My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry AS religion?

Manwell

While I have no idea why you went down this road, you have chosen the wrong definition for the suffix of ism. In this instance, it is a distinctive doctrine, cause, or theory, thus Gnosticism, the idea that only through attaining secret knowledge can people find their salvation and overcome the material world. It is not a process as defined, but a doctrine, one deemed hetertical by the Christian Church.

And I’m not sure how the rest of your thoughts follow.

May I ask about your higher education?

You may ask about my higher education, but I don't see how that should be relevant to the discussion.

I was replying to Elexir's comment about changing the term used for gnostics, so gnosticism is a distinctive doctrine or theory, but it's also the art, practice, or process, of KNOWING.

The idea you've outlined about it is right, and if the Christian Church deemed it heretical, it must be good.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Then I shall ask: what is your higher education?
You may ask about my higher education, but I don't see how that should be relevant to the discussion.

I was replying to Elexir's comment about changing the term used for gnostics, so gnosticism is a distinctive doctrine or theory, but it's also the art, practice, or process, of KNOWING.

The idea you've outlined about it is right, and if the Christian Church deemed it heretical, it must be good.

K4DL

Most of the "churhes" in my area are small and do very little other than struggle to pay the bills and keep the grass cut. A couple are larger and do events like "bring your dog to church day', "bounce house day', 'go to the river day', and "hand out boxes of food day". I have found most to be rather shallow in teaching but always ready to argue that they are not shallow. What the Lodge gives me, as does my membership in the American Legion, is an avenue to live out my faith and do for others. It is not my religion but it is where my religion is put into action. The local churches do not offer me such possibilities so I must do so where I can. Most organized religion is about showing up and showing off in my experience.