My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good books...

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Has anyone read any good books recently???
Any disappointing books??

It does not have to be masonic related.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I already mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but I recently read "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. It is fascinating, well written, and I learned a lot.

I will read anything written by Mortimer Adler. I particularly recommend "Six Great Ideas" and "Ten Philosophical Mistakes".

dfreybur

Premium Member
How about science fiction and fantasy?

I tried to read Game of Thrones. Boring, political, many knotted threads. Okay for folks who like that but not much as an SF/fantasy book.

The Time Traveller's Wife. I didn't see the movie. Remarkably well crafted story that jumps from time to time but tells a coherent story anyways. I bet the movie works with nearly no special effects at all. That's a very good feature in SF. I should definitely see the movie now.

Some pulp SF novels. Books in the "Ender's Game" franchise and "Star Wars" franchise. Action adventure with tech. Fun and without pretensions.

I recently got the JRR Tolkein translation of Beowulf. Not sure if I'm ready to read a fourth translation of the story yet so there it sits on my shelf tempting me.

On the non-fiction front -

I just finished Neitsche's A Joyful Wisdom. It's a notebook style assembly not intended to be published as a book. Sort of like Marcus Aurelius's Meditations in form. A lot of the thoughts make sense. Must get past the fact that no entry longer than a page is intended to hold together on its own.

Since I was reading notebook style books I tried Pascal's Penes ("Thoughts"). Ugh. I am NOT a Pascal fan other than his mathematics.

I am nearing the end of Bullfinch Mythology. I remember nearly all of these stories from comparative mythology class when I was a kid. Bullfinch gives a brief summary of the old stories without any discussion of the layers of symbolic meaning. Okay for someone with a passing interest in one of the sets of myths that supply the context for western civilization - The Illiad, Oddessey and Anead are like as Cliff's Notes versions. I would rather get a quarter the number of stories at four times the depth.

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
Just started Nietzsche's "the Antichrist". Slogging through "Morals and Dogma".

Keep hearing that I need to read "Born In Blood".

Has anyone read "Discovering Freemasonry In Context" by John Bizzack? Looks intriguing, but wanted to hear some opinions before I buy it.

phillipcwardlaw

I just bought - The better angels of our nature -Freemasonry in the American civil war by

Michael A. Halleran
Anyone read it? I hadn't started it yet

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
The Alchemist by Paul Cohelo is a great novel. It is about a boy in medieval times who apprentices himself to a guild of stonemasons. In the story they teach him Geometry. At one point they explain to him to draw a regular dodecahedron using only a compass and a straight edge. A dodecahedron is a 12 sided figure, where each side is a pentagon and all the sides are the same size. I was in disbelief when I read it! I set the book down. went and found a compass, straight edge, pencil and paper, and followed the directions. Sure enough within an hour I had drawn one of these figures: http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/dodecahedron.html With only a compass and a straightedge! I was stunned!

While the book is not about Freemasonry it certainly gave me a new appreciation of Geometry.

BroBook

Premium Member
"God's Daughter" & "The testament" are fiction? But both were good reads year ago !!!

Bro Book
M.W.U.G.L. Of Fl: P.H.A.
Excelsior # 43
At pensacola

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Anyone read Stephen kings the stand?

I finished the builders and was looking to switch topics.

crono782

Premium Member
Yeah I've read it. Loved it. Just don't watch the TV movie, hah. Ties in very well w/ his Dark Tower series (which I'm currently re-reading).

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
I just finished Hall's "Lost Keys of Freemasonry", and as I stated above, "wow!"

For me personally, and I realize this will probably rub my brother Christians the wrong way, I find Hall's philosophy more reasonable than the Christian doctrine, at least the version I was a part of for twelve years. I'm not intending to offend anyone, as I am speaking about my own journey toward more light.

The part of his philosophy that grabs me the most is the idea that our lives alone and one lived with great care toward developing strong moral virtues and actions are what we present as the "lost word" that gains us admission into the lodge eternal. I find the idea that an unworthy man who makes a declaration of faith on his deathbed instantly gains admission unsettling. Of course, I realize there are different interpretations and positions within the various schools of Christianity on faith vs. works, and I'm ready for a brother here to correct me on my "lack of understanding of the true redemptive work of Christ," but again, this is where my path has thus far brought me. I am still working out my own "salvation with fear and trembling".

And not that I am saying that Hall's philosophy alone is the only masonic interpretation to be had, or that based on Hall's ideas that freemasonry and Christianity are at odds. I'm just simply stating that for me, on my own personal journey, having been a committed Christian who truly sought to know God, reading this book has inspired me to continue to learn to subdue my passions and improve myself, and to appreciate masonic teachings and continue eastward.

Morris

Premium Member
I just started it off your recommendation. So far I enjoyed the forward by Blight and the introduction. I'll let you know how the rest of it goes. Pretty unique that it was written by the uninitiated (at the time at least).

Jeff

BroBook

Premium Member
I just finished Hall's "Lost Keys of Freemasonry", and as I stated above, "wow!"

For me personally, and I realize this will probably rub my brother Christians the wrong way, I find Hall's philosophy more reasonable than the Christian doctrine, at least the version I was a part of for twelve years. I'm not intending to offend anyone, as I am speaking about my own journey toward more light.

The part of his philosophy that grabs me the most is the idea that our lives alone and one lived with great care toward developing strong moral virtues and actions are what we present as the "lost word" that gains us admission into the lodge eternal. I find the idea that an unworthy man who makes a declaration of faith on his deathbed instantly gains admission unsettling. Of course, I realize there are different interpretations and positions within the various schools of Christianity on faith vs. works, and I'm ready for a brother here to correct me on my "lack of understanding of the true redemptive work of Christ," but again, this is where my path has thus far brought me. I am still working out my own "salvation with fear and trembling".

And not that I am saying that Hall's philosophy alone is the only masonic interpretation to be had, or that based on Hall's ideas that freemasonry and Christianity are at odds. I'm just simply stating that for me, on my own personal journey, having been a committed Christian who truly sought to know God, reading this book has inspired me to continue to learn to subdue my passions and improve myself, and to appreciate masonic teachings and continue eastward.
What was that version? Why do you think there are different versions ? Are you aware that the word "CHRISTAIN" was first applied as a negative term, something like followers of that dead man? As it was before the beguiling so shall it be in the ending! WWEA!!!SMIB

Bro Book
M.W.U.G.L. Of Fl: P.H.A.
Excelsior # 43
At pensacola

MasterBulldawg

Check out Michael J. Karpovage's -The Tununda Mysteries.

About this author
Michael Karpovage is a native of western New York and a graduate of Rochester Institute of Technology. He has worked in the design and marketing field for over twenty years as an art director and map illustrator. He is a Freemason and lives in Roswell, GA. The main character Jake Tununda is a mason.

MAP OF THIEVES (2014) is Michael's second mystery thriller and features a military historian on a hunt for an ancient Cherokee treasure.

CROWN OF SERPENTS (2009) is Michael's debut mystery thriller and features a military historian on a hunt for an ancient Iroquois treasure.
http://www.karpovagecreative.com/

Morris

Premium Member
I just picked up Manly P. Hall's "The Lost Keys of Freemasonry". Wow, just wow.

It's available for free in pdf form, just do an internet search.

After reading this I will say I have a mixed review. I really enjoyed the forward and introduction. I did not really care for chapters 2-4. For me, it was too much word smithing and not enough substance. I think I had a bit of a bias because I knew he hadn't actually experienced what he had written. Maybe that took some of the charm away for me. Chapter 5 and on was really fascinating to me.
Thanks for the recommend, in the end it was thought provoking with very little time invested.