My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help

TheGrandsonOfAMason

Hello brothers, My great-grandpa had one of the highest ranks in the freemasons but mysteriously
died my mom got his papers on when he turned the highest level and there was Latin on them so I translated it and it says to all the world's highest architectural glory order from chaos What does it mean

Tele295

Order from chaos is the motto of the 33rd Degree in Scottish Rite Masonry. This is an honorary degree conferred upon 32nd degree Scottish Rite Masons of distinction.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It would be more accurate to say it is the motto of the Supreme Council, 33° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, rather than just the 33°.

The 33° is not honorary degree in the SJ. The 33° is a substantive degree with an obligation.

Last edited:

MarkR

Premium Member
Brother Cook is correct; the 33° is NOT an honorary degree. The confusion stems from the title of Inspector General Honorary. That's because the title indicates that the recipient of the degree is an honorary member of the Supreme Council, as opposed to an active Sovereign Grand Inspector General.

Keith C

Just to add my 2 cents. It is not "One of the highest ranks in freemasonry" as there are no "ranks" as we all meet as equals.

No doubt he was a man of distinction who did good for Freemasonry in general and the AASR in particular, but that does not make him any higher "rank" than any other Master Mason.

Jay Thompson

Brother Cook is correct; the 33° is NOT an honorary degree. The confusion stems from the title of Inspector General Honorary. That's because the title indicates that the recipient of the degree is an honorary member of the Supreme Council, as opposed to an active Sovereign Grand Inspector General.
In the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, the 33° is denoted as honorary. The degree is different from that of the Southern Jurisdiction, having been rewritten by GC Melvin Johnson during the 1930’s.

Winter

Premium Member
In the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, the 33° is denoted as honorary. The degree is different from that of the Southern Jurisdiction, having been rewritten by GC Melvin Johnson during the 1930’s.
Can absolutely confirm how different they are! Having transferred my SR membership from the NMJ to the SJ I was pretty stunned to find out just how different they are. Also, the Master Craftsman Program run by the SJ is amazing.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Just to add my 2 cents. It is not "One of the highest ranks in freemasonry" as there are no "ranks" as we all meet as equals.

No doubt he was a man of distinction who did good for Freemasonry in general and the AASR in particular, but that does not make him any higher "rank" than any other Master Mason.
In AASR-SJ, the term “rank” is used more than once. The UGLE BoC has a section with that caption.

The question of whether we meet on the level as to our Masonic position: It is my view that when in lodge, we meet on the level as to our profane position, and when out of lodge, we are on the level as to our Masonic Office.

A Master has certain powers when acting in office, varying by jurisdiction. For instance, in my mother jurisdiction, a Master's ruling cannot be appealed. In most, he governs the lodge when it is at work. In many, he can rap a person down. In some, stop the meetings and conduct a disciplinary process for acts in the lodge.

If you have served as Master in the US, I suspect you assented to the ancient charges (in the language of that time), including the "homage" due a Grand Master and his officers for the time being, and "veneration" of the successors of the original rulers. You may have assented to the Ancient Charges. Those indidicate in the language of that century the "reverence" due a Master and wardens.

It is typical in English speaking jurisdictions to have a charge to the brethren at the installation/investiture: " brethren, such is the nature of our institution that as some must of necessity rule and teach, so others must learn to submit and obey."
Importantly, it continues: "Humility in each is an essential duty."
Thus, the ritual supports both points: we do not meet on the level, but we are equal as men.

In many jurisdictions, a grand master has near plenary power, and some rituals specifically indicate the GM is “raised from the level of equality.”

It is common that Masonic lodges are constructed so that officers sit above others during the meeting. That, you will agree, means they are physically not on the level. You will agree that in Masonry, our ritual is symbolic. There is symbolic meaning to this physical placement during the meeting. And, at the end of a meeting, the officers step down from the elevated positions to show they again meet on the level as to masonic rank.

Let me put it another way: Unless you are self employed, someone in your workplace has the power to fire you. While you are equal as to your humanity, clearly, you are not on the level in the workplace. If you are in the military, while we teach that everyone is equal, clearly, you know that we do not meet on the level.

I have been a judge and an attorney. When I appear before a judge as an attorney, we are neither physically nor professionally on the level, even though we are equal as human beings and I may be more the knowledgeable. If you are a criminal defendant, and the judge has the power to place you in prison, you will surely agree that you're not meeting on the level, even though you are due the respect of a fellow being.

MarkR

Premium Member
I attended the NMJ 33° conferral in Cleveland last summer, just because I wanted to see their version. Yes, it's very, very different from the SJ.

Now I want to see the Prince Hall Scottish Rite 33° if I can.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I attended the NMJ 33° conferral in Cleveland last summer, just because I wanted to see their version. Yes, it's very, very different from the SJ.

Now I want to see the Prince Hall Scottish Rite 33° if I can.
I saw the NMJ 33 many years ago, followed by a four hour lunch at the Army-Navy Club, in which we rambled on for one of the most entertaining afternoons I recollect.
I’ve not seen the PHA 33, but I will get to attend their KYCH Convent General next week.

Bloke

Premium Member
I think Bro Cook as covered off the Rank thing.. but I would like to add another comment, from the view we do indeed have "masonic ranks", Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason being three most of us have. (And I like the idea I hold all three).

When I became a Freemason, a friend asked " If you are all equal, why do you have ranks" ? I responded rank was not above privileged, but about your ceremonial role and to duties you owed to your Lodge and the Organization as a whole.

For other non-Freemasons, ranks in Freemasonry are not akin to ranks in the military. Rank is not about privilege or power, it's about service.