My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In need of light!

Mike Cameron

I spoke to the Brother who taught me my EA work today on the phone. I was saddened to hear that he is suffering from apparent alchoholism and has been for quite some time. He has not been to lodge in a couple of years. His marital an employment situations have suffered as well. He told me he needed to get back in the lodge and receive more light in order to get centered again. He will go to the lodge with me next week. What are your thoughts please.

JJones

One of the first thing Masonry teaches us is to rid ourselves of our vices and superfluities (I think I spelled that right!) and alcohol is definitely a huge vice if one is unable to moderate himself.

My advise is that he may need to start back at the basics and learn to subdue his passion for excessive drinking. That'd be the first step towards receiving more light in my humble opinion.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I didn't have this brother's shoes on. Not sure which problem came first.

But I once went through a lost marriage and good job at the same time.

I can tell you, however, those shoes of mine were very hard to wear.

And, I got a pretty good idea what our duty as brother masons is during this trying time.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Might consider gettin a gym membership and springin for him one too, if you have the means and he is at all of able body. Gives you an excuse to get together with him on a regular schedule where he has a very strong incentive to be sober. Gives him something to see progress at. Gets you both in shape, with is great for self esteem.

Just one idea bro. Good on you for taking him under your wing, as he once did you.

Mike Cameron

First of all I want to extend my gratitude to the Brothers who have replied to this topic as well as those who will.

JJones: I agree completely with your comments however, as we all know some times life throws a wrench in the works. Sometimes we fall and I as a fairly new Mason (raised in 2010), the light I am currently looking for is in regards to how I can best fly to the aid of a distressed brother.

Brother Hatley: That last line actually choked me up a little. That is my attitude exactly. This man helped me change my life by teaching me my EA work. He helped me come from darkness to light. I was his first and only student and I will be recieved into the Commandry in August. I am obligated to aid all my brotheren but you can imagine the sentimental tie that binds here as well. Thank you.

Star Mztyk

Bro. Cameron...

I see your hand on his back as you are supporting him in those efforts of reforming his actions. This means spending time together....Here is a thought. Refresh with each other on the EA work....and share those wonderful times again... he (as well as You) need those memories....even if you dont need the memory work.

Mike Cameron

Bro. Cameron...

I see your hand on his back as you are supporting him in those efforts of reforming his actions. This means spending time together....Here is a thought. Refresh with each other on the EA work....and share those wonderful times again... he (as well as You) need those memories....even if you dont need the memory work.

That is a great idea!!!

jwhoff

Premium Member
You'll find the key brother. And, might I say, your light is beaming at this moment.

God bless

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
The fact that you have taken him under your guidance says a lot about your character Brother. You are doing a great thing. You stepping up to help him in this trying time may be the key for him breaking the cycle. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Mike Cameron

The fact that you have taken him under your guidance says a lot about your character Brother. You are doing a great thing. You stepping up to help him in this trying time may be the key for him breaking the cycle. I will keep you both in my prayers.
Thank you very much Brother

Kenneth Lottman

Bro. Mike you are a prime example of what masonry is all about and you are living up to that obligation that you took and I commend you on that! I will keep both of you guys in my prayers!

My suggestion is that you get out and visit lodges in your area and meet some other brothers that you may have never met before.

And I'm with bro. Jones if your lodge has practice nights (if not find one close that does) get your butt to them if possible go over the Q&A's the forms and ceremonies. That might be all he needs to help him on that road to recovery!

If there is anything I can help you with PM me and I will do all I can to help you out!

K.S.

And that's what masonry is, being there for a brother, in darkness as well as in the light. Good for you brother, I hope your friend overcomes his burden with your assistance.

Mike Cameron

UPDATE: I am saddened to report that after several attempts, I have been unsuccessful at contacting the brother referred to in this thread. I have called and text several times but have not been able to contact him to visit a lodge with me. I suppose I should have the same attitude that I was shown when I was being taught my work. That being, if the brother wants to learn or to be helped, he will take the initiative to contact me. It was understood that if I wanted to learn my work, I had to make the effort to contact him, make myself avaliable, etc. I believe that I have rendered aid as far as my ability would allow. I hope in the future that he will come around. Thank you all for your kind words and direction and please keep our Brother in your thoughts.