My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry Stereotypes from non brothers

A big masonic and Scottish rite stereotype for people i personally know , and who obviously have no clue about the craft, is they think FreeMasons are a Protestant, W.A.S.P. Organization or fraternity. They also think the Scottish Rite is for Protestant Scottish Men. Im part Italian American and German American and proud of both Masonry has deep roots in Italy, Bavaria, Germany ect. And Europe as a whole. Has anyone else ever experience ignorant non brothers who lack knowledge in their daily travels ?

Rob427W

The Illuminati being associated with the Freemasons is something I hear a whole lot about from patients, almost on a daily basis.

Because of that only two people in the whole clinic are aware that I am a Mason. I don't want them to feel a certain way about me.

j_gimpy

I hear the Illuminati/NWO stuff a lot from my friends, which I think is partially due to my age. Being only 20 my friends buy into a lot of that stuff pretty easily. I explain the reality of it to them, which is good enough for most. However, for those who prefer fantasy I just nod, smile, and say "Yep. World domination, one pancake breakfast and college scholarship at a time." or "Of course we had the National Treasure! It's a shame we swindled it all, though. Now we have to have spaghetti dinners to afford new carpet." It at least gets a chuckle.

I also have a lot of Irish American Catholic friends who I assume we raised not like Protestantism, because of the whole Ireland vs England, Catholic vs Protestant thing. A few of them are knights of a Colombus members. I think the Catholic church has , in years past , shined a dim light on freemasonry. I also get a lot of "Freemasonry thats is own religion right ?! " I explain to them its not the case at all we all believe I'm a higher power and great architect of the universe.

Its amazing how the tv and media , especially , YouTube and Internet have a lot of very negative opinions about freemasonry. I have seen all the documentaries and mason movies out there. I personally have a strong interest in the esoteric freemasonry, and the occult , and I believe that had a lot to do with my interest in the craft, so in a way it drew me in not shunned me away. I like secrets and society's . I enjoy being a part of an ancient brotherhood.

The Illuminati being associated with the Freemasons is something I hear a whole lot about from patients, almost on a daily basis.

Because of that only two people in the whole clinic are aware that I am a Mason. I don't want them to feel a certain way about me.

I hear ya sometimes its just not worth people feeling a certain way about you because of their ignorance and lack of knowledge about the craft

I hear the Illuminati/NWO stuff a lot from my friends, which I think is partially due to my age. Being only 20 my friends buy into a lot of that stuff pretty easily. I explain the reality of it to them, which is good enough for most. However, for those who prefer fantasy I just nod, smile, and say "Yep. World domination, one pancake breakfast and college scholarship at a time." or "Of course we had the National Treasure! It's a shame we swindled it all, though. Now we have to have spaghetti dinners to afford new carpet." It at least gets a chuckle.

Kill them with kindness and comedy love the approach lol

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
...a Protestant, W.A.S.P. Organization...
As a young man, this is exactly what I thought Freemasonry was. Why? Because it described every Mason I'd ever met, and pretty much all of them in my home-town. They never talked about the reality, so it wasn't until much later in life that I learned differently. When the truth was revealed, I began looking for a mentor and eventually petitioned.

Does anyone ever not go into detail talking about freemasonry with someone because you don't want them involved, because they seem like a jerk about the craft ? Sometimes I wont talk to that person about it because I don't think they are worthy to join our brotherhood. But If they flat out asked me to become a brother thats different.

nfasson

I usually find that they cling to these conspiracy theories bc it's easier to blame a shadowy world dominating organization for their problems than the fact that they only really have themselves to blame.

The Fundamentalist Christian hatred of Freemasonry, however, is more baffling to me, but I guess they hate anything that promotes reason and logic over blind acceptance. I feel sorry for these people bc they are so easily manipulated.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
As a former fundamentalist Christian I understand their dislike for freemasonry. Most of what was said was outright lies or conspiracy speculation that suited the needs of those with an agenda as leaders in the church. It also helped "prove" their understanding of the "end times" and the book of Revelation. The Freemasons and the NWO fit the ideal "bad guys".

To be honest, I'm actually surprised to hear of so many fundamentalist Christians who are also Freemasons since I remember that a big part of fundamentalism is that Christians aren't suppose to fellowship with unbelievers (or non-fundamentalist Christians for that matter). Dominionism played a big part and we were constantly told that Christians were to win the world for Jesus and were supposed to rule and reign in the earth.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Backwoodslion

Yeah everyone at my work calls it illuminati and also devil worshippers. It's getting real annoying what can I tell them to get them off my back and maybe help then understand the craft better

MarkR

Premium Member
Have them read Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry by Arturo DeHoyos, S. Brent Morris and Jim Tresner. Or read it yourself so you are armed with the counter arguments.

However, don't expect much. I've found those who are invested in anti-Masonry don't want to hear any evidence to the contrary. They're absolutely convinced that they're right, and as for you, they'll either say that you aren't high-ranking enough to know the truth, or they'll say "of course you deny it; you swore to never reveal the truth." They have constructed a "heads I win, tails you lose" scenario for themselves, so I just don't debate with them.

rpbrown

Premium Member
I really had to laugh yesterday. I dropped my bike of for some repairs to a guy that is a leader in our church. Now, he is one of those that thinks we are all of the stereotype. However, in our conversation, he asked if I would be going on the ride to benefit the SR hospital this weekend. I told him that I was working and couldn't make it.
Then I asked him, "if you are so against Masons, why are you supporting the SR?" His comment was that the SR had nothing to do with Masonry but was to help children with bone and muscle issues.
At this point I was trying to decide if I told him the truth, whether he would still attend to support the hospital. I decided to chance it and said, you know that SR are an appendent body of Masons and, up until last year, were totally supported by Masons. Then I said that until not too long ago, to have a child admitted, they had to be recommended by a Mason.
At first, I thought he was going to call me a liar and I would have to prove it to him. Then as the converstion went on, I was thinking he was not going to go to the ride. Toward the end of the conversation, his comment was " maybe I have mis-judged the Masons". I asked him how long he had known me and he said about 15 years. I said you have known I was a Mason all along and I have never denied it. I am also a SR Mason, that is what we do. Do you think I would be associated with those that are as everyone perceives? His comment, well I guess not.
Hope he has fun on the ride.