My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

knockers

Colby K

Premium Member
When we have new knockers show up at our lodge, we sit with them in the fellowship before we open the lodge and we ask them why they want to be a mason. More often than not their answer is "for the brotherhood," or something along those lines. Don't get me wrong, this is a good reason, I am just looking for something else. I wouldn't mind dropping the line "make good men better" in their reasons. I enjoy the brotherhood of the fraternity, but I also try very hard to utilize all the tools given to me to make myself a better man. Before I first went to the lodge I researched what freemasonry was all about and the big attraction to me was the line "make good men better," I'd like to see more knockers that share that view with me. What do you look for when talking to a new knocker?

LukeD

Sometimes it takes a visit to a lodge to really influence their decision. During my first visit, one brother in particular took me around the entire lodge explaining what he could, then skipped the business meeting to answer all my questions and talk to me about why I wanted to join. We were both interviewing each other, but I knew from that moment I really wanted to be a part of Freemasonry. One of the main reasons I cringe at hearing is "I want to get a better job", or "just to network". Nothing wrong with networking, but it should be on the back burner as far as intentions go. Looking back,I think he wanted to skip the business meeting.

Colby K

Premium Member
I haven't heard the "I want a better job" or "just to network" yet but I'm still very fresh. The worst I heard was a guy that was knocking with his friend. he told us he didn't know why he wanted to be a mason but he would do it because his friend would drag him to all of the meetings.

cjapgar

Premium Member
I look for the same reasoning from those who approach our portals. When I first petitioned and visited my lodge I was asked the very same question. I told the Brothers that I wanted to better myself as a man, husband, father, and United States Marine. Self improvement was my motive for knocking. My first visit was an experience that I'll never forget. It's right up there with my three degrees. My wife and I were taken in and given a tour of the Lodge building and all of our questions were answered. I felt very welcome from the moment we walked in. I have "interviewed" knockers and have heard many different things. One thing I look for in particular is their answer to the question "No matter how things are going in your life, whether it be extremely well or really bad, in whom do you put your trust?".

HeyMoe

As a FC I have not yet been involved in the "interview" process for anyone but myself. When asked why I wanted to be a mason my answer was that I wanted to help the community and in particular, I wanted to be a Shriner to help children. I just want to give back to my community and help others that need help and working with a group of guys that have the same ideology was important to me.

Now as a FC I see that masonry is so much more which is just icing on the cake.

Colby K

Premium Member
As a FC I have not yet been involved in the "interview" process for anyone but myself. When asked why I wanted to be a mason my answer was that I wanted to help the community and in particular, I wanted to be a Shriner to help children. I just want to give back to my community and help others that need help and working with a group of guys that have the same ideology was important to me.

Now as a FC I see that masonry is so much more which is just icing on the cake.

I like that answer. But you are right, there is so much more to masonry. I did a fair amount of research before knocking, (I purposely didn't look at anything that claimed to reveal secrets because I didn't want to spoil anything) and I thought I had a good idea what I was getting into. It was everything I'd expected and so much more. Enjoy your journey!!

HeyMoe

I thought I had a good idea what I was getting into.

I "thought" I knew also. My thoughts quickly changed when I recited my obligation the first time and when hearing the apron charge - I went from "ok this is cool" to "holy crap, am I worthy of this honor?!?!?!".

Colby K

Premium Member
Bro. Chris, I had the same feeling and honestly still do. I just do my best to make sure I use the tools and try to make myself worthy of the honor. By doing so I made changes that many people have noticed. Getting my apron was like getting the keys to my first car, it made a whole new world available to me.