My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Investigation question

crono782

Premium Member
I got ya. These are just our opinions (and we're certainly an opinionated bunch, hah). Like I said, it is a most thought provoking question to us, but I can't see the benefit of it to a candidate. Though again your IC may.

My Freemasonry

Plustax

Not meant to insult you brother and if it was received that way, I apologize. I just gave my opinion and that's all it is.. nothing more.. nothing less. As I always say "It's GREAT to be MASON".

I was not on the investigation committee simply asked to step in and ask a question and that's what I asked. No one in my lodge who heard it had no objections.

My Freemasonry

SeattleMason0613

No harm done! And I was not referring to your post as insulting someone else's. I couldn't agree more it's a good thing we are all very well opinionated keeps us from being boring. However the more I think about it I could have worded it a little different or used another question similar in nature and not masonic related to figure out his moral outlook on the position but the question has already been asked so what's done is done!

It is good to be a mason!

My Freemasonry

dfreybur

Premium Member
What questions do you ask?

Why they decided to become a Mason. If they understand the time requirements. If the wife understands the time requirements and is on board. A reiteration of the questions on the form with any explanations on what they mean in the very broadest sense. Generally the sequence outlined in one of the booklets I've read about being an investigator.

I also call the recommenders and chat with them about the candidate. Is he level headed and honest. Has the candidate told the recommender there are no invitations to Masonry (some states allow non-Masons as character witnesses in addition to the member lines).

caution22113

I was raised in June, and have not been on an IC yet. But I have been asked by several men "How do I become a Mason?" My reply is always, "Why do you want to be a Masom?"

I believe that is the most important question. Although it is a simple question, most cannot answer it.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I was raised in June, and have not been on an IC yet. But I have been asked by several men "How do I become a Mason?" My reply is always, "Why do you want to be a Masom?"

I believe that is the most important question. Although it is a simple question, most cannot answer it.

My answer is - You have to ask someone you believe to be a Mason who to become one. In general there are no invitations. You just took the first step. I can go get you a petition for membership if you like. Want to download one on line and print it out?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It's a very fair question you don't need to know anything about freemasonry to really answer this question. It's simple do you save the lodge by initiating unfit people or do you let it die and not. I would let the lodge die. I don't feel that any one lodge is worth poisoning the good of masonry. It shows what the person cares most about if they can't answer it right off the bat.

My Freemasonry
Agreed!