My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HTWSSTKS

GKA

Premium Member
I have been researching this sequence of eight letters and cannot find any information beyond that which is common knowledge ( I know the meaning )
Here is what I have found so far;
Thomas Smith Webb (1771-1819) is known for his work in promoting the York Rite and refining that ritual, He was made a Mason, Blue Lodge, in 1793.
Now according to Robert H Brown, in his work "Stellar Theology and Masonic Astronomy" dated 1882, Webb invented the Keystone symbol, ref pp 86, Brown even suggest that Webb added two of his initials to the original sequence which, according to Brown, was only six letters, HTSTKS, ref pp 87.
There is a big problem with this explanation, Webb was made a master mason in 1793, George Washington was presented an apron by La Fayette in or around 1784, this apron reflects the eight letter sequence at the top, HTWSSTKS.
What Brown asserts as fact cannot be true. So, where did this sequence originate? Where did Brown get the information that it was originally only six letters, HTSTKS? and if he made it up, why would he do so?
Does this allude to some greater mystery surrounding the York Rite?

GKA

Premium Member
The explanation comes in the degree work of the Y.R. after Blue Lodge

Thank you for the info, I am well aware of the degree and ritual work/explanation, I am researching its history and what aspect was contributed by Thomas Webb

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Thank you for the info, I am well aware of the degree and ritual work/explanation, I am researching its history and what aspect was contributed by Thomas Webb
Sorry for mis-reading your post. I'd be very interested in the results of your research if you publish!

S&F
Bro. Bill

Reactions: GKA

GKA

Premium Member
Robert Brown also states that there is no record of the Keystone symbol prior to the work of Webb, around 1799, and he believes that Webb invented the Keystone symbol, Perhaps for the reason alluded to?

crono782

Premium Member
Not all the rituals have as much of the ancient mystery school feel to them as the first 3 degrees. At some point, the ritualists of the day began to formulate their own, with varying degrees of success catching on. It would not surprise me to learn that Webb put the polish on the ritual concerning the keystone, but I would strongly suspect that it had been alluded to previously in perhaps more obscure ritual that has not survived history, although I could be wrong. I've also seen the 8 letter combinations, but with a different meaning. I'm guessing this may have been a by-product of the 19th century ritual changes in response to the many exposes of the day. Maybe the addition of 2 letters was also a by-product of either the expose response changes or even the merging of the moderns and ancients.

Reactions: GKA

GKA

Premium Member
The only reference I can find that Webb added two letters, which just happen to match his initials, comes from Robert Brown, which must be false because the eight letter sequence is found on the Apron given to George Washington in 1784, ten years before Webb was made a Mason.

Froggo_Zijgeb

If Thomas Smith Webb shoved hiz initials into the sequence, wouldn't hee want to get them the right way round? And uze all of them?
So: hTSWstks.
This "explanation" iz baloney.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
<cough>
1678974233233.png

Froggo_Zijgeb

If the thread duzznt go away, it is going to shew up in searches for HTWSSTKS, which is how ih came upon it. Watch out for zommbizz - they want your Mark jewel