My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemasonry AS religion?

Winter

Premium Member
An excellent article at The Midnight Freemason today. I have often wondered if we maintained the stance that Freemasonry is not a substitute for organized religion for the sole purpose of not presenting a threat to those religions. So we would not be seen as competition. But how many of us know fellow Brothers whose only religious type of observance is in the Lodge? Does the Lodge function as a church for some Brothers even if they don't admit it out loud?

http://www.midnightfreemasons.org/2021/08/is-lodge-my-church.html?m=1

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MarkR

Premium Member
Freemasonry has no dogma, doesn't tell you what is a sin and what isn't, doesn't prescribe a path to salvation. So it doesn't meet the definition of a religion. But I remember when Brother Ernest Borgnine said "Freemasonry is all the religion I need." I fully understood what he was saying. It provides the fellowship, sacred space, and introspection that religion, at its best, does.

So, in my opinion, it's not a religion, but it can be a religion substitute for some people.

Winter

Premium Member
Freemasonry has no dogma, doesn't tell you what is a sin and what isn't, doesn't prescribe a path to salvation. So it doesn't meet the definition of a religion. But I remember when Brother Ernest Borgnine said "Freemasonry is all the religion I need." I fully understood what he was saying. It provides the fellowship, sacred space, and introspection that religion, at its best, does.

So, in my opinion, it's not a religion, but it can be a religion substitute for some people.

That's the thing. The actual definition of religion contains none of those elements.

re·li·gion, /rəˈlijən/, noun, the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

the Christian view of sin isn't found in every religion. Neither is their view of salvation. Religion is merely whatever way a person connects to deity. I can see how we have come to the conclusion that it doesn't meet the basic requirements of a religion as we look at it through the lens of the Abrahamic faiths that the majority of Masons belong to. But the fact is, we don't have a monopoly on what constitutes religion.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
The problem
is Trivial Ignorance.

There's a huge difference between
being religious
and being a religion.

Of course,
if more people studied the Trivium,
this would not be a problem.​

Winter

Premium Member
The problem
is Trivial Ignorance.

There's a huge difference between
being religious
and being a religion.

Of course,
if more people studied the Trivium,
this would not be a problem.​
Religion vs religious sounds like many of the Deism conversations ive had. And I agree on theack of education of the trivium as well as the quadrivium.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk