My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry called a cult

BWiederhold

What is to be said when the topic if Freemasonry comes up and someone says that it is a cult? How do you defend against that? I may not be a Mason but I know enough to know that it is not a cult but most people are quick to assume. When Freemasonry is brought up and something similar happens what is your response?

~Open Minded~

crono782

Premium Member
Ask them to stop right there, back up a sentence, and assume their tin foil hat before saying that again. ;)
You ought to give them a quick schooling on the world "occult". That is, it is from latin "occultus" meaning hidden or secret. In a strictly literal sense, yes it is occult in nature. The fact that the word has also been co-opted by other groups to mean magical or dark arts has no specific bearing on us.
Given that definition you can say, yes, we are secretive *in nature*, but not specifically a secret society. We dabble in no magics nor anything of that nature. We are less offensive in our ritual than probably any college frat you are likely to find out there and a good deal more well behaved.
I ask, "what exactly do you think goes on and where did you hear about it?" "Oh that conspiracy theorist website? Oh a friend of a cousin of an ex of a coworker? Oh the simpsons stonecutters episode?" Well then, you *must* be more of an expert than I. <roll eyes and walk away>

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Freemasonry does not describe itself as a Cult and nor do we Freemasons so there is nothing to defend against. As we can't be held responsible for non-Masons' gullibility in believe such silly ideas.

If someone told me that I was a member of a Cult I would ask them to explain what they meant and then I would answer anything specific that they mentioned.

dfreybur

Premium Member
What is to be said when the topic if Freemasonry comes up and someone says that it is a cult? How do you defend against that?

On the one hand I thank God for the antis. They are so openly and obviously crazy they are easy to identify. Lunatics, bigots, tyrants, fanatics and dupes who fall for it.

On the other hand I pray for the mental healing of any one anti.

That's all I need for a response. I intention no need to address point by point any claim I identify as lunacy. If someone can't tell what's lunacy and what isn't based on the people involved, I'm not concerned about that person other than to pray for their mental healing. The most I'll do is ask them to search for famous Masons and compare against the reputations of those they are referencing.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
cult, noun: 1. a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.

We aren't a religion, we aren't extremist, and we don't (as a group) live in "an unconventional manner," nor do we have a specific leader, charismatic or otherwise.

You will hear Freemasonry called a number of things during your Journey. The important thing is what you believe.

Vikti

I remember my wife talking about the definition of a cult that was put out by Janet Reno several years back and by her definition it could be construed that if your a member of any church, synagog, etc., regardless of how radicle or conservative it may be, your in a cult

My Freemasonry HD

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I remember my wife talking about the definition of a cult that was put out by Janet Reno several years back and by her definition it could be construed that if your a member of any church, synagog, etc., regardless of how radicle or conservative it may be, your in a cult

You wife may have talked about it, but Janet Reno never said anything to this effect (http://www.snopes.com/quotes/reno.asp, http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/j/janetreno.htm#.Ul0u4VAUk1M, http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blreno.htm, http://www.gerryreid.com/viruses.htm#reno).

dfreybur

Premium Member

On an extremely simple scale the meaning works like this -

Cult - Someone else's religion. Religion - My cult. It's accurate but any Mason who lives up to our open minded reputation is well past that level.

http://www.skepticfiles.org/xhate/cultdang.htm

There are a lot of 10 point lists going around that gauge the danger of any religion based on its practices. Every list I've seen so far has been based on the one by Isaac Bonewitz. The idea is that one should be able to go down a list of points and compare how dangerous their own faith is compared to the large mainstream ones, or among the large mainstream ones. If your church gets a high number there is sense in labeling it a cult whether you want to or not. If your church gets a low number then others calling it a cult says more about them than it does about your church.

The scale can be applied to organizations other than religions. Dictatorships score high. Check out the list and see for yourself how Freemasonry scores on the scale.

tantbrandon

Premium Member
I very simply and eloquent piece of advice I heard an old pm say once was, " Just remember, I don't come to the lodge to worship god. That's what a church is for." That's always stuck with me when people talk about theology and masonry.

My Freemasonry HD

Lowcarbjc

You know what.. I have learned to not defend it anymore, once a person has decided and made up his/her mind that its apparently something evil its difficult to convince them otherwise. I used to get the "Oh you are only a first degree, once you move in the higher degrees you will see hoe evil it is" - So what do I do these days? Once I see after a very short conversation that they are not serious to find out more about the craft and have made up their mind how "bad " it is, I simply tell them in a very story like overdramatic tone that they are mistaken, its not evil in the higher degrees its actually evil right from the first degree already! We do not waste time and we do every evil thing they have ever read, and yes we control the white house right from my small home town, actually from my garage and sometimes even my bathroom, and yes we do occult dances before we each get a turn to drink from lucifers blood. I make it so totally ridiculous and then without fail they realize that I am not defending anything and never bother or persecute me about it ever again.

My Freemasonry HD

Lowcarbjc

by the way, this approach is only my own and not what I recommend to anyone else, I only use it if they keep on ranting and talking about it. It shuts those negative people up for good.

I have also since decided not to advertise my membership where I know it will provoke negative conversation. Unlike my religious beliefs, Freemasonry is not exactly the "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel" type of thing. If people want to think its bad, let it be, they wont go to hell for misunderstanding it. :)

My Freemasonry HD

NonNobis

This reminds me of the Tao te Ching: "When wise students hear about the Way,
they follow it with care. When ordinary students hear about the Way,
they sometimes believe in it, and sometimes doubt. When foolish students hear about the Way, they laugh at it out loud. If they did not laugh at it, it would not be the Way." I think this could aptly be written about the light of masonry as well. Before I became a mason, I thought that any esoteric institution was innately selfish. If you had the key to making people's lives better, why hoard it? Why not give it to all? After encountering enough wise, average, and foolish students, I now see that not everyone is prepared to receive light, and some never will be. To the laughers no response can ever be adequate, and this is why the light must be sought out.

My Freemasonry HD

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

My Freemasonry HD

The definition of a Cult would resemble modern religion more than Freemasonry.

nfasson

Whoever says this has absolutely no idea what a cult is... plain and simple. They should look up Jonestown or Scientology or the Raelians, which are the best examples.

But, then again, I don't think reason or logic would probably appeal to this person.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Generally, I say nothing. When you engage a fool in an argument, you usually end up having to come down to his level, which is a utter waste of time and energy. Besides, when I get the urge to discuss the craft, I find a brother who understands it and I talk to them.
Sounds good! I'll remember this.