harder to push when it is hot then it is bearings or timming chain group of stuff. How many miles are on it? I had a KZ750 that had a bad starter cluch and it was a thrust bearing on the end of the shaft.

jvarnell

Premium Member
Also check for filings in the oil. Drain the oil and poor it through a clean coffie filter. On a car I would us a magnet but there are aluminim and babit parts that could bind in that bike.